Join our zoo community

Favorite Zoo Animal Names?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kqpikachu, 4 Feb 2023.

1. kqpikachu

kqpikachu Active Member

Have any of you guys heard names for zoo animals that you just really liked? I love hearing the wide variety of names that animals are given in zoos, and wondering if you guys have any favorites?

I think the most clever one I’ve seen is Lincoln Park Zoo’s two African painted dog sisters Georgia and Frida, I appreciate a good art history reference. Brookfield Zoo’s pygmy hippo, Banana, has a super cute and fitting name too.

Animals with mixed naming themes because of transfers are kind of funny too. I’ve seen a Black-and-White Colobus exhibit where some of the monkeys had beautiful Swahili and Indian names, then one of them was named Beano. It was definitely a very fitting name for him though

Corangurilla and JVM like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Chimo the Polar bear:

Chimo was born 1960 at Auckland Zoo and was the zoo’s only Polar bear cub to survive to adulthood. His name was an Inuit greeting, not especially original, but was the perfect name for a Polar bear imo. Chimo died in 1979, so I never met him personally, but have certainly read a lot about him.

Chomel the Malayan sun bear:

Chomel was born 1988 at Zoo Miami and arrived at Wellington Zoo in 1992. She was originally called Spot after a black spot on her sun marking, but her and her mate (Stanley) were reamed Chomel and Bakti. Chomel means cute in Malaysian and is a name I’ve heard on other species (including an orangutan), but none have better suited it than this sun bear. Not sure why, but this name just conjures up images of a honey loving bear.

Lucifer the Common chimpanzee:

When a pair of chimpanzee Auckland Zoo had received from Taronga Zoo, welcomed their first infant together in 1988, they continued Taronga’s tradition of naming the infant with a name beginning with its mother initial. Lucy’s infant was therefore given an L name (Lucifer). Lucifer was chosen for the additional reason of this chimpanzee’s birthdate being 16/06/88. Not quite 06/06/06 but I guess they thought that was close enough.

Ironically, Lucifer has always been a subdued placid male compared to his younger brother Luka, who attacked their father, leaving him with injuries that led to his death; and fatally injured a female in an introductory context.

JT and StoppableSan like this.
  3. TheImmigrant1

TheImmigrant1 Well-Known Member

Jonathan the Lion was a Houston legend and continues to be mourned and remembered to this day. He was rescued as a cub from a private owner who kept him in horrid conditions and arrived at the zoo in 2006 where he was hailed as a king by keepers and guests alike. As someone who had the honor of seeing him face to face, he was absolute majestic with a regal and stunning dark mane and his enclosure was usually flocked with people trying to get a glimpse of him (when he wasn’t just sleeping around atleast). He unfortunately passed away at the age of 18 due to a blood clot in 2016, and with all due respect to his spiritual successor Hasani, no lion will ever live up to the legacy of Jonathan in I and many other Houstonian’s eyes.

4. Torgos

Torgos Well-Known Member

I've known two zebras called Spot......

5. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

The Ecotarium in Massachusetts used to have a fox named Socks.

6. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Let's see...
    Henry Vilas has 4 Red-Footed Tortoises named after various turtle Pokémon: Squirtle, Torkoal, Torterra, and Shuckle. As a Pokémon fan, I appreciate the reference.
    Their Alligator Snapping Turtle is named "Lazarus", which just sounds cool.
    "Beefcake" the American Bison, "Shrek" the Capybara, and "Steve" the Agouti all had funny names.
    As for non HVZ animals, I really like "Hank" for Columbus's main bull elephant. It's just a very "big"-sounding name, kind of sounds like "tank", I guess?
    Philadelphia had a Polar Bear named "Coldilocks", a pun so bad that it loops right back around into being good.
    Special shoutout to Cincinnati's King Penguin rookery. They're all named after various "Kings": Larry "King", Martin Luther "King", Burger "King", etc. I still say that if they ever hatch another King Penguin, they should name it "Dedede" because King Dedede is a literal penguin, but they don't have to do that.

7. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The world's most famous (or at least as far as I know of) hippo, Fiona, is one of the names that I do think absolutely fits for that particular animal. She might not be the most attractive person ever (read: an ogre), but she is a beautiful princess and a great mascot for the zoo as well.

Also I love the fact that Los Angeles Zoo (Later transferred to Brandywine Zoo) used to have a Southern Pudu named Haechan. I think more zoos should have more animals named after Kpop idols. When can we have an Arctic Fox named Jimin?

8. ifesbob

ifesbob Well-Known Member

There's a group of otters, all named after food except one named Kevin. One was chosen by poll: Rutubaga, not Kevin. I just think that's funny.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  9. Nile Hippo Expert

Nile Hippo Expert Well-Known Member

This one is very funny! The Philadelphia Zoo had a Polar Bear named "Coldilocks" as a play on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. She sadly passed away in 2018 at age thirty-eight.

10. CrashMegaraptor

CrashMegaraptor Well-Known Member

Banham Zoo used to have a Black-Headed Spider Monkey who only had one arm. He had the very appropriate name of "Bandit".

I also got a personal chuckle at Howletts Zoo and their Fishing Cat, "Sanker". I always used to come up with a little rhyme for him, although my parents never let me say the last word.

"Sanker was a Banker who dropped an Anchor on a Tanker. What a [REDACTED]!"

TheImmigrant1 likes this.
  11. TheImmigrant1

TheImmigrant1 Well-Known Member

Adding on to this thread again, the Watusi Cattle from Houston always had hilarious names in my opinion. Those being Danny Boy, Alley Oop, and Looney Tune.