Join our zoo community

Favorite Zoo-based Cartoon Episodes?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Emanuel Theodorus, 14 Nov 2020.

Tags:
  1. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For anyone who has watched cartoons, what are your favorite episodes that takes place in zoo setting?

For me, I have a few examples:
    1. A Day At A Zoo from Merrie Melodies

I loved this cartoon when I found it on Youtube when I was still a kid. This episode is about showcasing animals based on many wordplay. Growing up, I loved it even more because of how much jokes went over my head when I was a kid. From the monkey who scolds the old lady (HEY SISTER, CAN"T YOU READ?!) to Egghead keeps teasing the lion (I'm a baaad boy.) this episode just never fails to crack me up.

2. Panda-monium from Mickey Mouse Cartoons

This episode focuses on Mickey Mouse trying to take a picture of a baby panda who just keeps hiding its face when Mickey tries to take a photo of it. Every single try ends up in an accident (swung by the elephant, thrown by the monkey, ect) and it's just hilarious. I love how this episode also sometimes capture the struggle of animals who just can't show it's face to the camera while trying to take a good photo of it.

One honorable mention goes to:
    The Zoo from Peppa Pig

Now I liked this episode not because it's hilarious like the previous two or anything, but the sheer irony of many anthromorphic animals visiting a zoo is just hilarious. We have exotic animals like gazelle, elephant, zebra, and giraffe visiting the zoo while also a lion and a crocodile working at a zoo taking care of the animals at the zoo. And then we have penguins, turtles, and butterflies who seem to be not sentient beings in a world of anthromorphic animals. I don't know man, it's just funny af to think about it.

Zoofan15 and carl the birder like this.
  2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Free Willzyx, an episode of (the admittedly adult focused) South Park, truly hilarious. It gets really weird towards the end.

Emanuel Theodorus likes this.
  3. Emanuel Theodorus

Speaking of adult cartoons, I remember From A to Zoo (part 1 & 2) from Happy Tree Friends,

What makes these episodes pretty memorable is the fact that when I was a kid, I was searching for a video of A-Z for zoo animals, because I loved A-Z videos featuring zoo animals back then. After I type A to Zoo, this episode shows up in the first result (It still does now), and I innocently thought this was one of those types of videos. After clicking the video I was kinda traumatised (especially with Cuddles's eye balloon) by it's goriness because I just didn't expect goriness from this innocent looking cartoon, and that's how I discovered Happy Tree Friends which I was admittedly fascinated by it.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that Avatar: The Last Airbender is the greatest television show ever created. It does have an episode in Season 2 called "The Tales of Ba-Sing-Sei". Unlike every other episode of the show, this episode is shown in a collection of short 3-5 stories each featuring a different characater. The section with the zoo isn't bad, but it's probably the weakest part of that episode (only because the rest of the episode is so good, though).

Emanuel Theodorus likes this.
  5. Emanuel Theodorus

I never would've thought Avatar have a zoo-based episode, but that's good to know. Since you say that the zoo part is the weakest part, have you ever watch any other memorable zoo-based episodes?

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like the zoo episode of Milo Murphy's Law.

7. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

My favorite zoo episode is from the show Family Guy where Peter and Brian break into the zoo to steal a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

Brum likes this.
  8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Every episode of The Hair Bear Bunch takes place in the Wonderland Zoo.

9. Emanuel Theodorus

The Penguins of Madagascar also took place in Central Park Zoo for the whole series, and I love that show.

But... I was kinda looking for a zoo-specific episodes.

evilmonkey239 and Ned like this.
  10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There was this one episode of Doreamon which Doreamon gave Nobita some wildlife encyclopedias which the user could pullout the animals in the book out to reality and Nobita used the books to have his own backyard zoo. Gian and Sueno get jealous and steal the book that has the dangerous animals.

BenFoxster likes this.
  11. Emanuel Theodorus

Is it this one? (This one has Indonesian subtitles)

12. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

yup, that's the one.

while trying to find it I also found an episode about how nobita and doraemon saved an elephant from the military euthanizing it in WWII.

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. Emanuel Theodorus

I gotta say though, I'm impressed with the amount of variety of animals in that episode. The dangerous animals aren't just the typical lions, tigers, and bears but also Komodo Dragon, Honey Badger, Cassowary, and Snapping Turtle. Not to mention the other non dangerous animals such as Shoebill, Capybara, and even the monkeys had variety in species not just a generic one. Honestly it's one of my favorite zoo episodes now.

BenFoxster likes this.
  14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had this idea if there was cartoon with accurate drawned animals with a cartoon day in a life at the zoo like TV Show’s like The Zoo at Bronx Zoo and San Diego on Animal Planet, The secret life of the zoo at Chester Zoo, and countless others.

also there is this 1980s tv series “Zoobilee Zoo”, does that count?

BenFoxster likes this.
  15. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had this discussion with the mum of one of my kids about the episode where they visit the aquarium and there’s a bunch of (anthromorphic) cats there. I thought it was hilarious; but she objected to the pet goldfish etc. being portrayed as “lesser beings”. :rolleyes::D

16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There is another show mostly an anime in a fictional zoo in which the animals are human girls with animal parts. "Kemono Friends".

evilmonkey239 likes this.