Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo feasibility study into Taronga Eco Retreat

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 11 Jan 2013.

Tags:
  1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

The tendering process is now open for an eco retreat at Taronga. :confused:
    An interesting new but perhaps not suprising direction for the zoo, thoughts?

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about. Is there a link you can provide about it or can you explain it in a bit more detail if possible. Thanks :)

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

You can look up the tendering page here: https://tenders.nsw.gov.au/oeh/?eve...d&RFTUUID=16D8BCBA-B659-B044-5E3E7FC4AFE17D20

Here is the best description I could find:

4. Interested

Interested Active Member 15+ year member

What site would they build that on?
    A 60 room complex would be rather large for a zoo with the limited space of Taronga.

Eco retreats are great, but they are for a niche market. It would be a good addition to the offer at Taronga and would also generate some good income for the zoo.

To make it a truly attractive offer they should consider water views, so it can be built on the slope below roar and snore (maybe?).

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Or below the concert stage.

The shitpits are below Roar and Snore - you wouldn't want to put accomodation there!

And I've just noticed on Google Maps of the zoo - many of the animal exhibits are labeled.

:p

Hix

6. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

a nice spot for it could be the patch of forest below the crocodile exhibit. if it was built like a tree house with raised boardwalks linking the accomodation together.
    what i would really like to see though, is an emphasis on finishing off the 'master-plan' for taronga. The current enclosures for the big cats could all do with an upgrade, and I still believe that the asian elephants would benefit from an expansion taking up the area which currently holds fennec fox, dhole, p hippo and meerkat/PNG birds.
    taronga has indicated it is looking to build a new sumatran tiger exhibit which would be great. Other changes I would like to see would include:
    new orang exhibit or reconfiguration. current one is not up to standard
    same for gorillas. partially filling in the moat, installing some glass viewing instead of a moat and do something about that horrid mock-rock
    new enclosure for sun bears (if the tiger forest goes ahead on the site of the current bear exhibit)
    a better exhibit for red pandas and snow leopards. zoo would benefit from a proper asian highlands zone
    and the african waterhole needs a complete and utter overhaul.

7. Interested

But it's an eco retreat... how much more 'eco' can you get than sleeping in an animal's shi... you know, nevermind, I won't finish that. :p

8. Interested

Yeah, there's a lot of improvements that can be undertaken. Would be a shame to take up enclosure space for cabins.

Tree houses sound like a great idea though. Would be quite a treat.