Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Female Indian rhino

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jola, 7 Feb 2012.

1. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What about that female Indian rhino from San Diego that was sceduled two years ago/last year. Why hasn't she been transferred yet?Any ideas what's going on?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by telling you that she isn't coming for reasons beyond Chester and San Diego's control. I say no more....

3. catinthehat

catinthehat Well-Known Member

Wasn't it reported in another thread that Chester Zoo received Asha the young female from Whipsnade, last week? I was at Whipsnade on Sunday and only saw the 2 mothers and calves and Hugo the male. If she didn't go to Chester does anyone know where she went?

4. Pt123

Pt123 Well-Known Member

Import restrictions meant that the San Diego female was not a viable option at the time and the move was shelved almost 18 months ago now.

Asha b.2006 at Whipsnade arrived at Chester late on Thursday evening and is settling well.

5. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news! Glad to hear, Beni is not alone any more. :D

Any chance to get some pics of Asha and Beni at Chester for rhinos.eu? Maybe someone could take some photos next time at Chester, please ...

6. Pt123

Pt123 Well-Known Member

Asha is currently being kept indoors whilst she settles. She has met Beni through bars, but they are not yet mixed.

7. Cbarnes1987

Cbarnes1987 Member

took a walk down flag lane with the dog and was suprised to see the pair seemingly quite content with each other :)

8. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

they are a very happy couple - Beni seems smitten :O)

9. Chinchin

Chinchin Active Member

They seem to be getting on really well. They both seemed to be enjoying each other's company, the enclosure and keeping the deer 'on their toes'. Asha likes to keep close to Beni and has a mischievous look about her.

10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Yup totally agree with other comments - Asha was mixed with Beni in late March, when I saw them they looked and seemed content. However, Asha was very nervous of the monorail.