Join our zoo community

Feral animal-populations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 11 Aug 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

I am unsure if this is true or not but I have been told that there is a feral population of coatis in the Lake District that have escaped from South Lakes Zoo.

5. Komodo99

Komodo99 Well-Known Member

A well known case is the Burmese Pythons in the Florida Everglades but there have been reports of other exotic reptiles.
    These include
    Nile Monitors
    Green Iguana
    Argentine Black and White Tegu
    African Rock Python
    Green Anaconda
    Spectacled Caiman
    Even slight but not yet proven cases of Nile Crocodiles in the Everglades as well.

Another case includes Spectacled Caimans being introduced to Cuba and around Zapata Swamp.Because this species is highly adaptable,it is feared that they could endanger the already Critically Endagered endemic Cuban Crocodile population.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

None of the examples listed in this thread so far are feral - they are all introduced populations. A feral species is a domesticated species that has left domesticity and returned to the wild, like cats, dogs, horses, pigs etc.

:p

Hix

Tim May and d1am0ndback like this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It is indeed true - seen one of the buggers myself - although I believe the population never really recovered from a harsh winter around 2010 and is now hanging on by a fingernail.

Swampy, Water Dragon and 14027 like this.
  8. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would, say, a selectively-bred snake colour morph be considered feral then? Such as the albino California Kingsnakes eating their way through native lizards on Gran Canaria?

9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

No. Snakes are not really considered a domesticated species (although there are some people who consider 'domesticated' = 'pet'). And just because they have been bred in captivity for a few generations for a specific colour doesn't make them domesticated either, otherwise all the white tigers would be considered domesticated too.

Incidentally, despite the fact the word is used universally by herpetoculturists, albino snakes are not actually albinos as they usually have some pigment (frequently yellow). Amelanistic is the correct term.

:p

Hix

d1am0ndback and Swampy like this.
  10. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

well that is interesting, as, now that you mention it, although I have seen many snakes labelled as 'amelanistic' and 'albino' in shops, shows and private collections, I can't think of any species where I have seen specimens of labelled as both. Thank you for that interesting fact.