Join our zoo community

Fiji question

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Terry Thomas, 26 Apr 2018.

1. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Has anyone any advice about seeing wild birds on Taveuni island? How do I get about the island?
    Are there tracks into the interior?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There is an airport at the northern tip just near the main town, so you can fly in from Viti Levu or Vanua Levu. There is also a ferry between Taveuni and Vanua Levu. To get around the island there are buses which run around the coast (the only roads are around the edges of the island).

There are tracks in the forest, but almost all the land is owned by somebody (as everywhere in Fiji). There is a public track up from the west coast which you can do alone - not sure how to get there though. On the east coast there's a community-protected forest where you can get guided walks to look for birds, which I recommend - I think it's at Vidawa but I might have that wrong (it's been a while). Basically, supporting the locals in this way ensures that the forest remains protected. It's pretty easy to see Orange Doves and Silktails there.

If you go to a website called Cloudbirders you will find lots of trip reports for Fiji I think, and at least some of them will have all the logistics.

3. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the info. I will follow up the Cloudbirders. Hope to get some decent photos.