Join our zoo community

Finally got to see that species you've wanted to see for years.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Davdhole, 31 Mar 2020.

1. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member

For me it is mostly wild animals that I particularly looked forward to see, and it's a thrill when you finally see them through your binoculars (or in the case of Beech Marten for me, through your car window!).

For zoo animals the list of much, much shorter, though I had very memorable and long-awaited encounters with, for example, Aardwolves, Shoebills, Bird-of-Paradise, Spix' Macaws, Tarsiers, Egyptian Plover, Spider Tortoise, Beluga and Sunda Gharial. Of course, there were a few "zoochatter favourites" that I was rather anxious to meet in time. Think of Baby the River Dolphin in Duisburg, the last Red-shanked Douc in Köln, the Trompet Manucode in Berlin, Walsrode's last Sickle-billed Vanga and the last Eastern Lowland Gorilla in Antwerp, all of which I saw. There were, naturally, also a few painful missers.

I was incredibly lucky to have grown up visiting the fine Dutch zoos, and despite my parents not being overly interested in animals we had one or a few zoo visits every year. I saw many species that could easily feature on these lists long before I was a fully-fledged zoo enthusiast, like darters, klipspringers, manatees, okapis, capuchinbirds, ringtails and walrus, to name but a few that I have fond memories of. Frustratingly, there are several species that I know were in zoos I visited at the time, but I have no memory of seeing - including Rotterdam's Sea Otters and a myriad of birds in Veldhoven.

amur leopard likes this.
  2. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

Columbus Zoo - Sloth Bear, Markhor, Colubus Monkey, African Leopard, Asian Small-Clawed Otter, Bonobo, Tasmanian Devil

Toledo Zoo - Rhinoceros Hornbill, Snow Leopard

Cincinnati Zoo - Sumatran Rhinoceros I don't know if this counts, but when I was about a year my parents and I took a trip here. So I don't remember seeing this animal unfortunately:(

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Bisonblake. I remember seeing a white rhinoceros at London Zoo when I was young and thought nothing of it at the time. It was only later that I realised it was a northern white rhinoceros.

Bisonblake and Mo Hassan like this.
  4. Nicky

Nicky Active Member

Aye ayes for me too, finally got to see some in Tokyo at the start of the year. As impressive and creepy as I expected them to be. Of all things I still want to meet a warthog, I've been to multiple zoos that had them but could never find them

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

In terms of seeing wild species it would have to be the black lion tamarin. I had been familiar with this species conservation status for many years and had seen them in captivity once or twice before (Sao Paulo zoo and a faint memory of seeing one in Bristol zoo many years ago) but in January of this year I got to see them in the wild a number of times while working on a conservation project.

It really was a special moment / a privilege to see the tamarin in what remains of its natural habitat. Feeling wise it is very hard to put into words and I'm so glad I got to do this. If it had been planned for a few months forward the fieldwork would have been cancelled due to the pandemic.

In terms of seeing a species in captivity a highlight would have to be seeing the pottos at ZSL last Autumn. I had previously only seen pictures of them in natural history books and online but had never actually seen one in the flesh so it was a real treat to see the pair in the nocturnal house in London. I'm still fascinated by these creature and have read up more about them and their ecology since.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2020
    Nod and Mo Hassan like this.
  6. The Cassowary

The Cassowary New Member

I saw Palawan peacock-pheasants for the first time at the St. Louis Zoo a couple of years ago. I had always wanted to see this species ever since I saw photos of them online, and I actually hadn’t realized that the St. Louis Zoo had them, so it was a really nice surprise. They were actually a bit smaller than I had expected; I thought they’d be about the size of your average chicken. They were pretty active, so I watched them for quite a while, though unfortunately the male didn’t display while I was there, though he was still very beautiful.

Ironically, the animal I had most wanted to see for the first time while I was there, the tuatara, was off display.

7. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

California Condors, Bontebok, Gerenuks, Laysan Teals, and Tasmanian Devils are a few species that I've always wanted to see and saw in California back in July.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

What a shame , I can understand your frustration , the tuatara is a species I have always wanted to see too but still haven't got round to yet and perhaps never will.

The Cassowary likes this.
  9. Nod

Nod Member

Travelled from the UK to Germany to see Zoo Leipzig's Pangolins!
    I have adored pangolins for years (and I have to be honest, another pull factor were their sloth bears as I'm also a bear nerd) so a trip to Zoo Leipzig was in order.
    I had heard from a keeper that they are quite often missed as their enclosure is based in the underground Elephant viewing area. So, I made extra care to keep that in mind.
    When I arrived at the elephants, they took a backseat as I was so excited to see Pangolins in flesh (in scales?) for the first time!
    They did not disappoint, I sat and observed them for a period of time, not sure how long. My camera had unfortunately run out of battery already by the point I got to them (too many bear pictures), but I doubt it would have changed anything, as my camera is unable to deal with dimly lit scenarios.
    Bad phone photographs are the only thing I have to look back on after seeing Pangolins. But 100% worth it.

10. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member

In zoos; shoebill, platypus, bilby, pangolin, tarsier, proboscis monkey. All very exciting animals that I wanted to see for a long time. I've seen the shoebill many times now (in 6 different zoos), most of the others just once.

In the wild: 2008: Humpback whales (Australia, also Costa Rica in 2017).
    2016: Manta Rays (Indonesia).
    2019: Whale Sharks (Mexico).
    Even got to swim with the last two. Amazing experiences!

Nod and ZooBinh like this.