Join our zoo community

Finding Clinton Keeling books?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by stubeanz, 22 Jun 2015.

1. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I have been looking for the books of Clinton Keeling online tonight after reading about all of unusual collections he wrote about.

The problem is that I can't seem to find copies anywhere!

Is there a reason for this? Obviously they would be second hand copies but I thought there would likely be at least some available in all the usual places.

Does anyone know of a good place to find his books?

Thanks
    Stuart

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

Clin’s books about “extinct” zoos were privately published and produced in relatively small numbers so secondhand copies are scarce; I think that they would be very hard to find either on-line or in secondhand bookshops.

However, there are plans for the Bartlett Society to reissue some of them in due course although I don’t know the timescales for this.

(There are copies of these books available in the ZSL Library.)

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

I'd love this to happen - it would certainly be more cost-effective than going all the way to London!

4. stubeanz

That is a shame but I look forward to the day that the Bartlett society reissue them.
    In the mean time i will have to keep an eye out!

5. stubeanz

So whilst working at the natural history museum today, I thought I would check in the giant library for C. Keeling books and thankfully I found about 10 of his books in the records!

I managed to scan a few select bits out of two or three but now I know they are there I will be back to read some more!

I can see why they are not available online as they really are a home made book, great photos in some of them and the maps are great also!

Very happy!

6. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member

Zoochatterers seem to hold the late Clinton Keeling with great reverence. He was clearly an interesting person but why the deep respect when there are so many others that did a lot more?

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

He published a lot of work, and was prominent in both the IZES and the Bartlett society. His profile was certainly high in his later years.

I still remember the somewhat random, rambling phone call I got when he noticed from of the membership lists I was in Chesterfield (his own homeland).