Join our zoo community

Karlsruhe Zoo Fire at Karlsruhe zoo - many animals dead

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Animal, 13 Nov 2010.

1. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tonight a fire broke out at the domestic animal house. All Animals in there (alpaca, donkeys, ponys, rare sheep) died in the flames. Later the fire sprung over to the elephanthouse.
    Elephants, Hippos and Flamingos could be rescued to the outdoorexhibits in the last second and still the house is burning.
    Many firefighters are at work and the zoo stays closed.

Most likely the elephants and hippos have to move to another zoo.

2. PeGe

PeGe Member

Incredible tragedy!
    Especially as the quite old female Elephants have been living together for a very long time, and now it seems to be an option to split the group,...
    What a traumatic event for them,...
    Maybe Nuremberg would be an option for at least two of them.

3. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

Yes, it is terrible.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  4. Animal

5. Animal

Ok, rough translation:

And ZD, Tasirus or whatever you like to call you here. I am very fed up with you! I don't know what your problem is, but you should really work on that!

6. Tarsius

Tahnk you for the information.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No rumour, here it is on the BBC

BBC News - German zoo fire kills 26 animals

8. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The fire is no rumour, and as far as i know the mentioned death of the animals also isn't a rumour?

The only thing they said is that they MIGHT have to split up the group of elephants in order to get them sheltered.

That's also not a rumour, they MIGHT have to to do that. They also MIGHT not...

So what's your problem?

terribly sad news though

9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

@Tarsius: You yourself know no more about zoos than most other people here on this forum, you simply claim to do so. You have spend the last couple of years spinning a web of lies and insults coated with a horrible spelling and terribly bad grammar. You have deliberately posted faulty information and then later denied it (such as in the Frankfurt-Fossa case). You have used three different usernames/accounts here on ZooChat and two of them simultaniously in order to "agree with yourself" in the debates on the forum. You constantly post sick jokes (which you refer to as "irony") simply to provoke and agitate the other members of this site, with the newest example being your comment requesting vidoes of dead animals.

If you have the balls to reply this time I am sure that you will act all innocent and dumbfounded at these accusations/facts. Why not do as all a favour and **** off. You are not welcome on ZooChat anymore.

I appologize to all other members on this site for my harsh language.

10. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

Horrible news, and so sad for the animals, the best we can hope is that it was an accident, if not there are some seriously sick people out there...

And Toddy, your language isn't harsh at all, just spot on.

11. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Toddy, I wish Zoochat had a "Like" button like Facebook does. :)

12. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

13. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Rumour? I beg your pardon?

Would it be more acceptable if Karlsruhe's animals would be housed under unacceptable circumstances after the fire, even if there are loads of zoos nearby with proper facilities to take them for a while?

Emergency circumstance require emergency response.

14. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A dreadful situation at Karlsruhe.

My sympathy goes out to all involved.

15. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself @Toddy, not Zoochat in general. And could all you hotheads forget their personal agenda and unnecessary animosities for a second (and not jump to conclusions)? For the zoo and all beings connected to it, this is a tragic occurence. I agree with Steve Robinson; my sympathy to the zoo, and all involved.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2010
  16. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can only imagine what a monumentous task it would be to relocate both elephants and hippoes on such a short notice if the houses are incapable of housing them (which it doesn't sound like they are, except maybe the hippoes).

My appologies:

@Tarsius: Nobodo wants you here on ZooChat except Sun Wukong.

17. Tarsius

@Toddy. I agree with you, I don't know very much about zoos, thats correct. But I know very much about poeople like you and I know, nowadays, there are too many stupid people which are not able read.

But I'm a nice guy and I let you, I've never written that the Fire at this zoo is a rumour, belive me, my beloved Toddy, I'm not that stupid as so many Zoo-Freaks. So try again, maybe I'm wrong and you are, and the other guys here in this thread, are smart enough to find out what I've meant with rumours. Good Luck, my Friend.

To answer you last question. Where did you know that ? Can you speak for hundreds of people here at zoochat ? I'm sure, you can't, honey.

Strange, 26 domestic animals has died, and so many zoofreaks are shocked, othersides, everyday, thousands of domestic animals die in europe, because all thiese zoofreaks wants to eat their meat....Bad Irony of life, isn't it ?

18. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Boy, you are one sick individual! "Beloved friend" and "honey"?

1. What does illiteracy have to do with this?

2. How can you say that you know people like me when you haven't even met me?

3. Yes, I believe that I can speak for the majority of the active forumsters here on ZooChat judging by your behaviour and the reactions you have recieved over the last months.

What a ridiculous comment... The difference is that these animals were burned alive (which is a horrible way to die) and their death served no purpose. The animals we eat are slaughtered humanly, at least in my country (yes, I am aware that not all farmers and slaughterhouses follow these rules but that doesn't make it okay).

So no, it is not "Bad Irony of Life" and this is not the place to have the vegetarian/meat eaters debate.

19. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

Tarsius is a keen zoo enthusiast, as far as I know he is an excellent keeper at the (good) zoo in which he works, and, when I have met him, I have thought him a decent bloke. Many of his contributions here are first class - particularly some of his outstanding photos.

I am not sure why, sometimes, he apparently goes out of his way to offend people, or to say controversial things. He has a point, of course, about the hypocrisy involved in mourning the deaths of a handful of domestic animals when, every day, millions of animals die across Germany in order to feed the needs of the meat-eating public. That said, it's not a point with which I would agree: not all animals are created equal (just as not all humans are), and so the death of these animals at Karlsruhe is different to that of those within the farming industry. And besides, he is saying rather more than just this. I think we should be charitable to him. He is not operating with his first language, and the irony which he has mentioned elsewhere is a very difficult thing to pull off if you are not wholly confident of the language you are using. He's certainly not doing himself many favours here (and elsewhere), but he is not a bad fellow at all.

20. PeGe

PeGe Member

As nobody knows up to now, what will actually happen to the Flamingos (....;-)),
    it's definitely obvious that neither Animal nor I told about definite plans or actions.
    Enthusiasm or at least interest (I don't consider myself an enthusiast) and a discussion board,
    are honestly the right places for people sharing a hobby to discuss situations which MIGHT occur,....
    At least if they're not labeled as the "TRUTH".
    On the other hand, a bulletin board like this shouldn't be a purpose in live or whatever,....
    And i don't get the coactive connection between eating meat and burned-to-death domestic animals,...
    The more tragic fact is having very big mammals running the risk of wintering without a roof above them,....And not barbecuing pigmy goats.