Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Fire in the Chester Zoo Monsoon Forest habitat

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ian999, 15 Dec 2018.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Question, @Zooreviewsuk - if Chester closed the Just Giving page, do you think that money would still be donated to animal conservation or welfare charities?

And do you think it's realistic to expect any charity, from a local hospice to Oxfam, to turn down people wanting to donate to their cause, or to redirect them to somewhere else where they have no control how it's spent?

Jambo, BeakerUK, taun and 10 others like this.
  2. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Life is rarely "fair" - and there are many ways of defining "fair". But if people chose to give money to A rather than B then that's their choice.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  3. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Probably not adding anything valuable here, but I would love to win an old teddy, especially if it's to support this sanctuary.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Zooreviewsuk The zoo is not making people donate to them, people want to donate to them. After the fire the community wanted to support the zoo so the zoo gave them an easily accessible page to do with what they wanted, and they chose to donate way over the asked for amount. If this page wasn't there, many of those people would still be donating to the zoo on other platforms and many more would be asking for the zoo to set up a page like this so they could donate to it. It's a voluntary donation, if the people wanted to donate to other charities they could and it's not the zoo's fault they didn't.

~Thylo

ShonenJake13, Jambo, Maisie and 5 others like this.
  5. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why were their no sprinklers in a public area?
    If there were some in there why didn't they work?

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

I doubt anyone on here knows. (Or, if they do, would probably feel it inappropriate to announce it on here prior to any formal inquiry.)

So not sure what purpose is served by raising the issue.

Mr Wrinkly, BeakerUK and jde7582 like this.
  7. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

Would water sprinklers not be a bad idea with electrical fires?

Devi and Brum like this.
  8. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Water is a dreadful idea on electrical fires and we’d be seeing many more deaths in that situation

9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Well any reason to bash the zoo...

**** happens but some still think everything can be prevented or be perfect.

11. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wasn't bashing the zoo it's was just a thought that was raised on another forum and I thought I'd ask.
    As for water on an electrical fire I would love to know how sprinklers are suppose to know if it's an electric fire as I think the person who as invented them would be a billionaire by know.

12. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have mixed feelings about it as well... whilst I agree with what others have said, that the money raised wouldn't have gone to animal conservation without this appeal from Chester, I fear the zoo is risking some potential backlash as a lot of people seem to think that their donations will be helping the animals affected by the fire. I'm sure there was never any risk of any of them not having a good Christmas or being 'homeless', and obviously the building is insured as well, but a lot of people don't read enough to realise this.

It highlights the lazy attitude to charity that many people have - if something is dangled in front of them, they'll donate money - otherwise, forget it. I just wish more people would think about helping the little guys. I don't blame Chester Zoo for taking this money but I do feel a bit uncomfortable about it and certainly wouldn't donate myself.

13. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

You've summed up what I was trying to say. Last week when I went to the Welsh Ape centre, it was because I saw signs off the motorway, having been at Manor Wildlife park and wanted to go to Folly Farm but it was closed. I went to this sanctuary and was close to tears reading all the signs there. I was watching the apes and primates in the pouring rain for an hour, and felt what seriously lovely people run that place. I only had around £20 on me, so I spent all the change I had on the Tombola, and despite winning 4 prizes I only kept one for my dog, and said put the others back in the draw and make some more money.

I wish there was an opportunity to promote these places so they get the support they so invaluably need.

I feel calling Chester's fundraising page, the Monsoon Forest Fundraising Page, implied the money was needed because of what happened, when this wasn't the case. I read 2/3 of the people who had run fundraisers and read the comments. One fundraiser who raised a few hundred pounds, wrote on their bio, these animals have lost their homes and the zoo needs to raise 50K to get them suitable homes or they may not survive. This was of course not the case, but it's the impression a lot of those who have donated got, by the page and the 50K appeal and it's this which doesn't sit quite so easy with me. People have donated thinking it helps the animals from the fire and the appeal was to help in that regard when it wasn't.

I agree I wish people would have the smaller guys, but in my opinion it's so much harder for the smaller guys to be seen or heard so people could donate. Chester has it's own TV show, 2 million visitors a year, and was headline news when this happened.

14. Sand Cat

Again, all true. I find it quite shocking that people might think that any of the animals at such a brilliant, well-run zoo might not have survived but there we go - a lot of people clearly don't have much understanding of how these things work.

I'd like to add that Channel 5 have been running a charity telethon tonight helping animal charities, including the notoriously wealthy RSPCA... again, it makes me quite sad thinking of other good causes that struggle just to keep going when they have huge amounts of money held in reserve.

15. SHAVINGTONZOO

Well I've read ithe accounts of the first five fundraisers listed on the justgiving page and none of them use the sort of terms you outline above. And even though the insurance policy may cover the rebuilding costs I'm pretty sure it won't cover some of the consequential losses and other costs.

People wanted to donate. In response to the fire in Monsoon Forest. Calling the justgiving page "Monsoon Forest" hardly seems unreasonable under those circumstances.

And even if they had chosen a different name it would hardly have led to a flood of donations to the Welsh Ape Centre.

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

People want to donate money, would you turn it down if you ran a charity?

Look at monkey world and asking for donations including food donations, as if they are not going to feed or provide enrichment for their charges. People have been and will always be driven by emotion.

If you don't think it's fair don't donate and donate to those you feel more deserving and spread the word of their work.

17. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Taun, I have my own views on Monkey World, and would probably best not be put in public.

Devi likes this.
  18. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with any establishment asking for or accepting donations. When people see a 'bad' thing happening they want to contribute something to make it 'better'. Chester are giving an easy option for ppl to do that - and calling it 'Monsoon Forest' seems pretty logical to me.

The zoo have been quite clear on how the money will be spent - they are not trying to dupe anyone. It is also not their issue that other collections may be struggling for donations. All you can do is follow your own heart in terms of who you wish to support - and how you want to do that. I've not donated to this myself as I'm aware insurance will cover it - but I did make a donation to the EEHV 'Never Forget' page when Nandita and Aayu passed away as it is really the only way I can help look for a cure.

I also think the Amazon lists (or just donation suggestion lists) that lots of establishments have now are a great idea. I have no problem with it at all. We donated an item to Cedars Nature centre after we had been - it was nice to pick a 'thing' rather than just give cash. It also gives you full control of how the money you are spending is used.

19. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

There is - and it doesn't require criticising other establishments (not sure what your issue with Monkey World is?).

Visit them when you can, tell everyone you know about the place, promote them on Twitter and Facebook, leave them good reviews, add to their fundraisers, adopt an animal, donate items they need, do a keeper experience, buy something from the shop etc etc.

The Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary have loads of options for how you can support them here if you want to:

Support Us

20. Sand Cat

I too like the idea of knowing exactly where your money is going. I think part of the 'problem' with Chester, is that a lot of people have emotional attachment to the animals through visiting and/or seeing them on TV, so they want to help them in their hour of need. I agree that the zoo is trying to be honest and open about how the donations will be used, but it strikes me that the message still isn't getting through to some people - yesterday I saw a comment from a member of the public on the Chester Zoo Facebook page asking the zoo to comment on a rumour they'd heard that the donations would be spent on conservation! I've also seen a few people saying they want some of the money raised to be given to the staff who helped rescue the animals in the building to reward them for their acts of bravery and kindness. I'm sure the zoo is perfectly capable of buying treats for its animals and rewarding its staff, but I think people like the idea of making a gesture themselves.

The sad truth is, I don't think its possible to overestimate the stupidity of many people out there!