Join our zoo community

Firearms Training

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by andrewvenables, 27 Jun 2011.

1. andrewvenables

andrewvenables Member

Hi,
    I was drawn to the site by the link to Richard Bransons Lemur project. Then thought to post this thread after noting John Dineley's comment on a firearms related thread.
    The zoo and Wildlife Park industry faces an interesting situation:
    You need training before you are permitted to use a tractor, a chainsaw, a sprayer and chemicals, but apparently, all you need is no criminal record to take a firearm into a public place and discharge it at an escaped dangerous animal?
    We have worked for clients in the zoo industry for 25 years on enclosure design, electric fencing and over the last 15 years on firearms training. Anyone wanting help, advice, training or consultancy is welcome to contact us. As time served professionals with all the right contacts we have the answers.
    Andrew Venables
    WMS Firearms Training. Google either for more details.

2. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You appear to just be here to advertise your services rather than to join in any discussion!

3. andrewvenables

andrewvenables Member

Hi Orangeperson,
    I started this post because of the other thread which, apart from John Dineleys kind link to our site, did not really answer the originators questions.
    We do provide an excellent service and have first class references. I know this to be of interest to the zoo community at a time when fulfilling duty of care towards employees, visitors and having legally supportable, insurable policies is vital to the future of the business.
    So, I hope this information will be discussed by the forum and help the zoo world as well as us as service providers.
    You sound anti commercial? Does that have a future in the zoo world?
    Best regards
    Andrew

4. andrewvenables

andrewvenables Member

PS, thanks for starting the discussion!

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know that Australian zoos have trained sharpshooters. It is generally a selection criteria for zookeepers to have or be ableto obtain a gun license which now involves a short training course. The public is always removed from the area before sharpshooters take action. They areeven removed if an animal needs to be darted.

6. andrewvenables

andrewvenables Member

Australia, firearms training

The answer is in appropriate preparation and training followed by practice, fumble sessions and more practice. In a crisis no one rises to the highest peak of learning, everyone falls back on their most basic muscle memory.
    In your first driving lesson you wondered how you would ever put it all together, training and practice provided the answers!
    All our feedback forms say the same thing "Really glad to have had the training, now we need our employers to provide more opportunities for practice............"

7. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are very good comments about practice. Training is not much of a help if you are not familiar with the rifle and do not regularly shoot for practice. I would be concerned about the abilities of someone who does the training so they can get the job, but then rarely shoots.

Here are some Australian training programs.

http://www.firearmtraining.com.au

8. andrewvenables

andrewvenables Member

National standards?

As often the case, Australia with its practicality and pragmatism has an excellent programme for training. Checked out the link and it does with formal national agreement what we have been trying to get the UK zoo "leaders" to do for years. Unfortunately egos, politics and media interference ensure there is no concensus. Call us if you want to push for change?