Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo First Succesful Rearing of Archey's Frog

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 26 Feb 2013.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Seven Archey's Frogs hatched in December at Auckland Zoo, and are continuing to thrive. Auckland Zoo holds the only captive population of this critically endangered species, and its breeding is a significant achievement.

Story here: Archey's Frogs Breed At Auckland Zoo - science | Stuff.co.nz

The last bit is quite exciting too, this will be the first time the species has been displayed (properly) at the zoo, and may be the first time any of the four endemic frog species have been displayed in a manner that may actually allow visitors to see them (i.e. in a reverse-lit exhibit, as they are a nocturnal species).

2. zooboy28

Longer article, and photos of the hatchlings, on Auckland Zoo's website: Auckland Zoo - Big leap forward in breeding of rare frog There is also a link on that page to a Radio NZ interview with NZ Fauna Curator Richard Gibson.

3. zooboy28

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great ! Let´s hope this is the beginning of even more young froglets !

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I saw this on the news this morning but didn't have time to post anything. Very good news, both in terms of the breeding and the upcoming display.

I think at least one of those breedings might be from frogs I collected on the Coromandel back in 1995, but I can't really remember if it was that lot that bred or another group.

6. zooboy28

Thats pretty cool. Were they very difficult to find? Were the frogs collected for DOC? Where were they kept after capture?

7. zooboy28

It looks like Auckland Zoo has also acquired some wild frogs in the last year. Last year's census shows the zoo holding 3.4.15 (22), while they currently hold 6.17.10 (33), which suggests they got at least 4 wild frogs (plus the 7 hatchlings).

8. Chlidonias

it was for the university. I actually can't remember if they were bred there after all, or if my memory is faulty. Anyway, we were collecting both Archey's and Hochstetter's to set up some colonies. Pretty easy to find (but probably not nowadays).

9. zooboy28

Probably not, no :(

Still very cool, I've never seen a native frog, and I probably won't anytime soon either.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I take it these frogs don't produce eggs in the thousands then?

:p

Hix

11. Chlidonias

no, just a few. They lay the eggs on land and the male guards them, and then carries the froglets around on his back (the entire tadpole stage takes place within the egg, so they hatch out as miniature frogs).

Hochstetter's frog lays its eggs in burrows, and they hatch out as non-feeding tadpoles which metamorphose shortly afterwards (I can't remember the details off the top of my head though).

12. zooboy28

13. zooboy28

Forest & Bird Blog about the breeding of Archey's Frogs: Forest & Bird Blog Archive Breeding breakthrough for critically endangered frog

Just as a slightly amusing and totally unnecessary aside, Richard Gibson is also the name of the actor who played the original Herr Otto Flick of the Gestapo in the classic BBC comedy 'Allo 'Allo. The only connection between Herr Flick and frogs is that he made a truth serum from the Self-inflating Peruvian Marsh Frog in one memorable episode, which had the unfortunate side-effect of causing inflation of certain body parts of those who took the serum.

14. Chlidonias

Zoo celebrates big leap forward for frogs
    There's a video on that link as well.

15. zooboy28

That is fantastic news, great that they are breeding, and getting a further 20 individuals. Hopefully the population to be introduced to Pureora establishes.

They are on display in The Night exhibit at Te Wao Nui (or at least there is an enclosure for them), but it is so dark that they are more or less impossible to see.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great hear breeding success has continued.

Exciting news on reintroduction project and additional frogs for the captive-breeding and rearing program!