Join our zoo community

Bird Kingdom Bird Kingdom, Niagara

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Meaghan Edwards, 9 Aug 2017.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I've been a member of Bird Kingdom for a number of years ago and think it is a delightful jewel amongst the more ah, tacky attractions that Niagara Falls has to offer. With three levels, it is regarded as the largest indoor aviary in the world/North America and has a wonderful collections of birds from familiar Macaws to more rare such as the Silver Cheeked Hornbill (didn't see him on my last visit; this is quite an old bird as I understand), along with Egyptian Fruit Bats, skunks and various reptiles and amphibians. It's a wonderful place to hang out in and photograph or just sit on a park bench in the Small Bird Aviary and watch the little birds build nests and sing. A bit passe, with so many zoos offering the same thing, but still delightful if you aren't overly protective of your jewlery and whatnot, there is a lorikeet feeding area where you can pay a toonie to feed them little cups of sugared water. It's a great place for all ages!

With all that praise out of the way though, critique time :p

The section with random artifacts? Out of place. I feel this space should be done away with and replaced with a new bird exhibit (perhaps centered around native bird species) OR a more professional presentation of old artifacts from the old Niagara Falls Museum which was converted into Bird Kingdom in May 2003. Many of the images they use in this exhibit are grainy and not in the way old photos look, but what images look like if you zoom in too much, very pixel-y.

The Java House should reopen as a tea house; I remember sipping on tea, watching the birds do their thing, and miss it. Not sure why it was closed in the first place; it's now displays random bird information.

Birdsage likes this.
  2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've also been a long-time member here. Posted more recent photos from my visit on August 20, 2019 in the gallery.

Bird Kingdom - ZooChat

3. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Bird Kingdom is a 45,000-square-foot facility in Niagra Falls, Ontario. Species at the facility include Egyptian fruit bat, sugar glider, Alexandrine parakeet, hyacinth macaw, eastern rosella, red-billed quelea, African pied crow, cattle egret, society finch, Javan sparrow, green iguana, African-spurred tortoise, and fire-bellied toad, among other animals.

On January 27th, the aviary announced it will reopen to the public on January 31st.

登录 Facebook

On February 4th, the aviary announced they acquired a (0.0.1+?) blue-faced parrotfinch which is now on exhibit in the Small Bird Aviary.

登录 Facebook

On February 7th, the aviary announced they acquired a (0.0.1+?) red-factor canary which is now in the Small Bird Aviary.

登录 Facebook

On February 9th, the aviary announced they acquired a (0.1) great-tailed grackle which is now on exhibit in the Main Aviary.

New to the Main Aviary - the Great-tailed Grackle! She seems to always be on the move, a very active bird. Great-tailed Grackles are related to New... | By Bird Kingdom | Facebook

On February 11th, the aviary announced they acquired (0.0.2+?) star finches which are now on exhibit in the Small Bird Aviary.

登录 Facebook

On February 13th, the aviary announced they acquired a (0.0.1+?) Gloster canary which is now on exhibit in the Small Bird Aviary.

登录 Facebook

On July 27th, the aviary announced they acquired (0.0.2+?) Pacific parrotlets which are now on exhibit in the Small Bird Aviary.

登录 Facebook

On August 14th, the aviary announced they acquired a (0.0.1) house sparrow from a wildlife rescue center which is now on exhibit.

登录 Facebook

On August 29th, the aviary announced that they moved their (1.0) Chaco chachalaca named Charlie from the Main Aviary to the Small Bird Aviary/Retirement Resort area.

登录 Facebook

On September 23rd, the aviary announced that a (0.0.1) scarlet ibis hatched.

A baby Scarlet Ibis watching its parent build a nest! Baby Scarlet Ibis are hatched with brown or black feathers, and gradually change to the adult red... | By Bird Kingdom | Facebook

On September 26th, the aviary announced that a (0.0.1) Pacific parrotlet hatched.

登录 Facebook

iluvwhales likes this.
  4. antilio capra

antilio capra Well-Known Member

Any news or updates on these species? I want to know if they are still around. Red-billed quelea, blue breasted kngfisher and boobook owl.

5. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member