Join our zoo community

Fish diareaha

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Lizard_boy, 4 Dec 2014.

1. Lizard_boy

Lizard_boy Well-Known Member

For starters I hope I spelt diareaha right any way my female bristle nose catfish is doing really long poos and when I say long one or two of them have made it 20cm no joke and they are mixed colors there will be brown for like a cm and then cloudy white for another cm she has never done it before and has been doing it for about a week I am very worried and I have had her for 4 years

2. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

It's spelt Diarrhoea lol

Bristle nose catfish do have long poos anyway but it could probably be the opposite to diarrhoea and so constipation, if you sink a few peas or a slice of cucumber then she will eat that and it may help. :)

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree that plenty of veg in the diet is a good idea. I'm sure you know that parboiling vegetables is important so that they sink and are easier to digest. I often gave slices of broccoli stem and broad beans (skinned and broken into halves) to Ancistrus bristlenoses.

Alan

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That he makes long poos is not something I would worry about, however the color differences are interesting...

5. Lizard_boy

Vegetables are not really an option the other fish would scoff them before the hit the bottom plus she's developed a weird habit of resting on the bottom upside down

Last edited: 14 Dec 2014
  6. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

How big is the specimen? If you've had it for over four years then it should be fairly large and the length of the faeces not as much of a concern as it resting upside down.

Alan is - of course - correct about diet. You can try some par-boiled cucumber with a loop of led through it (the type you get wrapped around un-rooted live plant bundles) to keep it on the bottom. Depending on what else you've got in there that should give the bristlenose at least a fighting chance.

7. Lizard_boy

I will try to take a photo of her pooing but how do I post it?

8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

We don't need that, the description was fine.

9. Lizard_boy

Ok I will put it in her log and which veggies are best out of the ones you have told me

Last edited: 15 Dec 2014
  10. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I honestly doubt your other fish will eat the veg before hand unless you have lots of catfish etc and especially if it is a large piece.

11. Lizard_boy

Well if there was something wrong with her she would be dead and thanks for all your help