Join our zoo community

Five Sisters Zoo Park Five Sisters news 2012-2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TeaLovingDave, 27 Jun 2012.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What a dramatic event ! Wish the owners and keepers all the stength they need in those days !

2. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

awful news :( as said already, I hope the springhaas wasn't affected by the blaze

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I hope so too - quite a lot of rarities were in that building, including the above mentioned springhare, ornate monitors and Northern sugar glider. :(

Not terribly hopeful though.

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very upsetting news. On a personal level, because I'm visiting in a few weeks and was looking forward to seeing the new developments, and on a general level, because I've seen that Five Sisters has grafted so hard over the last ten or so years to continually develop, improve and establish themselves on limited resources/cash/visitors whilst in the shadow of far more showy collections (and done a good job of it).

Here's hoping they can use their obvious skills and enthusiasm to bounce back from this disaster in due course.

5. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

6. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

I'm so gutted by this news, they've worked so hard.

Each time they post on their facebook page it is just getting sadder and sadder.

As well as the occupants in the reptile house they have lost their male otter and all, but two of their meerkats. Devastating.

*** Their last two postings

Fire at Five Sisters Zoo
    The tragic fire which broke out in the early hours of Sunday 14th April has devastated us all at the zoo. We have lost so many of our beautiful and precious animals, reptiles and fish, and the pain and hurt we all feel is too bad to put into words. We are however extremely touched and humbled by the many donations and kind offers of help that we are receiving. At the moment we cannot reply to everyone but we want you all to know what this means to us that so many people, both friends and strangers have taken the time to be so kind and for sending their support.
    Brian & Shirley Curran

A huge thank you to everyone for your kind words today, especially for the loss of our beloved male otter and all but two of our meerkats.

7. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

*Edit. Apologies for duplicating info from previous posts, my internet froze while I was trying to post at the same time as the previous. ;)

Indeed any collections worst nightmare :(

From what I am told at present the entirety of the reptile house collection perished; snakes, monitors, spiders, sugar gliders, fruit bats etc. I know the Spring Hare was in there last year but don't know if it still was before the fire. Also a male otter and most of the meerkats, being in the path of the smoke, perished from smoke inhalation. The female otter is being cared for by vets and keepers, as are two meerkats. Conflicting stories say some of the meerkats are missing, possibly out through a tunnel, but people close to the zoo said tonight that all but two died. Miraculously two dwarf crocodiles were saved as they were deep in their pool.

As our nearest 'neighbour' collection we offered our sympathies and available space as temporary accommodation should it be needed.

If anyone wishes to help, a fundraising facility has been set up for donations;

Five Sisters Zoo Fire Fund | Five Sisters Zoo | Get up close and personal at West Calder's premier wildlife attraction | A Gallery of Some of Our Animals

8. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Davef68

Possibly but I know isurance can take a while to pay out. Also, people were asking for some way they could help the zoo.

10. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

There is talk on the facebook page that a snake or snakes were not in the reptile house at the time because of the work so have survived.

I think at the moment no-one is 100% sure of anything really though.

I think part of the fundraising is because people are thinking about it being the last day of the school holidays up here so it would probably have been busy. Insurance won't cover loss of takings I wouldn't have thought? That could be problematic depending on how long they are closed for. Raised funds could also help with immediate costs of anything that needs to be done quickly to secure exhibits/rehome animals whilst needed etc.

11. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

This is truly tragic and my sympathies go out to the keepers and owners, must be heartbreaking and I hope all animals that are saved go on to survive despite their injuries.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Davef68

14. epickoala123

It does look like ornate monitor and springhaas are some of the animals that died :(
    R.I.P to all the animals that have died

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amen.

I wonder what the zoo will do now to move on from this tragedy...

~Thylo:cool:

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

17. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

It is certainly going to be very hard for them obviously, a fire in a zoo is one of the worst things that can happen in any zoo, but I think it is much harder for a small collection like this to pick up the pieces.

The last UK zoo fire I can remember was the tragic Giraffe House fire where I think two or three Giraffes died. But any loss of animal-life in a fire is truly awful, whether that is a giraffe or an Iguana.

18. Davef68

Five Sister are opening over the weekend, entry will be free but with the chance to donate to the fire fund:

Open weekend -

19. mattmcg83

mattmcg83 Member 10+ year member

Visited Five Sisters on Saturday. Will upload photos soon.

20. epickoala123

2 albino skunks born