Join our zoo community

Five Sisters Zoo Park Five Sisters News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Quincey, 9 Apr 2018.

1. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

What was the bird, and in what way does it connect to Five Sisters? The link doesn't open for me.

Making posts which contain nothing but a link isn't very useful, especially when it is a thread-opener.

3. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The bird was an escaped zo bird, an African Sacred Ivis, and I agree about the post link and thread opener thing.

4. Quincey

Full article:

An African sacred ibis has been caught after being seen wandering around a West Lothian car park following its escape from a zoo.

The bird, which got out of its cage at the Five Sisters Zoo in West Calder, was caught six miles away in Whitehill Industrial Estate in Bathgate.

The zoo confirmed the black and white bird escaped on Friday morning.

A zoo keeper managed to catch the bird, which was hiding in a bush, after workers told them where it was.

David Wood, 60, who works at microchip company Innovative Ion Plant at the industrial estate, told the BBC Scotland news website how he had a "double-take" when he saw the bird walking past his window on Monday.

He said: "At first I thought maybe it had been blown off course, but then I realised it must have come from the zoo.

"I don't want to attempt to catch it because it has a very pointy beak.

"Seagulls were swooping at it this morning to protect their patch but luckily it's still ok."

Rebecca Rodgers, of Five Sisters Zoo, said: "We have now named him Pat because we found him at the Royal Mail sorting office at Whitehill Industrial Estate.

"We are very pleased he is back at the zoo safely."

The three-year-old bird has been at the zoo for a couple of years and was bred in captivity.

Ibis eat various fish, frogs, small mammals, reptiles and smaller birds as well as insects and other invertebrates, and carrion.

It may also probe into the soil with its long beak for invertebrates such as earthworms.

5. Quincey

The 2 new young Brown Bears will be arriving this weekend:

Five Sisters Zoo

Dylan likes this.
  6. Quincey

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.2 Snow Leopards will be arriving in the next few months. The pair are sisters, bred in 2013 at Magderberg and housed at a rescue centre in Belgium in more recent times

Scottish Wildcat likes this.
  8. Quincey

Kifaru Bwana likes this.