Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Flamingo Land 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Parrotsandrew, 5 Aug 2014.

1. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Thought it was time to start a new thread for Flamingo Land news. I visited yesterday and the following may be of interest:-

1. There are two well-grown Sacred Ibis chicks in a nest in the Lost Kingdom aviary. Apparently their growth rate has been phenomenal - it must have been as I did not see them four weeks ago.

2. The first flamingo chick of the year has hatched - a Chilean. I caught a glimpse of it. Several more chicks are due to hatch: Chileans, Caribbeans and some hybrids.

3. The Mongoose Lemurs have produced a baby. They came from Edinburgh "on retirement", in fact the female last bred in 2005.

4. Hammerkop chicks are due to hatch soon.

5. More Scarlet Ibises are due to arrive.

6. This may be exciting only to me! I attended all three Bird Shows and Chico the Lesser Sulphur-crested Cockatoo did a turn in the second one. This is the first time I have seen him perform since 2004 at Paignton.

7. Also possibly only of interest to me, I found out that the new hybrid macaw, Jacky, at the Bird Show has the same parents as Reuben and Julian and is a Green-winged x Harlequin i.e. a Jubilee. I thought it looked like a Jubilee, but Reuben and Julian look like Harlequins and I have descibed Reuben as such on this site :eek:.

8. Mordred the Raven featured in the third Bird Show - the first time I have seen this bird perform.

9. The Sumatran Tiger cubs were outside all afternoon, and visitors could have badges and fridge magnets made featuring them and one or two other animals - I invested in several!

2. Hyak2

Hyak2 Active Member

Hi Andrew, for your interest Jacky was hatched here with me last September in Lowestoft so he is not even a year old yet. By coincidence another chick has hatched yesterday from the same parents!

Dean

3. Parrotsandrew

Thank-you Dean - congratulations on the new chick! I really was amazed to find out that Jacky had the same parents as Reuben and Julian as he looks so much like a Green-wing whereas they look like Harlequins, although I suppose there is quite a bit of variation in the coloration of Harlequins (I think you said you had bred some the other year that looked nearly 100% Blue and Yellow/Gold [always "Yellow" to me!]).

027.JPG 036.JPG
    Julian left, Jacky right

Peter told me once that he had obtained a number of hybrids (Harlequins I think) over the years that had been bred at Rode - does the company still have them? Maybe one of your breeding pair?

Andrew

4. Animal Friendly

Animal Friendly Well-Known Member

Scarborough Council has announced that the proposed bidder for the redevelopment of the Futuristic Theatre is Flamingo Land North Yorkshire, given the working title Flamingoland Coast. There will be three distinctive enviroments.Subterranean on the Coastline and Sky, key elements an iconic glass roofed botanical garden, a high octane adrenaline fuelled roller coaster, a 55 metre iconic lighthouse structure and a space shot tower which propels customers 55 metres into the sky,an elevated sea view bar, restaurant and function space, a walk through aviary and a new town square for Scarborough.

5. Parrotsandrew

A few notes from my last three visits:-

1) Probably of interest only to me! The Military Macaws that had been in the Keepers' Yard had been returned to the Parrotsphere by the time of my visit on 30th September. I saw three specimens in there that day (one had been in there all season).

2) Last week the Sumatran Tigers had been swapped around, with the male now in the left-hand exhibit as you approach from the top of the zoo and not suprisingly, the female and cubs were on the right. The male was standing by the connecting door vocalising.

3) I did not see any birds in the Lost Kingdom aviary. Of course they could have been in the shelter (I think the Demoiselle Cranes normally stay in the aviary all winter), but I did spot a Sacred Ibis in one of the aviaries in the Keeper's Yard.

The winter opening season begins on Saturday 29th November and adult admission is £10, the same as last winter.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any progress on the Indian rhino area?

7. Parrotsandrew

There was a small van parked next to the building last week (I have been told one has been seen there before), but no sign of any action.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2014
  8. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's no I in told. hope the move for the Indian Rhino to Flamingo Land go smoothly

Last edited: 6 Nov 2014
  9. Parrotsandrew

There is when one has few typing skills and the keys are next to each other, plus for some reason the typist fails to spot the error. I presume your apparent mistakes were a test.

10. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

yeah you could say that but No Harm Done I would presume