Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Flamingo Land 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Parrotsandrew, 20 Feb 2016.

1. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

The theatre at the bottom of the zoo area used by the African acrobats is to be replaced by a Lorikeet walk-through and a second feeding platform for the Rothschild's Giraffes.

I visited on both Tuesday and Thursday this half-term week, and the place was absolutely heaving. Having heard the Red Pandas identified (by an adult) as "little squirrel things" in January, it was the turn of the Capybaras to be "squirrels" on Tuesday. I suppose at least they were identified as a rodent. On the other hand, a few weeks ago a little girl of no more than about five correctly identified a Scarlet Macaw - "you're talking my language Reggie."

2. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Recent visit I learned Professor Bubbles had died would I be rite in thinking he was the animal who'd been there the longest? Or maybe a camel. Male tiger cub due to go to France very soon may have already gone. Got told when they designed the new rhino house they measured up their existing rhinos for the width between the bars. On the 2nd day they discovered black rhino are smaller and had to help it as it got its head stuck between bars. They are now open for the 2016 season and still show pics of indian rhinos on website adverts.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Who or what was Professor Bubbles? :confused:

Kuasa (Tiger) left for La Boissiere on 7th March

4. woody505

Professor Bubbles was an old baboon he was the one going bold on top

5. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Last Saturday the Lorikeet aviary and adjacent Giraffe feeding platform were almost ready for action. There are 50 Green-naped and Swainson's Lorikeets currently in the Keepers' Yard waiting to move into the aviary. 2016 has been a record year for breeding Humboldt's Penguins.

6. woody505

New arrival posted on their fb wall while there closed till winter opening chanua the black rhino from chester