Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Flamingo Land visit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bubbles, 12 Mar 2012.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

We decided to visit Flamingo Land on Sunday, being that it was £5 per person. However, I also had a 'buy 2 get 3rd free' coupon so it only cost us £10 in total for the three of us. The rides were not operating, but we never go on them anyway. It also happened to be the warmest day we've had this year and with blue sky and warm sunshine beckoning us out of the house we set off early to get there just after opening time.

We had to pay at the ticket booth as the main entrance, at the bottom of the car-park, was closed. While we were waiting in-line I noticed two 'structures' either side of the entrance, We didn't quite know what they were supposed to be, or for what purpose. The ticket booth I have to say was also very strange in design. I don't know, but it did cross my mind to think they could have done something a bit more appealing for a main entrance. We had to park and then walk back up the car-park and follow a path that ran along the back of the Children's planet which came out near the Coach house.

We walked towards the Otters but couldn't see them and stopped to look at the Ring-tailed Coatis which were inside. They were quite amusing to watch scurrying along the elevated 'walkway' and along, or between, the logs. The only trouble was, with the sun being low in the sky, it was difficult to see them through the small windows.

We walked across and through Muddy Duck Farm and came out into the area in front of the Hall. After taking some photos of the peacocks, which were stood in the corner, we walked past the Hall. It was in such a sorry state, with a broken window, peeling paint and rubbish left lying around as you can see from the following photos.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't see the red-footed tortoise, but did see the Vicuna, Mara, Penguins, Flamingos and Rheas. We didn't see the Tapir, and the Alpacas were in the field, behind the camels, and not where it says on the map. We saw the Ostriches, Wallabies, Emus and Kangaroos. I also stopped and took some photos of the two red-wood trees and a load of ladybirds that were in large groups on top of a fence.

When you go to a Zoo you'd like to think you leave with more knowledge of the animals than when you went in. Unfortunately, there were no signs on a lot of the exhibits and in particular the animals viewed from the treetop walkway. They cannot expect everyone to know what a Tapir, Agouti, Mara or Capibara is, or know the difference between a Rhea, Ostrich, or an Emu. Alpaca or a Vicuna? There were no signs to tell the vistor otherwise and the map isn't the best. The Alpacas mentioned on the map near the penguins were, in fact, in a distant field... up the hill on the way to the camels. It was only the fact that I had my camera on full zoom to see the tree creeper birds and blue tits near the Giraffe house that I noticed them in the view finder. I suspect a lot of visitors would not have even spotted them.

We saw the Zebras and...well, luckily I could point out the Scimitar-horned Oryx to my husband and son because, again, there were no signs telling you what they were. We visited the Chimp house but saw only the one, which was outside. We could barely see the Fruit bats. The light shining through the door was causing reflection problems when you tried to look through the Fruit bat windows, coupled by the fact the windows themselves needed a really good clean on both sides.

The Baboons were out and about, as were the Meerkats. The Parrotsphere provided some entertainment caused by one parrot who showed us its party trick of hanging upside down by its claws, flapping it's wings and just when you were thinking it might have got stuck, it would pull itself upright before doing it all over again.

What I really wanted to see was the display inside the Education Centre as Andrew had assured me they had some good photos in there and they did! I really enjoyed looking at them all.

We ventured inside the Reptile House next and although there was a notice saying most of the exhibits were being moved (or already had been moved!) to a different location we did come across some of the reptiles.. including a huge python.

We went to see the Sea lion show next which was good and informative and then I took our son to see the Pelicans. On the way towards the Tiger house we spotted the Sarus crane. The three White Rhino could be seen, as could all the Giraffes. The tigers were out and lying down in the sun. We saw the three Hippos for the first time and I went up to the viewing area to get a better view of them. I also went to visit the Lions for the first time and was delighted to see most of them outside in the sunshine, but two remained inside, although you could see those as well. We saw all the Giraffes outside and went to look inside their living quarters. You get a good view of the Zoo in general when you eventually get to the top of the steps!

The Ring-tailed Lemurs were outside, but we only saw the black and white ones briefly earlier in the day. Our final stop of the day was to see the animals in the Children's Planet area as it was near our exit point. We saw the Hogs, Coati and Meerkats but didn't spot the Otters or Porcupines.

We spent 5 hours looking around.. minus half an hour for lunch. It was a beautiful sunny day and it was nice to be out in the sunshine without a coat for the first time this year. I'll post some photos in the Gallery, later on today, for those of you who would like to see them.

2. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Pleased you had a good day Debbie, and got to see the history display. Thank-you for the thorough report. Well done on spotting the Alpacas - I didn't the other week and thought they must have gone (Sewerby Zoo has just been offered a group of 9, but that was by the RSPCA not F L). I didn't know there were three White Rhinos, I've only ever seen two at a time. Maybe a new one has arrived with one or both of the older ones due to leave soon?

3. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

Sorry, Andrew, that was obviously a typo. There were two white rhinos. One was outside and the the other one could be seen inside the doorway.

4. Parrotsandrew

Thank-you Debbie. I'm pleased I didn't miss anything when I went!

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me when the Tapir calf was born?

6. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

Hi My son and I visited Flamingoland on the 17th March which i believe is the last weekend before the theme park opens. £5 per person was excellent value and they had a much bigger collection than I imagined.

I agree with Bubbles that the signage was one area where the zoo lets itself down.

One highlight was watching three of scimitar horned oryx rutting (not sure if that is the right term but seems better than fighting!).

7. Parrotsandrew

One of the Head Keepers kindly went and looked it up for me today - it was 28th September 2011.

8. Parrotsandrew

Good news from my visit today (I was one of many visitors clutching a half-price voucher from the local press). Some new signage is in place - only the Alpacas, now back where they usually are, were not identified in the South American area. Apparently everything should be getting a new (or one for the first time) sign, starting at the top of the zoo in "South America" and working downwards. I have posted some photographs.