Join our zoo community

Florida Zoo Questions

Discussion in 'United States' started by yoimmo, 29 Sep 2020.

1. yoimmo

yoimmo Member

Hi everyone, got a few quick questions about any/all of the zoos in Florida:

1.) At which facilities are the aviaries/reptile houses/other indoor exhibits open?

2.) Have the shoebills been on display at Zoo Tampa as of late? They are my primary reason for wanting to visit (I missed them the first time because, unbeknownst to me, the exhibit was under renovations at the time. Whoops.) I'd hate to make the drive out there only for the same thing to happen again :p

3.) Any unusual or rare birds on display in Florida that you can't see at many other zoos? Just curious if there's anything notable nearby that I haven't heard of.

4.) Which zoo or aquarium in Florida is your favorite and why? :)

Thanks!

2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

White-bellied bustard at Jacksonville Zoo, Short-tailed hawk, Swallow-tailed and Mississippi kites, and Osprey at Florida Center for Birds of Prey, Ruby-throated bulbul and definitely others at Zoo Miami. Don't know much more else about Floridian collections.

yoimmo likes this.
  3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Yoimmo

Although I live a little bit far away, I have visited the zoological institutions in Florida many times. However, because of Covid-19, I'm not up to date so I can't answer to the questions 1 and 2.

For 3: Yes, there are: First, there are free ranging American Anhingas at least at Zoo Miami and Disney's Animal Kingdom Park. Then there are Harpyie Eagles, Birds of Paradise and Asian Black-necked Storks at Zoo Miami (not sure if the later are still on exhibit) and some smaller bird species among them there are a few I presume they are not exhibited very often (specially in the big Wings-of-Asia-aviary and to smaller aviaries in the Amazon-and-beyond-zone at Zoo Miami as well as in the African Aviary at Jacksonville Zoo).

For 4: It depends what you are looking for. My personal No. 1 is Zoo Miami (very spacious, tropical atmosphere, many ABC animals, many bird species). No 2 is Disney's Animal Kingdom Park (best immersion exhibits worldwide imo, looking very natural, spacious, but very expensive). No 3 is Jacksonville Zoo (many ABC animals, Bonobos) that has overtaken Zoo Tampa because the later has not that quality of exhibitry the formers have and has demolished its wonderful wetland aviary for African birds. Bush Gardens Tampa is overpriced. St. Augustine's Alligator Farm and Zoo is a must if you are into crocodiles. I can also recommend Brevard Zoo, which is the best of the smaller zoos.
    Among the aquariums and marine parks, I would rate Florida Aquarium Tampa and SeaWorld Orlando together on the first place. The former is more educational, the later more entertaining (and as you probably know, there won't be many time left to see Orcas in captivity in the US because of the breeding stop). No 3 is Clearwater Marine Aquarium with its famous dolphin winter. Seaquarium Miami is a little dated, but has a special early 60s atmosphere. Mote Marine Laboratory is nice, but small (I don't know if they have realized an extension already). And Sea Life Orlando.... well.... If you are able to tell differnces between McDonalds branches, then you are probably also able to differ between the Sea Life Centers worldwide. Otherwise: If you have seen one, you have seen them all...

snowleopard likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Everything is open in Zoo Tampa, aviaries and indoor reptile/manatee areas.
    I don't think so. I have not seen them for quite a while, I am actually about to post about that on the main Zoo Tampa/ Lowry Park Zoo thread here.
    The Florida Aquarium is the best aquarium in the state, if you don't include oceanarium places like Sea World. I think Zoo Tampa is one of the best facilities in the state, and the awards bear that out too.

zoomaniac likes this.