Join our zoo community

Flying snakes in zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mbwamwitu, 5 Feb 2019.

1. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know of zoos that have been able to exhibit flying snakes (golden tree snake, paradise flying snake, etc.) displaying their gliding behavior?

For that matter: same question in reference to flying dracos.

I know a lot of facilities keep flying snakes in terrariums that they don't fly in, but are there any that have managed to create an exhibit in which the snake goes for the leap? Seems unlikely since there wouldn't be much need to do so in captivity, but just wondering.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The subject came up several years ago and at that time there were some flying snake species, but no exhibits big enough for them to glide that anyone knew of: What zoos have flying snakes?

JVM and Brum like this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Milwaukee County Zoo kept Ornate Flying Snakes until recently, when their exhibit became empty with a "new exhibit coming soon" sign. It is possible they are still at the zoo bts.

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

It's unpractical and useless to have flying snakes in an exhibit where they can show their gliding behaviour. The result will be a walthrough rainforest greenhouse where visitors never will see any snake. Snakes would pass all day lying quiet in the branches and for sure there would be no predators that make the snake leap for security. Even seeing one inside a terrarium is difficult (It was the biggest gut punch of my visit to Bonn museum, but despite many efforts and repeated visits I was unable to find a single portion of the flying snake despite looking at every posible corner of the terrarium). So imagine how it would be in a big exhibit!

5. birdsandbats

I never had trouble with Milwaukee's flying snakes when they were on exhibit.

6. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, I should have run a search before posting! I am aware of zoos that have them, since the golden tree snake for example seems to be not uncommon in collections here in India. (I think I've seen one but it was years ago so can't be sure) - it's just the flying behavior that I was wondering about, and the replies on your thread (and this one) seem to confirm why it wouldn't happen.

I figured the lack of predators would be a reason, and your point about the 0% likelihood of zoos investing in an exhibit that would even make it possible is well taken. I guess even if there were hypotheticals under which the snake might fly, e.g. through some kind of enrichment, there is no exhibit under which such an experiment could be conducted. And my hunch is that flying isn't really that necessary an "enrichment" for the snake, so no one would be nuts enough to conduct such an experiment to begin with... but I thought I'd trawl around and see if someone was :p

Nice-looking species, even when it's not flying!

birdsandbats likes this.
  7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Bumping this to see if anyone has any updates on holders.

8. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paradise flying snake (Chrysopelea paradisi) at Toledo Zoo [11:42]
    And according to ZTL, at Moscow Zoo

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Not anymore in the vivarium of König Museum, Bonn?

10. birdsandbats

Toledo is the only North American holder of flying snakes currently.

SwampDonkey and Haliaeetus like this.
  11. SwampDonkey

Does the Dallas Children's Aquarium still have them? I saw a reference in Wikipedia (which I know isn't reliable) that they have them.

Ituri likes this.
  12. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s just not true. In addition to Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park, there’s also the California Academy of Sciences, which usually is reported as having them, Animal World and Snake Farm Zoo, and likely others.

Ituri and Coelacanth18 like this.
  13. birdsandbats

Any idea how they got them? Milwaukee would always make a big deal about how they were the only holder, and then Milwaukee's snakes went to Toledo.

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Brookfield also has flying snakes - so there are at least 5 places with them at the moment.

JVM likes this.
  15. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Private trade, zoo-pursued imports, confiscations - there are many avenues for acquiring strange animals. Sadly zoos are not usually the best at advertising when they have the only specimens of a certain species.

birdsandbats and SwampDonkey like this.
  16. aramacao

aramacao Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Flying snakes are certainly common species in the exotic animal trade. And quite cheap.

17. SwampDonkey

I am given to understand they are much more common in the European exotic market than the USA exotic market, but I am not that involved in the reptile trade to know for any certainty.

18. SwampDonkey

Having just been Friday March 17 2023, I can confirm that they still do.
    [​IMG]

splendens likes this.
  19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember seeing a paradise tree snake many years ago. I think more people would have been interested if the sign had mentioned that the snake can glide between trees.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  20. SwampDonkey

I totally agree, one complaint I have about the Cal Academy of Science is the lack of informational signage. They have lots of pretty and up to date signs with names of animals, but very little practical information about them at all.

Dassie rat likes this.