Join our zoo community

Food Preservation in Europe

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 8 Jan 2015.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I have a question about how nations other than my own do their annual canning. I live in the U.S. and the instructions I follow are issued by the USDA and are specific but easy to follow. I have to warm the jars first, then cover them with the approved type lids, and then process them in either a boiling water canner for a set number of minutes.

Meanwhile, I am told, in other countries, specifically in places such as Europe other, more old timey methods are in use, specifically methods I was warned about, e.g. open kettle canning (no heat processing after the jars are filled, risk of mold spores entering during filling of jars), processing the jars in the oven (sounds dangerous, I understand they are at risk for exploding there), canning with old timey jars that I have been warned about, all with the assurance that the only reason that the only reason I follow the directions I was given is because I am a stupid American germ freak.

Now, then getting to the question. Is there any kind of canning safety authority similar to what we have here (the National Center for Home Food Preservation) that gives out instructions on what you can can and how to do so? While I am asking questions are the methods I just mentioned really endorsed as safe?

The reason that I am asking here is because of the sad fact that a zoo website is more likely to give me a reasoned and well though out answer than the cooking websites I know of. Anyway, does anyone know?

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I cannot believe there is such a thing as a National Centre for Home Food Preservation, it just seems insane! Bet no one would admit to working there!

I'm sure there is a regulatory body (or many) in Europe (as its not one country) that controls food safety generally (more applicable possibly to food that is sold rather than just for home consumption). And I'm sure many of those methods are safe, and that your germ phobia is probably excessive and unnecessary and you'll be fine if you eat some mold spores. :D