Join our zoo community

Football banter thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Cat-Man, 23 May 2012.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi all, I thought it was time for a new football thread on zoochat, an on the back of an exciting season, which saw new Premier League and Champions League winners, I am wondering on your opinions of the results and your predictions for next year. I'll kick us off with some predictions for my Club, Arsenal:
    - A major squad overhaul will take place, with all the deadwood sold (such as Squillaci, Djourou, Denilson, Bentner, Chamakh, Chu-Young etc) and real talents brough in ( such as Hoilett, Podolski, Belhanda, Vertongen, M'Vila etc).
    - As usual, a vast crop of young talents will come through Arsenals doors.
    - Robin van Persie will STAY.
    -Arsenal will Challenge for the title, but will fall just short, finishing 2nd, ahead of Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle and Tottenham, but behind Man City.
    - An improvement in the domestic cups, with a possible victory in one of them.
    - Finally, one for the optimists among us, Arsenè Wenger will finally get his 2nd career dream, and win the Uefa Champions League. (Hey, If Chelsea can do it, why can't we?)

Please comment on your predictions for Next season (both EPL and all leagues, as well as European football & international) and your views on this years Campaigns :)

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't thought much about next season, but I'm convinced Stoke will be relegated. They were the lowest scores in ALL leagues last season and the manager is looking for a centre-half (again!).

They only won four games out of the last 22 and the manager thinks they are progressing.

I had my doubts until the weekend when they re-signed Mamady Sidibe who has not played for two years, and whose idea of a hat-trick is three goals in his entire career.

Peter Crouch arrived last summer but the manager would not sign him unless Wilson Palacios came also. He hasn't played Palacois much, so what was the point?

Cat-Man, will you PM me? I've tried to PM you but I keep getting a page that says you are not a member of ZooChat, when you obviously are.

3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agree with you on stoke, they haven't been very good this season, however, I would be sad to see them relegated, and I think they'll swap places with Wigan, as wigan become a mid table side & Stoke struggling to suprise. I'm actually under the impression that with a few key signings, stoke could become a very pretty footballing side. I will inbox you at once Bongorob :)

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Cat-man is not the only user that comes up with that when you try to contact them!

5. bongorob

Predictons for the Premier League from 6 journalists working for The People.

Champions
    Manchester City 4 votes
    Manchester United 2 votes

runners-up
    Chelsea 4 votes
    Manchester City 1 vote
    Manchester United 1 vote

third place
    Manchester United 3 votes
    Chelsea 2 votes
    Manchester City 1 vote

Relegation
    Norwich City 3 votes
    Swansea City 3 votes
    Wigan Athletic 3 votes
    Reading 2 votes
    West Bromwich Albion 2 votes
    West Ham United 2 votes
    Aston Villa 1 vote
    Fulham 1 vote
    Southampton 1 vote

I'm glad to see Stoke City are not mentioned, I have a feeling they will struggle this season.

My predictions
    Champions Manchester United
    2nd Manchester City
    3rd Arsenal

relegated
    Stoke City, Swansea City, Queens Park Rangers

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, Chelsea won the Champions League Final just because Bayern Munich was too stupid to bring it home. All over the game, the Bavarians were better. Normally, I really like the way English teams playing Football (powerful, offensive), specially Liverpool, Arsenal and ManU. But was Chelsea did - and I think even football fans from England must admit this - was defensive anti-football from cowards. Unfortunately it was succesfull and in 2 or 3 years, no-one will ask how they won the title.

As for the premier league, I presume that Manchester City will make it.

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

My predictions:

Premier league champions: Manchester City
    Runners up: Manchester United
    Third: Chelsea
    Fourth: Liverpool

Champions League winner: Barcelona

Championship winner: Wolves
    Runners up: Bolton
    Playoffs: Blackpool, Cardiff, Blackburn, Birmingham (Promoted)

I also think that Chelsea will be much better this season with new signings, Oscar, Thorgan and Eden Hazard plus Marko Marin.

My 'local' team Burnley have also strengthened since last season. I was lucky enough to go their open day and saw them train. Sam Vokes looks very good and sharp, Brian Stock also looks an interesting playmaker. I do like Joseph Mills and the new skipper, Jason Shackell, very promising signings.

8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I like the way your mind works JJ! :D
    I hope that the mighty Birmingham make it up this season, we've had a rough couple of years and I personally think that we deserve a top flight spot.

(Glad it's not all about the premiership! :p)

As for top flight predictions :-
    Manchester City to win;
    Manchester United or Liverpool to battle it out for second;
    A sad fourth place finish for Chelsea;
    Arsenal and Tottenham to try for fifth!

And going down this season :-
    West Brom, Swansea and either Reading or Fulham!

Remember you saw it here first! :D

9. zoogiraffe

Well the only way I would like to see Birmingham ****** in the premership,is if Aston Villa have already been relegated:p.Which I doubt will happen now we have got rid of,a manager that we should never have employed given,the lack of high quality clubs or experience he had got,before we employed him last season.:eek:

10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Very true point! Swansea won't be relegated, their too strong Jonathan De Guzman is a very hot prospect! I think Southampton will be relegated, too weak. Jay Rodriguez is quality from my Burnley.:p

11. Brum

Never had you down as a Villa fan ZG... And to think I liked you up until that point! :p
    And that's what happens when you play dirty and steal your rivals manager! :D

12. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

My contact at Old Trafford says he will be a United player by close of play on Friday :D

13. bongorob

The problem is most fans didn't want him.

14. Brum

We were quite happy with him at the time. He took us up to top flight, best ever finish and won us the Carling Cup........ One word to sum up how I felt?

BETRAYED!

Rant over.

He did ruin Villa's season though so it wasn't all bad! ;)

Last edited: 15 Aug 2012
  15. Reevesie

Reevesie Well-Known Member

My Predictions for the Premier League would be :-

Winners - Liverpool

Relegated - Man Utd, Chelski and Arsenal

I know thats only ever gonna happen on Fifa lol, so realistically :-

1. Man City
    2. Man Utd
    3. Chelski
    4. Liverpool

Relegated :- Southampton, West Brom and Reading

16. zoogiraffe

Hey we all have our crosses to bare,mine is being a Villa fan.Just for the record I do have some very good friends are supporters of that club whose name I cannot say,we just agree not to talk football and stick to the subjects that brought us together as friends!

17. zoogiraffe

Have to second that,but will also add I've yet to meet a Villa fan who actually wanted him as manager,it would appear that the only person who wanted him as manager at Villa,was the owner Randy Learner.Atleast this time we have a manager the fans wanted,as Villa fans are normally very loyal to the clubs manager,unless there name is David O'Leary!!

18. Brum

Hear, hear, I agree entirely... Until match day anyway! ;)

19. bongorob

Having seen today's results I haven't changed my opinion of Stoke going down. They played against a very poor Reading side, took the lead, attempted to hold on for a 1-0 win, took off their best player and paid the penalty (literally). The game ought to have been won by half time.

And Mr Pulis really ought to sort out the disciplinary problem. five bookings and a sending off. Not good enough.

20. Brum

At least no-one else has a pink strip! :eek: