Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Former bird question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AdrianW1963, 16 Jun 2019.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been asked for some help and would like to know if there is any where I could get a complete list of ALL former bird species held on show or off show at Chester zoo.

I have looked at ZTL and it’s all mixed species on the list’s is there a way I can get just the birds list from ZTL or do I have to look through every species.

I would love to know where the former bird species where held with in the collection but maybe that’s a big ask or is there a way I can get the locations from other web sites this part is for myself as it would be very interesting to see which species were mixed with other species?

Many thanks in advance

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Expert search

Zoo: Chester (Zoo)
    Class: Birds

3. AdrianW1963

Many thanks didn't realise I could do that also this helps as I would love to know what reptiles they have had at the zoo again many thanks

4. AdrianW1963

The gentleman who wanted my help would like to pass on his thanks for the information Little red panda and many thanks from me again.

He as 1000's of photographs of Chester zoo from the 60's through to the late 90's on film and from early 00's on cards I ask if I can put them on here but unfortunately he as refused as he will be putting them on another site in due course.

I don't know why and he wouldn't say because there are some great photographs but will try and ask again in the future.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  5. AdrianW1963

I have become very interested in the list of former bird species at the collection.

I would like to know if there is any where I could possibly get a date as to when the species arrived and when they left the collection this maybe a massive ask but does anyone know please?

I have also noticed the collection did keep many domestic species, did they have an area for domestic bird species in the past or were these species just added to the collection and displayed amongst other species from abroad?

6. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You could try looking through the Avicultural society magazines 1934+. There is one in the 1950's dedicated to the birds-of-paradise that they kept at the time. It is quite hit and miss but there is some interesting non-zoo stuff in them too.

7. AdrianW1963

Does anyone remember the CD's they did I think there was 2 but can't remember what was on them
    1 could have been for guides and the other for maps not sure but if anyone as a spare set I would like to see them please?

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I used to post a biennial list of ChesterZoo species, but because of computer problems I got very much behind.

I am still working on the project and had hoped to have it all ready fprm 13th June, the zoo's 90th birthday.

I did manage to complete the reptile list so here it is.

It lists all the reptile species I am able to trace, obviously I cannot claim it to be 100% accurate, but it can't be far off.

All the files will be posted in their own thread later in the year I hope.

Attached Files:

pipaluk likes this.