Join our zoo community

Minnesota Zoo Former Species of the Minnesota Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Dhole dude, 20 Nov 2021.

1. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The Nilgiri tahr we're returned to India in 1997? I saw them in 2003. They were my favorite animals on my visit. Were some animals from the group returned, but not all? Also if/when they were sent back to India, where they released in the wild or send to an Indian zoo? If the latter, which zoo? I will say, I don't know of any captive Nilgiri tahr even in India currently.

2. MNZoo Fanatic

MNZoo Fanatic Member

Not sure, the newspaper might not have been accurate. It was a line in the article about the Coral Reef tank going in, saying several were slated to be returned for breeding to India, but not where they were specifically going. I'll dig a bit deeper the next time I have time to sit down at the library with the Star Trib database, see if there is a follow up article. And you're right, I could have sworn I saw them later then 1997... before the Trancaspian Urials came.

3. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thank you, I appreciate it. I would love to learn more about this. As I said, I did see them on my first visit in 2003 and I really miss them!

4. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Thanks for the extra information! some of this I was already aware of, like the Loon birth, opening of the Komodo Dragon Exhibit, The Asiatic Lions and the Koalas, but others I was not.

StoppableSan likes this.