Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Former Toronto Zoo Animals

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 10 Apr 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TZFan

3. TZFan

Orangutan, Mias II, died Oct 20th in Denver. He was born July 10, 1983 and was the son of Dinding and Abigail. He suffered from a chronic cough and cold which could possibly have caused or been related to his sudden death. He is the father of one daughter, 4 year old Hesty. He was Ramai and Kembali's uncle, Jingga's great uncle and Sekali's brother.

Beloved orangutan at Denver Zoo dies at 31

4. TZFan

Gorilla, Subira, son of Charles and the late Samantha, has been moved from Granby to Dallas. He is now the silverback of his own family group with females Megan, Madge and Shanta. He has proven quite a charmer for the girls and there is great hopes that once the group is settled breeding will begin.

New silverback joins female gorillas | Dallas ZooHoo!

5. TZFan

I decided to look on the other young male gorillas Toronto owns but never lived at the zoo. NTondo moved from Kansas's bachelor group to the Bronx where once he clears quarantine he will become the silverback of his own group.

Half brother MBundi hasnt moved yet so hes still waiting to go to Gladys Porter. He is being kept alone so I would guess they will move him sooner rather than later. Once he is with his females MBundi will produce the first great grandchild for Josephine and Barney. It would be the first 4th generation gorilla connected to any of the original gorillas.

Both males moving into breeding situations, plus Subira means Toronto will begin to own even more gorillas as they sire young.

6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

If it matters to you paws gets none of my money and none of my support, ever. I will never miss a chance to tell anyone what a bunch of jerks they are.

Remember, we only get to see what they want us to see now, is my impression. God only knows what is really happening there, whats this about the youngest suddenly not getting along with the older two?

7. TZFan

I would love to be able to answer your question wensleydale but like I said I refuse to read anything connected to the elephants or PAWS. If I see an article I will post it for the others who do care but I'm so done with that terrible chapter.

8. TZFan

Big news out of Milwaukee. Gorilla, Shalia, daughter of Charles and Samantha, has had her first baby. The baby boy was born Nov 24th and has just gone on display with the troop. Odds are the little boy belongs to Toronto since he is Shalia's first.

Baby gorilla makes his debut at Milwaukee County Zoo

9. TZFan

10. TZFan

While never living at the zoo Toronto owned gorilla, Mbundi, has been transferred to Gladys Porter Zoo. The 22 year old silverback will head up his own group where he is to breed first with female Penny. He's getting used to his new home before being introduced to the females. His first baby will be the first 4th generation gorilla born to the Toronto troops original 6. He is Josephine and Barney's grandson.

New gorilla on display at Gladys Porter Zoo - Brownsville Herald: Local News

11. TZFan

12. TZFan

Warthog, Norm's, litter mate Lilith, has given birth to a litter of 5 piglets at the Detroit Zoo. Her babies were named after Game of Throne characters, females Daenerys, Sansa and Cersei, and males Tyrion and Hodor.

Detroit Zoo shows off new warthog piglets

13. TZFan

14. TZFan

For those of you missing tapir, Tanuck, Parc Safari has posted a video of him out on exhibit on their facebook page. From the short clip he has a big natural exhibit to enjoy. Much better than his cramped quarters in Toronto. Looks like this might have been a really good move for him.

15. TZFan

Gorillas, Charles and Josephine, have become grandparents again. Son Jomo's mate Anju gave birth Aug 25 to a girl at Cincinnati Zoo. It's the third surviving offspring for Jomo. Older siblings are eight year old male Bakari (now living in a bachelor group elsewhere) and one year old female Mondika.

Cincinnati Zoo Celebrates 50th Gorilla Birth - The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjPlGNy5yxc

With other Toronto owned male gorillas Subira, MBundi and Ntondo now in breeding situations gorillas linked to the zoo are about to become more numerous.

16. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

17. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Early this year Lowland Gorilla Subira (Charles x Samantha) went from Granby to Dallas to breed with their females. In the spring keepers said they heard he was very ill but I heard nothing more until talking yesterday with a keeper who is very interested in Subira. She said he had indeed been near death from a possible parasite or Crone's disease. It took several blood transfusions before he began to recover, but he was very slow to regain the 100 pounds that he had lost. It wasn't until late summer that he was able to return to his troop, she said.

18. TZFan

That is indeed very good news to hear. I had heard the same thing from several sources but its fantastic to hear he bounced back and has returned to his troop. Now we can look forward to more positive news from Dallas in the future in the form of gorilla babies.

19. TZFan

Sad news from Oaklawn Farm and Zoo cheetahs, Zoey and Shamwari, have both passed away. Zoey died Dec 5th while older sister Shamwari died Dec 14th. That leaves Shamwari's litter mate Pinky as the sole cheetah at Oaklawn.

20. TZFan

Puppe's grandson, Malu, is making news. He and dad Santan, along with the reset of the orangs at Melbourne Zoo are part of a project were the orangs are getting to play interactive video games. The games are quite simple for now but its fascinating to watch. I hope this is something Toronto tries out.

Experiment has zoo's orang-utans seeing red