Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Former Toronto Zoo Animals

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 10 Apr 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Twiga's son Shomari/Michael has just become a father again. This is his fifth offspring following Dane, Sunshine, Buttercup and Asha. The gender has not been revealed but a 6th calf is on the way in July. Shomari is the most genetically valuable male Masai giraffe in North America while sister Mstari is the most genetically valuable female. Both owe their value to grand mother Heidi who was a European import who only one calf that survived to breed, Twiga who in turn only has had 2 calves survive and breed. Son Mowgli has 2 surviving calves who are just about to become breeders. Shomari has his 5, nearly 6, with his eldest two about to become breeders and the middle two just arriving at their future breeding locations. Hopefully Mstari will have similar success with all surviving calves like Shomari. Will she have as many? No because she is a female but if she can have all survive and breed that will be amazing.

Giraffe born at Santa Barbara Zoo

2. TZFan

3. TZFan

I found a cool little blurb about wombat's Hamlet and Tessa's daughter Kindyerra (first time I have ever seen her name but remember seeing her as a joey at the zoo). It talks about the 1998 birth of her first joey Kindilan. Kindilan is current wombat Matilba's aunt.

Kindilan Means Joyful | San Diego Zoo 100

4. TZFan

Gorilla, Amanda, who just happens to be Ngozi's mother and on of the zoo's original 7 gorilla babies, has been donated to Woodland Park Zoo. She's been there on loan since 1994 where she produced daughters Ngozi, Calaya and Uzumma. The transfer of ownership really doesn't change anything. She's lived there for over 20 years and is like Josephine well past breeding age so its more of a gesture then anything else.

5. TZFan

Orang, Jahe, who now lives in Memphis has just given birth via csection to her first infant. The male was born Mar 19th to Jahe and her mate Tombak. For a first time mom who was recovering from a csection and not really getting to be with her son for the first 11 days of his life she has taken to motherhood really well. They are now back together. Jahe is the daughter of Puppe and Molek. For those interested you can vote on his name.

orangutan

6. TZFan

7. TZFan

Gorilla, Zuri, who lived at the zoo briefly, is in critical condition in Calgary after a severe abdominal infection required emergency surgery. For those who don't remember her Zuri lived at the between 1998 and 2001 as the zoo attempted to integrate her into the troop following her mother rejecting her at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Toronto was chosen because she is the daughter of one of the original males at the zoo Barney and thus she belongs to Toronto (as does her daughter Yewande). Had she fit in she would have been a good breeding partner for Charles in time. She suffers from epilepsy and our troop never took to her. She was relocated to Calgary which at the time had a younger group more accepting of her condition which is now fairly well controlled by medication.

Calgary Zoo gorilla in critical condition following emergency surgery | Calgary Herald

8. TZFan

Exciting news out of Perth Zoo. Orangutan male, Nyaru, will be released back into the wild. Why am I posting it on the former TO animal page? His father is Dinar who was born at the zoo to Dinding and Abigail. This will be the second of Dinar's sons to give it a go in the wild. His first son Semeru was released several years ago but died months later due to a poisonous snake bite. Just bad luck. Prior to that he had been doing very well.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/w...utan-to-be-released-into-the-wild-in-sumatra/

9. TZFan

Gorillas, Sekani and Catherine as well as Sekani's daughter Adelina, will be welcoming their new silverback Kivu. Sekani is Charles and Samantha's daughter. Catherine is Barney and Caroline's daughter. And Kivu himself comes from a Toronto gorilla, little known Zira.

Little Rock Zoo welcomes male gorilla | THV11.com

10. whitters23

whitters23 Member

Awww, congratulations to Jahe! She was always one of my favourite orangutans. I used to laugh at the way she would brush her hair down her forehead. I always wondered where she ended up. What a sweet girl. She looks like a very proud mama.

11. TZFan

Welcome to the forum Witters23! If you want to know were any other animal is from the zoos past please feel free to ask. I'm a wealth of useless information and if I don't know someone else here likely does.

12. whitters23

whitters23 Member

Thank you! I've been a dedicated zoo goer all of my life. I love the Toronto Zoo so much that's actually where my husband proposed. I wish I knew of this forum years ago! I never knew such a place existed and by happy accident stumbled across it the other day. I've been reading through the threads and I am learning so much, like the zoo ownership of babies born elsewhere. Very interesting stuff.

I am a bit of a genealogy nerd and I am very curious if there is a thread dedicated to the family trees of the gorillas and orangutans (or some of the other large animals). It would be interesting to see all the generations of TZ animals and where they've ended up/who owns them, ect.

13. whitters23

whitters23 Member

Spooky! I have the exact same memory as a kid.

14. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

15. TZFan

Oh bongos are definitely one of my top please return to the zoo species. African Wild Dogs, Aardvarks, Mandrills then bongos... I might be forgetting one but for now that's my list.

And whitters23 you came to the right nut job for genealogy and the zoo. I have exactly what you are looking for and shall PM it to you. I have other master lists too. All you have to do is ask.

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

18. TZFan

19. TZFan

20. TZFan

Cheetah, Miti, who was born at the zoo to Mya and Rafiki, has given birth to 7 cubs at the National Zoo's Conservation Institute. Two cubs died but the other five are doing well. She and her sisters certainly do well with producing large litters. This is likely Miti's last litter.

Twelve Cheetah Cubs Born at Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute