Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Former Toronto Zoo Animals

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 10 Apr 2014.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Hyak_II very true. Sister Barika does have a little girl but none of the boys from Calgary have bred. MBundi and N'tondo are the oldest boys and while both have been silverbacks for several years they haven't been allowed to breed. MBundi at first because they were rebuilding a group and the later because there was a medical concern with the youngest member of the troop. N'tondo hasn't been allowed to breed because he has a vision problem and they want to see if they can get that fixed or if he can cope well before considering breeding. Side note all three of those Calgary gorillas are Toronto owned thanks to their mothers, Julia for N'tondo and Barika, and Tabitha for MBundi.

The next two oldest boys N'sabi and N'kofi died before being given troops.

Jawara and Zwalani are the next boys and they are both at Granby chilling until the right homes are ready to take on both. My money is Toronto for Toronto owned Jawara (son of Julia). Zwalani is Tabitha's boy and Toronto owned.

Yewande is Zuri's daughter and both are Toronto owned thanks to good old Barney. Yewande might be next to breed given her age and the fact a new male will arrive probably sooner rather than later at this point. Well that is unless another female is approved to breed with MBundi now that they are in the family building phase. More likely to happen if its a boy so he has a bother for his bachelor days.

Kimani is owned by the Bronx.

Calgary definitely got the short end of the stick when it came to the deal to breed with the Toronto girls. They only got ownership ofan unnamed female infant born to Julia who was stillborn. They did own N'sabi and a sibling that didn't survive but they were born to Donge.

On the Toronto ownership note the zoo owns...
    Josephine - Toronto
    Charles - Toronto
    Amanda - recently ownership was given to Woodland Park her long time home. It explains why we own Ngozi.
    Catherine - Little Rock (Barney x Caroline)
    MBundi - Gladys Porter (Kakinga x Tabitha)
    Zwalani - Granby (Kakinga x Tabitha)
    Jomo - Cincinnati (Charles x Josephine) Daugthers Mondika and Elle are not TO's
    Bakari - Oklahoma City (Jomo X Muke)
    Johari - Toronto (Charles x Josephine)
    Sekani - Little Rock (Charles x Samantha) Son Mosi is Little Rocks
    Adelina - Little Rock (Fossey x Sekani)
    Bukavu - Little Rock (Kivu x Sekani) most likely TO's
    Subira - Dallas (Charles x Samantha) Daughter Saambili and son Mbani likely not TO's
    Shalia - Milwaukee (Charles x Samantha)
    Suliaman - Milwaukee (Cassius x Shalia)
    Ngozi - Toronto (Vip x Amanda)
    Nassir - Toronto (Charles x Ngozi)
    Nneka - Toronto (Charles x Ngozi)
    Charlie - Toronto (Charles x Ngozi)
    Ntondo - Bronx (Kakinga x Julia)
    Jawara - Granby (Kakinga x Julia)
    Bakari - Sedgwick (Kakinga x Julia)
    Alika - Sedgwick (Matt x Bakari)
    Patrick - Riverbanks (Barney x Pattycake)
    Zuri - Calgary (Barney x Juju)
    Yewande - Calgary (Kakinga x Zuri)

Last edited: 11 May 2019
    Yi Qi and Mr Wrinkly like this.
  2. TZFan

Current gorilla, Josephine, and former male, Barney, are great grandparents again for the second time in a month. Grandson, Mbundi, has sired his welcomed his second infant.

Gladys Porter Zoo welcomes new baby gorilla

TinoPup and Jambo like this.
  3. Mr Wrinkly

Mr Wrinkly Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

4. TZFan

@Mr Wrinkly, small correction. Amanda was sent on a breeding loan to Woodland Park. At the time there was no guarantee Toronto would get a breeding female in exchange. Naturally they would get ownership of some offspring and in this case we just got ownership of Ngozi, Her arrival was not decided until she reached maturity and Charles was chosen as the best match for her. Recently Toronto gave official ownership of Amanda to Woodland Park.

Sad to think we are down to 3 of the original 7 infants are still alive and while this has been the case for some time, they are getting older and in the not too distant future there will be none. Even some of the originals children who have survived to adulthood are slowing down. Jomo is probably most at risk since he now as a degenerative spinal problem which is incurable.

5. TZFan

6. TZFan

Our former gorillas have had a bad 2020 so far like the rest of us. In Dallas new father Subira died of heart failure at the end of March. He was the son of Charles and the late Samantha. Luckily before he passed he did father two offspring, Saambili and Mbani.

Dallas Zoo gorilla Subira, who was ‘an excellent father,’ dies at 24

Today it was also announced that one of Toronto's original gorillas, Amanda, also has passed at Woodland Park. She is the mother of Ngozi and grandmother to Nassir, Nneka and Charlie. She also had two younger daughters. Calaya who now lives at the National Zoo with her son Moke. And Uzumma who just had her first son Kitobo at Woodland Park.

Amanda the gorilla, Woodland Park Zoo’s oldest animal, euthanized due to poor health

Amanda's passing means we are now down to 2 of the original 8 babies imported. Josephine and Charles are all who remain. I'm sure all due to the excellent care they get in Toronto.The first was a male who died months after arrival. We likely wouldn't have got Charles, the baby of the group, if he had survived. Barney was the first of the 7 who grew up at the zoo to go in 1998. Caroline followed in 2002, Julia in 2007, Samantha in 2010 and then Amanda in 2020.

Elephant Enthusiast and Judache like this.
  7. TZFan

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@TZFan This article is from 2015.

9. TZFan

@animalman0341 oops. I never thought to check the date. Wonder why google thought when I wanted zoo news it was right to give me a 5 year old article instead of new zoo news. Oh well. It's what I get for totally trusting google.

10. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not particularly news but I found it interesting, Safari Niagara is home to a 27 year old DeBrazza's monkey born at the Toronto Zoo Oct, 4th, 1993.
    I don't know what she was named when she was here but she goes by Doc Henderson now.

Login • Instagram

I know Nandu, Indian Rhinoceros and Cassie Red Panda also live there now.

11. TZFan

@kingoffreaks I checked my records for you to see if the DeBrazza's monkey was originally Doc Henderson and I don't have any records on that species. No names in the studbooks. However she came from Calgary which is where we did send a female that matches all of that info. She was one of the last ones born at the zoo.

Lately Safari Niagara and Parc Safari seem to be the big go tos for transferring surplus animals for the zoo. They both have good working relationships with Toronto. They also have red river hog Casey. Probably some of their Barbary apes too. There are probably more but I'm not sure. The zoo also has used the Safari a number of times in the past to just hold animals for them during a reno or to free space temporarily. They did this for snow leopard Kota, and red panda Maki for example.

Parc Safari is the bigger go to right now. Off the top of my head right now they have...

Lynx - Ember, Emma and Emerson
    Malayan tapir - Tanuck
    Lion - Simba (first son of Nokonda and Rowdy who has outlived his brothers)
    White lions - Harrison, Hank, and Oliver (brother Gus got kicked out of the pride and was sent to a sanctuary in the US)
    Clouded Leopard - Levy (but maybe Safari Niagara I dont remember)
    Cheetah - Azu and Cleo
    White Rhino - Tony
    Greater Kudu - Ogden, Odin and Rio if they all still live
    Sable Antelope - Puff Daddy and Savannah
    Przewalski's Horse - 2 or 3

We also have a fair bit from Parc Safari...
    Cheetah - Laini
    Hyena - Echo
    Eland - Juan Pablo, Ed, T-Rex and Pierre
    Wildebeest - Charlie, Ben and Abe
    Arctic Fox - Storm and Elsa
    Arctic Wolf - Imiq
    Ostriches - Omlette and Zendrick (I think)

kingoffreaks and Jungle Man like this.
  12. kingoffreaks

@TZFan
    Thank that's all very interesting!
    You wouldn't know where the last of our Mandrills and Patas Monkeys went if we had any left before the African Rainforest renovation?

13. TZFan

@kingoffreaks I can help with that pal!

Firstly the patas monkeys left long before the mandrills. I don't have names and cannot tell you if any survive today because they left in two batches ad one group left the AZA. Our last birth was a male in 2001. He and the last three babies born and surviving to adulthood went to Buenos Aires Zoo in 2001. They were joined by an adult male and female. The last two females went to Granby where they died in 2014 and 2019.

On to mandrills I can offer way more information on our last mandrills. I'll deal with any mandrills who left from say 2007 and on because we had the reno in complete in 2009.

Annette (F) she moved to San Diego with Tammy, Kesi and JJ in 2013. She died there in 2016.
    Jabba (M) he passed away at the zoo in 2010. His death led to the zoo changing its mind about keeping mandrills. I would rather mandrills over lemurs so bummer.
    All who follow are the offspring of Jabba and Annette.
    Rafiki (M) passed away in 2016 but he moved to Columbus in 2011, Denver in 2011 and then settled in Jacksonville in 2013. Though originally thought to be a non breeder he sired six offspring. He had sons Jaco, Bobby, Obi and a one that only lived a month, daughter Leia and one more I can't find anything about even gender. He was also unique in that he was deaf and had blue eyes. Son Bobby as one blue eye like dad.
    Ndoki (M) has lived in Moncton since 2009.
    Saffron (F) lived in Dallas and has since 2007. She has a son Obi born 2014. Dallas no longer holds mandrills but I don't know where she was moved to.
    Mohawk (F) died at the zoo in 2010. She was just two.
    Tammy (F) went to San Diego in 2013 where she died in 2016.
    Kesi (F) lives in San Diego and went there in 2013. She is living there today with her mate Jasper and son who was born in 2016. I couldn't find her sons name. She is still to breed.
    Sudi (F) and JJ (M) live together in Fort Worth. Sudi first went to Dallas in 2007 with sister Saffron. In 2014 she moved to Fort Worth. JJ first went to San Diego in 2013 then on to Fort worth in 2016 where he joined his big sister. They are just in a social group with no plans to breed.

While not part of the window I set up there is one other living Toronto mandrill, Sonny, who lives at Elmvale Jungle Zoo since 2000 after a brief spell at Granby. He is the son of Jabba and Cher.

14. TZFan

@kingoffreaks correction to my previous statement about clouded leopard Levy. She did go to Safari Niagara. I went looking for the information and was able to confirm which of the two it was.

15. kingoffreaks

@TZFan Thanks for all the information, Elmvale lost an adult male Mandrill named George this year, is it possible Sonny's name was changed, I believe they still have another Mandrill but looks younger. How old was Sonny?

16. TZFan

He would be 23 this year. He was born in 1997. The studbooks stop records for animal transferred out of the AZA so even a newer studbook wouldn't tell me more. Could have renamed him. I have no way to confirm if they are the same or different animals. He is the only mandrill recorded going to Elmvale as well so the second one must have come from a non AZA zoo or the pet trade.

17. TZFan

It was announced on the zoo's live stream former zebra Leia has had her first filly in San Diego. Very good for the species as both Tori but especially Jake are extremely valuable.

TinoPup, Mr Wrinkly and Jungle Man like this.
  18. TZFan

19. TZFan

20. Akula

Akula Well-Known Member

Do we own Shalia’s first baby and will we own her second?