Join our zoo community

Forum outage today

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 13 Jan 2011.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Hi all,

Apologies for the extended and unscheduled outage today. My hosting provider contacted me and said they were having trouble with our server - very high server loads.

They offered to move the site to a new server to help alleviate the problems, which I agreed to.

The outage was made longer due to the fact that we all have to wait for our DNS to get updated with the new server information.

DNS (Domain Name Server) is the service which translates a website address (eg zoochat.com) into a network address (eg 65.99.228.8), which is what tells the browser where the server for that website actually is on the internet.

DNS updates are made at the source (ie at our hosting provider) and then need to get updated all across the internet for your computer to then learn what the new address is. This process can take some time - up to 48 hours from the time the change was made.

Sometimes the update comes through really quickly, but sometimes you have to wait a while longer - difficult to tell how long the outage will last.

Anyway - the upside is that this new server is far more powerful than the old one, so hopefully the site performance is much better than it was before.

Let me know if you come across anything on the site which doesn't work.

PS. if you have been reporting gallery items which need attention and requesting new galleries and such - please be patient a little longer ... I'm almost caught up with my backlog of work and will then try and get caught up with the requests (and find someone to help me keep on top of things in the future!)

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update hope all goes well