Join our zoo community

Closed Forums and Glalleries changing to zoo's full names

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Ituri, 20 Jan 2012.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've noticed many forums and galleries have changed to the zoo's full and proper name.

In the spirit of this, the Boise Zoo should be Zoo Boise Home

Boise Aquarium should be Idaho Aquarium
    Idaho Aquarium

Hogle Zoo should be Utah's Hogle Zoo
    Utah's Hogle Zoo | Home

Thanks!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I'm not generally in favour of using the "Zoo XXXX" structure that has become popular amongst zoos in English speaking countries. Similarly, I find it a little awkward with French/Spanish/German/etc speaking countries which do similar because of language structure.

What happens is that we then end up with an alphabetical list of zoos where there are lots of entries under Z (for zoo) and similar in other languages.

However, now that I think about it, I figure that it would probably be better to be accurate with names (for the sake of consistency), and work around the sorting issue by either allowing names to be sorted by some other factor ... eg in the database, have two entries: "correct name", and "sorting name", where we use "Zoo Boise" as the correct name, and "Boise Zoo" as the sorting name. This might be confusing to some people though - if they find Zoo Boise positioned between Blank Park Zoo and Brevard Zoo.

Also along this line, I'm hoping to be able to implement quick-find features in the next version of ZooChat, which would allow you to quickly find information on the site by typing into a text-box what it is you are looking for - and it would do a look-ahead search based on what you type ... for example, to go to the Zoo Boise gallery, you could start typing "bois", and it would come up with entries for "Zoo Boise" as well as "Boise Aquarium" (for example). Ideally, it would also match "also known as" names, such that typing "Boise Aquarium" also matches "Idaho Aquarium". At least, that's my vision!

3. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Trotters world of animals I believe has changed it's name to lake district wildlife park.