Join our zoo community

Fota Wildlife Park Fota Wildlife Park News

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by AthleticBinturong, 18 Feb 2014.

1. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any info on what species are planned? I believe they wanted to get back to the number of capybara they use to have

2. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

Sign said Tapir, cabybara, dharwins rhea and an aviary for macaws.. could add new species like anteaters

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. ArboLowe

Litter confirmed as a male and two females

5. Laughing Thrush

Laughing Thrush New Member

2,0 red pandas have been born

6. ArboLowe

From parks Snapchat looks like 0.0.4 oryx have been born in the last while

7. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. ArboLowe

'Today we made the very sad announcement that Tadgh one of our Rothschild giraffes and a much-loved resident of Fota Wildlife Park passed away last night.' He was born in Hamburg Zoo in 2001 and had lived at The Park since 2004. Tadgh sired 23 calves and also has 17 grandchildren. The park has been rotating the herd between Tadgh and the other male Wally since 2011. He is due to become a father again this summer

Last edited: 10 Jan 2018
  9. ArboLowe

Tropical House is now home to the mountain chick frog. Other new th red panda are now in the Asian sanctuary.

10. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At Fota last week on a very cold day. Most of the animals were tucked up and hard to observe, but I still had a nice walk and enjoyed the visit. They have 2 female Diana monkeys on one of the islands and intend to add more. The new Tapir house is complete with a large aviary for Macaws, and the outdoor enclosure landscaping is almost finished. The asian expansion is looking very nice but I guess they are (for now) concentrating on upgrading the main park and the Monkey islands. As Fota relays solely on gate receipts (good weather), they have limited funds for big projects and have to target areas of most need.
    The highlights of my wintry visit were the lakes with lots of exotic ducks and geese and the Red pandas in their nice new enclosures. I spent ages watching the 4 residents as they were extremely active and obviously enjoyed the bitterly cold north wind

Kifaru Bwana, ArboLowe and kiang like this.
  11. dublinlion

It was mentioned that they hope to have 1 or 2 Asian crane species on display this year. They are also doing well with Corncrake breeding for intended release.

Kifaru Bwana and ArboLowe like this.
  12. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They're Roloway Monkeys, rather than Dianas.

MagpieGoose likes this.
  13. dublinlion

Yes, definitely Roloways. Thanks Mike. These two species certainly look very alike.

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Because they are the same species, hence the name "Diana monkey" is correct for designate the roloway subspecies.

15. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Groves' 2005 split that recognises them as separate species has been widely accepted, including by the IUCN.

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I know, but why should I accept this change? Kuhn (1967), Napier (1981), Oates (1988 and 2011), Kingdon (1997), Sheila E. Curting (2002, in the book "The Guenons"), Grubb et al (2003), Gonedelé, Koffi, Bitty, Kassé, N’Guessan, Akpatou and Koné (2013), E Debra (2013) (and me (to the present)) considered both taxa to be subspecies of the same species, as well as WAZA (to the present) (while indicating that the taxonomy of this species is still unresolved), iNaturalist (to the present) and many other websites. IUCN in 2008 (after the Groves's spilt) still considered both as the same species. Altough Schreber in his original descritpion regarded roloway as a different species from the beginning, most authors always considered both as the same species, as it's logic to do just by looking at both and comparing with the other species of Cercopithecus. Just a slight difference in the shape and colour of the beard and eyebrow and other slight colour differences are not more remarkable than a difference of shape and colour between your beard (assuming that you have one...?) and my beard (when I'm not shaved...). The fact that these differences correspond precisely to different populations only means that they are different, but not necessarily different species.

17. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I never said you had to. I just felt that stating they are the same species when the situation is not as clear cut as that, and still somewhat unresolved, was slightly misleading.

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can you tell us where they came from and any relationship?

19. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The older female ('Sassandra') was born in Mulhouse, in 1999. She spent some years at Twycross, before returning to Mulhouse.
    The younger female was born in Heidelberg, in 2014, but spent some time in Duisburg before coming to Fota.

Kifaru Bwana and ArboLowe like this.
  20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thankyou for the information MikeG.