Join our zoo community

Fota Wildlife Park Fota Wildlife Park Visit 24/04/14

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by AthleticBinturong, 25 Apr 2014.

1. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yesterday I paid visit to Fota Wildlife Park.
    I arrived around 12:15 and headed straight for the meerkats and grey cheeked mangabeys.
    Then a female ostrich walking up and down by the wire and staring at everyone caught my attention so i walked over to the African Savannah exhibit and looked at the residents- rotschilds giraffe, common zebra, ostrich, scimator horned oryx and free ranged wallaby and mara.
    we continued walking past the cheetah run and a really natural multi species exhibit- european bison and red lechwe until a keeper informed us that the cheetah run was on in 5 minutes so we headed back down the path.
    The cheetah run is enrichment for the parks cheetahs in this case two males, the cheetahs run after a piece of chicken or rabbit on the end of a zipline.
    When the cheetah run finished we headed for a nearby bench to eat our picnic overlooking the African Savannah. while waiting for my mam and dad to go and get the picnic from the car (I am 13) I asked a keeper about the arrival of Sumantran Tigers, Asian Lions and Indian Rhinos she said tigers by the end of May possibly lions next year and rhinos soon after.
    after the picnic we headed back up the path past the bison and lechwe or bulls and reindeers as someone refered them as and to towards the oryx house in the paddock were emu and ostrich