Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Frala's Baby

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 19 May 2015.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good point, maybe higher ranking females (like Frala and Shinda) demonstrate this behaviour as a sign of confidence. The offspring of a lower ranking female may be at greater risk of injury by being grabbed by another gorilla (something they wouldn't attempt with the offspring of a higher ranking female).

I think I recall you mentioning Kriba's daughter, Joas (1989), does this with her offspring too, despite Kriba never doing it. Kriba, while middle to high ranking in Kibabu's troop, has always been a nervous individual and distrustful of Frala's adolsecent sons in particular.

2. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

There was a bit of worry at one stage with Mbeli attempting to take Fabumi away from Frala... but she still carried him on her back... one confident mama that Frala... lol!

T.

3. Zoofan15

Did you get the impression this was done with malicious intentions or was Mbeli only being curious/maternal?

I know Mbeli is the highest ranking female, and Frala then having a baby could have been seen as a threat to her status. On the other hand, I know Shinda at Prague Zoo often took Kijivu's babies off her out of curiousity/maternal interest, though in that situation, Shinda had no infant of her own, unlike Mbeli in this situation.

4. tdierikx

It was definitely dominance on Mbeli's part... from the moment Fabumi was born, Mbeli was posturing and passive dominantly letting Frala know that Mbeli was still number one wife in the group... I have photos of some of the posturing and dominance stances she employed.

Obviously they've all come through it unscathed - testament to how good a mother Frala is methinks.

T.

5. Zoofan15

Quite scary to think what could have happened it Mbeli had of got hold of Fabumi. Like you say, Frala's experience and mothering skills have no doubt contributed to his safety.

Do you think Mbeli would pose a threat to any offspring born to Johari (if indeed she ever breeds)?

You posted some great pictures on this thread of Mbeli posturing next to Frala and Fabumi, are these the ones you were referring to?

6. tdierikx

Those were the photos... Mbeli was trying to dominate Frala...

I think Frala would have defended her baby vigorously if Mbeli had actually managed to get hold of him... wouldn't have been pretty!

T.

7. Zoofan15

Frala is a fantastic mother, very supportive of her offspring, even when they are adolescents. Reminds me of Kuma.

Have you seen this old video of a conflict in the Taronga troop when Kibabu was the silverback?

Frala and Mbeli have put aside their differences to fight off bigger foe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obrUcxsCemM

-Kibabu (1977)
    -Frala (1981)
    -Mbeli (2003)
    -Fataki (2003)
    -Kimya (2005)
    -Fuzu (2007)

8. tdierikx

Poor Kibabu... he had his hands full with that Fataki... lol!

I'm tipping he initially attempted to discipline Fataki for some naughty thing he did... and Frala jumped in to defend her boy and redirected some of the discipline her own way...

T.

9. Zoofan15

The fight looks intense, especially when you consider Frala has an infant on toe, but it’s probably quite restrained considering the damage Kibabu could potentially do. The visitors are clearly alarmed though!

I understand he caused Mouila a lot of hassle too. Apparently he used to hit her and then when she was distracted by that, Frala would run in and give her a slap. Mahale would often try and engage Fataki in play to distract him.

I wonder if Mouila's sons, Haoko (1993) and Shabani (1996) were as problematic in the troop prior to their export approx. 2006.

10. tdierikx

Poor Kibabu... I bet he's enjoying his retirement... only has to share with Kriba and Kipenzi now.

And he's got his fave human working at his new home too...

T.

Hix likes this.