Join our zoo community

Zoo Frankfurt Frankfurt Zoo

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Zebraduiker, 8 Jul 2008.

1. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree with all of these points. The weather in Frankfurt was not any worse or more unstable than in other regions which did show similar decrease. And while some months may have indeed been less pleasant, looking at some isolated months is a rather easy strategy. Hence, this argument is always brought up by zoos (apparently the weather constantly gets worse every single year). Last but not least, large zoos with few buildings would be still more vulnerable for bad weather, but Hannover and Gelsenkirchen for instance actually had an increase.

Having said that, the numbers still seem ok in comparison to the number of inhabitants in Frankfurt.

2. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Sounds like conspiracy theory to me. The zoos lie and bring the "bad weather" argument when the number of visitors decreases, in order to achieve what exactly with that?

On average, 800,000 visitors a year is not a good result for a zoo like Frankfurt, especially when compared to much smaller zoos. Frankfurt has 730,000 inhabitants, 2.2 million in the metropolitan area and 5.7 million in the Rhine-Main area. There are also tourists. In 1970 the zoo had over 3 million visitors, with significantly fewer inhabitants, and even in the 1990s there were still over 2 million. And all without elephants and polar bears. The slump came in the mid-1990s when nothing happened in the zoo.

3. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Conspiracy is a big and somewhat ugly word. But do I think that zoos (or institutions and people in general) always speak the truth, the entire truth and nothing but the truth - even if the truth does not exactly flatter them? Well, let's say I would love that notion, but like Lintworm I rather go by what seems plausible, if I feel any doubt.

Why would Frankfurt "lie" or let's say present selective facts? Well, they are among the most heavily supported zoos in the country, just spent (rather too many) millions on a penguin enclosure and probably wouldn't enjoy discussing loads of questions and doubts about their strategy. They also made a rather controversial decision to shut down one of the ticket complexes recently, which seems to hinder the zoo from maximising numbers on some very good days (or so it has repeatedly been reported). But they prefer to celebrate some 9.000 online tickets rather than reflect on this point (which they are responsible for).

Don't get me wrong: I like Frankfurt Zoo and I don't necessarily think that they get everything wrong or should get their public funding cut. Like I said, the numbers still seem ok to me, regardless of historical comparisons. Some of their decisions may just need more time and effort to succeed. But sometimes there is not just black or white and I do think the administration goes for the easier and more comfortable strategy here (as do several zoos each year - sometimes the same zoo more than one of two years in a row)...

Last edited: 30 Jan 2020
    Kifaru Bwana and ShonenJake13 like this.
  4. Bib Fortuna

Conspiracy may be a bit of an exaggeration, but assuming it does is true if you claim that the zoos (generally, now not only referring to Frankfurt) use the "bad weather" argument to justify declining visitor numbers without substantiating this claim to be able to. However, you know as well as I do that all outdoor leisure facilities such as zoos etc. are completely dependent on the weather. Still, I'm surprised you know what the weather was like in Frankfurt in January, May, September and October 2019 - I don't know. But I googled in this regard and actually found a press release that reports how cold and wet May is ... unusually wet and cold. So the record numbe rof nearly 870.000 visitors was in 2018, when we had the Millenium Summer...witout any drop of rain. Surprisingly, because it was actually too hot for months to go to the zoo. So I do not agree with your "reason" why Frankfurt presents "selective facts". The city of Frankfurt is responsible for the cashier staff, not the zoo. The city closed the second zoo entrance for financial reasons, not the zoo.And the extraordinarily expensive penguin facility is another topic ...;)

5. Bib Fortuna

This could be of interest to anyone interested in zo history and night animal houses.

Fortunately, yesterday I received a preliminary draft from the year 1969 of the Grzimekhaus including the space and animal program, which is very interesting. Generally this Plan corresponds to the house as it was built from 1972, but still many changes have been made. For example, there were 10 outdoor enclosures for hardy animals from Europe, Asia and North America, which were never built.

Outdoorsection :

10 enclosures, which should be designed with rocks so that they completely hid the building. 5 of them should be cages to keep climbing animals in, three enclosures should be connected to an inner cage of the day department. Planned species : Red Fox, Wildcat, Striped skunk, Marten ( without specifying the species ), Stoat, marbled polecat , European hare, European rabbit, Red squirrel, Weasel, Hamster, Beaver, Badger and Manul.

Adaptation section in the entrance area.

Four enclosures were provided here so that visitors' eyes could get used to the dim light. Only three enclosures were built, one of them two-story.

Night section :

25 exhibits between sizes of 2 and 60 m2. Planned species : Aardvark, Giant Armadillo,Spring Hare, common brushtail possum, Kinkajou, Echidna, Tarsier, Potto, Night monkey, Hispaniolan solenodon, banded linsang, banded palm civet, Plains Vizcacha, Tamandua, ,Ringtailcat, Vampire, North American porcupine and the Yapok ( Water opossum)

Without specifying the species : Armadillo, Pangolin, Genet, Galago, Lori, Wombat, Cuscus, Tenrek, Bats, Jerboa, opossums, Mice and rats.

Day Section :

17 Exhibts between sizes of 2 and 60 m2. PLanned Species : Very interesting, they wanted to keep aardwolf, Fenenc fox, a species of Tree kangaroo and sloth in the day section. When the house was opened in 1978, all four speices were kept in the Night area, but were not very active anymore. Also Serval, Ocelot, Bushdog, Coati, Tayra, Giant otter, striped mangoose, Talapoin, White-face Saki, Accouchi, Blue Duiker , African water chevrotrain, dwarf fat-tailed jerboa mice, rats, hamsters , a species of elephant shrew and one species of Fishing rats ( (Ichthyomys ) were planned.

Well, not all species that Grizmek would have liked to have for the house could actually be purchased. Fortunately you have to say, because giant armadillos in a night animal house, or duiker? In the USA you have no problems with this until today, which unfortunately does not speak for the zoos there, but in Europe people thought of it a little more animal-friendly. However, I find it interesting that Grzimek planned with pangolins, because so far he has refused to keep them in zoos. I have a letter from Grzimek from the 1950s, which he wrote to a German animal dealer and refused to buy pangolin because they never survived in captivity for a longer time. Nothing had changed until 1969. The same applies to giant armadillos. The very thought of seeing these animals in a night animal house is absurd.

The opening was scheduled for 1974. The first animal species for the house were already purchased this year, but only a few of the originally planned species. When there were great difficulties with further construction in early 1975, all of these animals had to be returned. The opening had to be postponed three times, and then, when the house opened on September 1st, 1978, not all the enclosures were ready and occupied. That was only the case in 1983 ...

matzek, LegoOwl, AWP and 9 others like this.
  6. Bib Fortuna

7. Bib Fortuna

The zoo has finally got a new camel mare. Now 0.2 animals are living in Frankfurt. So "Hira" is no longer alone, because it only took 6 months to find a new Bactrian camel, as the zoo says in the press release: "Thanks to the close cooperation of the zoos, a new roommate for the 18-year-old HIRA was quickly found. " Well, Bactrian camels are much more difficult to get than giant pandas, so only 6 months are really good. :)There is no hope that there will be an Baby camel in Frankfurt again, :(because the zoo announces that it's exhibit for them is much too small for that.:mad: Fortunately, the enclosures for lions, kiwis, Tree kangaroos , marabou storks and all animals in the Grzimekhaus are not too small,;) so the zoo can breed these animals with a clear conscience ....:)

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On March 12 a Kiwi-chick hatched at Frankfurt. Because the parents are still quite unexperienced in incubating and raising chicks, the egg was given to a male with more experience and he did the job well :).

HungarianBison, Zorro, Neva and 3 others like this.
  9. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

An aardvark has bene born on 23 february to mother Ermine. The name of the youngster is Makeba.

Antoine, Kifaru Bwana and Jogy like this.
  10. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

A lot of babies have been born since April 1st. The first one being a male alpaca which was named Tuco who was born to female Jule and male Jonah, the second one born on April 5th is a round-eared sengi of unknown gender and three avocets were born two weeks ago. They have 6 avocet eggs in an incubator waiting them to hatch and female alpaca Vicky is pregnant.

11. Jungle Man

A new species for the zoo: Zebra Skink.

It arrived at the end of May and will live in the Giraffe House.

[​IMG]

On June 10th, alpaca Vicky gave birth to a male baby which has been named Narius.

[​IMG]

Three maras were born in early June.

There have been a baby-boom with the West Caucasian Tur with 4 boys and 2 females born during the lockdown. The babies are all sired by Shrek. The latest baby has been named Mino and was born to mother Kura.

[​IMG]

12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What's the scientific name for the skink?

13. Jungle Man

Two coloured skink or Trachylepis dichroma.

drill likes this.
  14. Bib Fortuna

Recently, the full concept study 2030 + was published- it is full of details, including maps, but only in german available.

It is NOT the Masterplan, what is still in the working and should be published in autumn.

https://www.stvv.frankfurt.de/parli...Q3GqGcwoAMaRrCs2G0QwygdShf85cMAxVP_GYX6qBDlaI

Well, knowing how expensive it is to build in Frankfurt even from such simple enclosures as for Humboldt penguins , I assume construction costs of 250-300 million euros-maybe more...

Unfortunately, the city of Frankfurt has a mountain of debt that is higher than Mount Everest - they will hardly pay for it from the postage account.Planning a little more modestly and coordinating future animal populations with the Opel Zoo would certainly make more sense for Frankfurt Zoo.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2020
  15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hope someone can help looking for a map of the collection in English Please?
    Hoping to visit shortly.

17. Bib Fortuna

Unfortunately there is no plan in English. The current plan is bilingual German / English, but not the legend for the enclosures. However, you can use the pictograms to see where which animals can be found. Until 2019 there was a plan on the website in English, only that is no longer available. Coincidentally, I downloaded it.

Or do you mean a list of the animal inventory in English? They do not exist because the zoo has never published a complete list of animals. So only the english version of Zootierliste will help.

18. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could you please add the map you downloaded on to here so I could have a look please?

19. Bib Fortuna

Sorry, I tried, but I have no Image URL for the picture, and I have no idea where I can get one for it. Send me a PN, and I send it by e-mail to you.

20. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zooplan - Zoo Frankfurt
    I used this address and translate, it gives some of the animals in English but isn't very complete