Join our zoo community

Burgers' Zoo free-ranging species in Burgers Bush, Desert and Mangrove

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by lintworm, 10 Mar 2015.

1. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Update: the Scarlet Ibis are also back into the bush!

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has a single male from Zurich.

Four males, from Avifauna :) a very new arrival, as they didn’t have any ibis at all a few months ago!

Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  3. PicanBird

They do have them behind the scenes I believe (scarlet)
    For the madagascar I have reasons to believe we are also getting two females soon

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@KevinVar and I also saw the seedfinches and hanging-parrots on our visit on the 17th - the seedfinches (at least one male, potentially two males) near the entrance and near the rice paddies, and both hanging-parrots near the nectar feeder in the dense area just underneath the roof.

We found a very good place for getting good views of passerines was a certain position in the small "side loop" of the area just underneath the roof: if you stand in the right spot you get a good top-down view of an entire slope with many perches and a table where the birds get fed. We saw a chestnut-backed thrush, 2 rose-bellied buntings (m+f), 2 Montserrat oriole and a white-rumped shama there, among the very numerous bulbuls, robin-chats and fairy-bluebirds (we counted 9 in the perches around that area at a certain point). White-eared catbird still remains most reliable around the waterfall area, screaming piha near the entrance and orange-crowned fruit dove near the hanging log bridge. Still haven't managed the leafbird, but I believe that and the honeycreepers are now the only birds I haven't seen in the bush - besides the crested ibises of course.

The mangrove seemed very quiet - we didn't see any grassquits (and I can't remember hearing them either, though I might be wrong). The indigo bunting was fairly easy (in the densely planted area), as were the new honeycreepers.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2019
  5. Lemur02

Lemur02 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is indeed a good spot, I saw Montserrat oriole, Rose-bellied bunting, Chestnut-backed thrush and Blue-crowned hanging parrot there.

Added to the main list.

The Yellow-legged honeycreepers in the Bush were very easy to see today, they were at the feeder next to the Caiman cave, around the viewing platform and in trees around the small loop described by @Vision above.

The White-eared catbirds are currently making a nest just below the viewing platform and this nest is easily visible from the stairs.

Kifaru Bwana and Vision like this.
  7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yesterday I did not manage to find any of the new additions in the Mangrove during a very short visit, but I had some more time in the Bush and managed to find a few less regularly seen species like the honeycreeper, oriole, rose-bellied bunting and catbird. I also found all the free-range reptiles bar the geckos.

8. lintworm

Some updates from my visit yesterday:

BUSH

No changes in the collection specieswise, but there is a second Madagascar crested ibis now.

Overall I managed to spot all but 5 bird species yesterday, missing the close to impossible White-eye, Leafbird and Laughing thrush. I also missed the Rose-bellied bunting and surprisingly also the Orange-fronted fruit doves. The catbird was again seen on the Bush terrace. The Chacalaca around the Desert entrance. The Madagascar crested ibis was first seen around the Livingstone bridge (oppposite Bush restaurant) and later in the small loop near the roof. I saw a seedcracker on the rice paddy and a female between the Waterfall tunnel and the Desert entrance. A tree has been felled near the view point, this used to be a Green imperial pigeon favourite, they were now hanging around the Bush terrace. I saw a hanging parrot next to the Leaf turtle pond. I also saw a Green iguana for the first time in years, it was feeding at the viewpoint.

DESERT

Rose-bellied buntings have been released in the Desert, presumably surplus stock from the Bush, where they are breeding quite well.

MANGROVE

Four-eyed fish are back in the small stream right after the bridge. Red-eared slider and Fulvous whistling duck are currently behind the scenes.

The Striped basilisk tend to hang out around the small stream and we saw both there. No anoles or geckoes and apparently the geckoes haven't been seen by anybody yet :p. I also saw a Tropical gar, which I had missed until now, it was hidden below the small wooden bridge from where the Manatee are fed.

Kifaru Bwana and ShonenJake13 like this.
  9. PicanBird

Bush:
    Glad to hear the hanging parrots have found a somewhat territory in that area. Makes it easier for me to find them (as I still have not spotted them, eventhough I am almost daily around there)

Desert:
    The rose-bellied bunting were indeed surplus + some extra from avifauna.

Mangrove:
    The ducks were moved because they kept destroying the holes for the crabs and stepped on some upside-down jellies.
    Both alligator gars can be spotted under that wooden deck.
    The geckos are indeed 'lost' in the Mangrove. Hopefully they thrive in an unknown location!

10. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which pool exactly is the leaf turtle pond in the Bush? Because I cannot remember leaf turtles from my visit last fall.

11. lintworm

That is the slightly hidden pond next to the entrance to the Giraffe stables. The turtles are unsigned and can be tricky to see as it is a rather dark spot.

KevinB likes this.
  12. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you, I need to look better and check for that one next time I'm at Burgers.

Normally we were going today but we decided to postpone because of the heat.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  13. lintworm

As many people still struggle to find certain species in the Bush, I have compiled the following list of where every species is most likely to be found, based on my own experience as well as information in this thread.

Map of the bush (based on a map originally by Burgers' Zoo and then modified by first Lisanne de Boer (Van Hall Larenstein) and me):
    [​IMG]

Legend
    1-26 Path numbers
    B bird house, this is where the signage is located
    F Feeding stations
    O Observation platform
    R Rice paddy
    T Turtle enclosure

"Toegang" = entrance
    "Avonturenpad" = adventure trail

MAMMALS

Rodriquez fruit bat

Encounter rate: high
    Similar species: Lyles' fruit bat

Single animals can be found in hanging in all vegetation from approx. 2 meters high to the canopy. Can be seen flying during the day as well, being most active in the early morning and late afternoon.

Lyles' fruit bat looks similar, but is larger, more golden brown and has a more pointed nose.

Lyles' fruit bat
    Encounter rate: low
    Similar species: Rodriquez fruit bat

A few old individuals remain. They are seen mostly higher up in trees than the Rodriquez fruit bats and are most often seen in the area around the Bush restaurant terrace

Rodriquez fruit bat look similar but are distinctly smaller, darker brown with a more stump nose.

Seba's short-tailed bat
    Encounter rate: very low
    Similar species: none

A large bachelor group roosts in an artifical cave that cannot be seen by visitors. The only chance of seeing this species in the Bush is during the Pasar Malam event in December-January when the Bush is open in the night time.

BIRDS

Red-shouldered teal
    Encounter rate: very high

Currently the only duck species in the Bush. The animals are basically always present in the Capybara enclosure. If not they are likely around the Turtle enclosure or in the stream between the Turtle enclosure and the Bush restaurant

Chaco chacalaca

An unmistakeable species that can be tricky to spot. This species is most easily seen in the early morning when it often hangs around the Desert tunnel, Aardvark enclosure or path 9. During the day often hidden in vegetation, but it is worth checking the feeding stations next to path 6 & 8 and beneath the jeep. When calling they are easily located.

Crested wood partridge
    Encounter rate: medium - high

Unmistakeable small partridge that can be found in many places in the bush. These birds often stick to the vegetation, but are often seen around path 3,4,5, 6, around the bird house and in or around the Aardvark enclosure. Individuals can turn up anywhere.

Madagascar crested ibis
    Encounter rate: medium

A mostly terrestrial ibis that can be tricky to find. Recently both birds have often been seen at the turtle enclosure. Otherwise individuals can be found walking on any of the visitor paths, but it is also worth scanning the undergrowth around path 6 and the Turtle enclosure.

Scarlet ibis

The only big red birds in the Bush. They are most often found in the trees between the Turtle pond and Bush terrace along the small stream. They can also be expected at the Rice paddies and around the Capybara enclosure

Sun bittern

A species that can sometimes be tricky to find. It is most often seen around the Capybara enclosure, especially on the fake fallen tree. Other spots are path 20 and the Turtle enclosure.

Victoria crowned pigeon

An unmistakeable large blue pigeon. An individual can often be found on a nest at the bridge at 22b. Often seen on the bush terrace and around the Turtle enclosure as well. They can turn up anywhere though.

Green naped pheasant pigeon

This terrestrial pigeon can be hard to find on some days. The best chance is checking the Bush terrace or along paths 6, 9, 10, 22, 23, but can turn up anywhere.

Pinon imperial pigeon

Similar species: Green imperial pigeon

A large pigeon that sticks to the canopy and can therefore be tricky to spot. Birds tend to be reliably seen in the canopy around paths 22a, 23, 24, 25 and around the bush terrace.

Larger and greyer, rather than greenish, than Green imperial pigeon, with a clear red ring around the eye. It also lacks the reddish neck of Green imperial pigeon.

Green imperial pigeon
    Similar species: Pinon imperial pigeon

These pigeons stick to the canopy, but can be reliably seen in the trees around the observation platform and are also often seen around the Bush terrace. The highly distinctive call is also an easy way to find them.

Smaller and with a distinct greenish back compared to Pinon imperial pigeon, also lacks red eye ring but has a reddish neck.

Luzon bleeding heart pigeon

A terrestrial pigeon that can be seen walking around practically anywhere. It is particularly common around paths 1,3, 6, 10, 23, but can be seen everywhere

Green winged pigeon

By far the most common pigeon that cannot be missed.

Nicobar pigeon

A common pigeon that can be seen on the ground as well as in trees, common everywhere, but especially easily seen around the Otter enclosure and the Bush terrace.

Orange-fronted fruit dove

An arboreal pigeon that is not very easily seen. It is most often observed around the entrance to the Zebra stables, path 15, 16, 17 and on parh 9.

Blue-crowned hanging parrot

Currently the only parrot in the Bush. This small species is easy to miss, but it is worth checking the feeding station at path 6, and paths 24 and 25a but can be expected anywhere... The flight is distinctively straight and fast and in flight the birds are often noisy.

Red-crested turaco

Despite the fact there is not a very high number of Turaco around they are quite reliably seen. The best areas include the Bush terrace and paths 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 22, 23

Speckled mousebird

A distinctve brown bird that is easily seen, especially around 3, 5, 6, 26 and the Bush terrace.

White-eared catbird

A rather localized bird which is almost exclusively seen in the area ranging from the observation platform to the Bush terrace and the Capybara enclosure. Especially the feeding station next to the Bird house is a good spot.

White rumped shama
    Similar species: Montserrat oriole

A songbird that can be hard to find, though there tend to be some animals around paths 22b, 23 and 24.

Male Monterrat oriole are similar in colouration, but lack the white rump and have a much thicker bill.

Snowy-crowned robin chat

The second most common bird in the Bush and is present everywhere.

Chestnut-backed ground trush

A rather uncommon bird, which is often seen around the stairs leading to the observation platform. Individuals can pop up anywhere, but can be expected around path 3, 5, 6, 23

Fairy bluebird
    Similar species: Screaming piha

Birds are commonly seen throughout the Bush.

Female Fairy bluebirds can at a distance be mistaken for Screaming piha, but on closer inspection are bluish, not greyish, and slightly smaller.

Golden-fronted leafbird

Only one female is kept and she is very hard to see, as she mostly sticks to the canopy. The best chance is trying from the observation platform, where she is sometimes sitting in the roof structure. Otherwise the trees around the Otter enclosure and close to the Jeep are worth checking.

Blue-crowned laughing thrush

Currently only one individual is present, which often associates with the ubiquitoes Red-whiskered bulbul. The best chance of seeing this bird is around the patches of Bamboo along path 23 and 25.

Red-rumped cacique

A small group is kept, but this bird cannot be missed around its nesting tree at the Bush terrace. Foraging birds are very noisy and often around the area with the Rice paddy and Otters.

Montserrat oriole
    Similar species: White-rumped shama

A species that has become more easy to see recently due to breeding results in 2018 and 2019. It is most often seen around paths 23 and 24. But the feeding station next to the Bird house and the Capybara bridge are also good spots.

Screaming piha
    Similar species: Fairy bluebird

A secretive bird, sitting motionless in trees, that can be fairly reliably seen by locating its loud call. There are multiple calling males which often hang around paths 1, 4, 24, 25a. Birds also occasionally pop up throughout the bush, most notably around path 9, 22a.

This species can from a distance be confused with female Fairy bluebird, but is clearly grey, not bluish, and slightly larger.

Purple honeycreeper

A small species that often sticks to the canopy, but regularly descends lower. These birds are very active and can pop up anywhere. Good places include the feeding stations at paths 6 and 14. Also regularly seen around path 24 and 25

Madagascar red fody

Similar species: House sparrow, Brazilian tanager

This bird is less ubiquitous then before, but still common, especially around the Bush terrace and paths 1, 5, 6, 8, 23, 24, 25

Females and non-breeding males can be confused with House sparrows, but are smaller, have a more buffy ground color and a smaller bill. The only other smaller red bird is the male Brazilian tanager which is larger, has a clear white patch on a larger bill and a uniform black back.

Brazilian tanager
    Similar species: Madagascar red fody

A pair of this species is kept and is almost exclusively found around paths 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 23

Chestnut-bellied seedfinch
    Similar species: Rose-bellied bunting

A small passerine that is most easily seen around the Rice paddy, especially when seeds are present. It can also be sometimes seen at path 25b and between the waterfall and the Desert tunnel.

Female Seedfinches look similar to female Rose-bellied bunting, but are smaller, with a heavier bill and lack the white eye-ring.

Red-whiskered bulbul

The most common bird in the Bush and it is ubiquitous anywhere. It is especially common around path 26 where many nests are located.

Blue-backed grassquit

A small passerine that mostly sticks to the areas close to the roof and is often seen in the roof structure around paths 3, 4, 5, 7.

Rose-bellied bunting
    Encounter rate: low-medium
    Similar species: Black-bellied seedfinch

An increasingly common species that is now relatively often found, especially around path 6, 8, 9 but also at path 26. The feeding station at path 6 is especially good. Individuals can turn up anywhere though.

White eye spec.

A small bird that mostly sticks to higher levels of the vegetation. Only a few individuals remain. Best chance may be around path 6, 23, 24, 25

REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS

Green iguana

An increasingly hard to find reptile. It used to be fairly reliable around path 5, especially on the rocky outcrop there. It might still be found around paths 4, 5, 7, 8, especially on the sandy stretches next to the roof, as well as around the observation platform.

Guadeloupe anole

A small lizard that is present throughout the Bush, but reliably seen in the vegetation around the Red-footed tortoise enclosure, on the Observation deck, around the feeding station at path 14 and around path 4.

Plumed basilisk

This species is restricted to the netted area around the Caiman enclosure. Good spots are the stream between the tortoise and Caiman enclosure, the beaches in the Caiman enclosures, as well as carefully scanning the trees in that area.

Common house gecko

Nocturnal and thus practically impossible to find.

Montserrat whistling frog

A very common frog, but because of its nocturnal habits it is practically impossible to see one. Its whistles might be heard during the Pasar Malam when the zoo is open during darkness.

Spotted running frog

A nocturnal frog that is practically impossible to see.

Location of several unsigned reptiles and fish

Capybara & former Manatee enclosure
    Yellow-spotted Amazon river turtle
    Pirapitanga
    Tambaqui
    Zebra cichlid
    Guppy
    Redtail catfish

Caiman enclosure
    Occelated stingray
    Plecostomus spec.
    Zebra cichlid
    Guppy

Turtle enclosure
    Asian leaf turtle

Ponds around Livingstone bridge (22b)
    African lungfish
    Nile tilapia
    Labeobarbus intermedius

Last edited: 29 Jul 2019
  14. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What happened to the other laughingthrushes? Did they not adapt well to the Bush?

15. lintworm

I was just informed only 1 is currently left (I saw her last Sunday). What happened to the other 4 females I don't know...

16. lintworm

I have updated the location list based on recent visits. Especially the Madagascar crested ibis have been hanging around the turtle enclosure a lot and in this area is also where the Parrots are found a lot, as well as path 6. Even the Red-shouldered teals have made an excursion to the Turtle enclosure...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. PicanBird

The red-shouldered teals also seem to be exploring the restaurant terrance more often

18. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Blue honeycreeper and the lyles flying fox aren’t in the bush anymore. But they are still in the list, this should be removed.

19. lintworm

What is your source? Both species were still present in August, in the case of the honeycreeper a larger number of them.

20. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry I meant Red-legged honeycreeper. The lyles flying fox is already gone since the start ot this year, this was mentioned on zoochat (this thread) and also on other zooforums