Join our zoo community

Freeze-drying your pets: creepy, kooky, or cool?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by DavidBrown, 13 Jan 2012.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting article in the New York Times about the family of taxidermists in the new Animal Planet show "American Stuffers". The focus of the article is their business of freeze-dry taxidermy of peoples' pets. This strikes me as supremely creepy, but obviously some people find comfort in it.

The article includes a photo of a departed Pomeranian now on permanent display. There is also a video clip of the main taxidermist showing the newly restored pet raccoon "Chatters" to her owner.

Has anybody watched this show? I don't get Animal Planet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/g...-freeze-dried-pets.html?ref=realitytelevision

2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

It is not something that I would want done to any of my pets but I don't have a problem with other people doing it. The bloke who does it is obviously very good at what he does as well. The Pomeranian looks fantastic.

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

You think a Pomeranian is odd..(from Wikipedia on Jeremy Bentham, the English philosopher (1748-1832)

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I read an article a while ago that related to human funerals and one of the new trends was for the body to be freeze dried, then shaken violently. It then turns to dust and can be scattered like ashes are. -I hope it wasn't an April fool trick as it sounded a good Idea.-

I wonder if the guy freeze drying the pets tells them not to drop them or knock them about , imagine gluing a leg back on to a persian cat! it would be a nightmare trying to keep the glue of the fur:eek: