Join our zoo community

French zoo trip

Discussion in 'France' started by Rayane, 25 Sep 2018.

1. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi !

Working on a smalll zoo trip in the Tours area in France.
    I have 3ish days, one is for Doué, one for Beauval. I am still trying to decide what last zoo(s) should I visit next. The weekend would be for Doué and Beauval, but I'll still have a little time on monday to visit at least one zoo.
    Spaycific Zoo and Réserve Zoologique de la Haute Touche are on top of my lists for good reasons, but maybe you guys know about some nice zoos in the area that I've never heard of ?

Also, how long did it take you guys to visit both Spaycific and RL de la Haute Touche ?

Thanks !

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I recently undertook a zoo trip to the same area.

Beauval and Doué are indeed excellent and fascinating and must-sees in that area.

Haute-Touche is quite big in area, but if you only have time for one more zoo/zoo day in the area I would say that should be the one. Lovely site and many, many lovely ungulates. We spent the whole day there but we did a large part of the zoo twice in that time and had a proper sit-down lunch - and we didn't rent bicycles, which are available to speed up the zooing if needed! The paths are quite well-placed so that the walking is much less than the size of the site would suggest.

Spaycific is a half-day zoo really, though you probably could spin it out longer - it's a curious little zoo with some interesting species, a couple of quite nice, low-budget enclosures and a lot of very ordinary low-budget enclosures. We combined it with the zoo at Domaine de Pescheray, which made a nice day - but I wouldn't have dropped Haute-Touche for it!

3. Rayane

Do you think Haute-Touche and Spaycific could be both visited on the same day ?

4. Maguari

Sadly I think they're probably just too far apart for that - you'd lose more than two hours of your zoo time to the drive between them, which would leave you having to rush Haute-Touche severely to get round, or having to just do part of it.

5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

If it's any help, Spaycific is open until 1900 at weekends (unless I missed something on the website).

Maguari likes this.
  6. Maguari

That's interesting - ought to be possible to double-up with Doué if that's the case and @Rayane doesn't mind a long day!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Definitely, as Doué opens at 0900 (?)

Maguari likes this.
  8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Alternatively if you are monkey mad, the Vallee des Singes in Romagne is not too far away ;)

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  9. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member 5+ year member

you can easily travel from Beauval to La Haute Touch (1 hour), and then while continuing on your way to Doué visit La Vallée des Singes. Spay is further away, and not of much interest unless you go there for a specific reason (species).

10. Rayane

Coming from Geneva, la Vallée des Singes is a bit off track unfortunately. Will be leaving on a Friday night, sleeping somewhere in between Geneva and Saint-Aignan. Will visit Beauval on Saturday.
    Sunday is for Doué and Monday for Haute-Touche as I just rechecked the Spaycific's ZTL. They have a few rarities, I'll give it a try on Sunday maybe.
    Need to be in Lyon by 7pm on Monday as well.

Maguari likes this.