Join our zoo community

Fresno Zoo and Monterey Aquarium: Worth It?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 11 Mar 2019.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Need some advice. I'm going up to Central California this week on a camping trip and two places that I'm considering visiting as stops are Fresno Chaffee Zoo and Monterey Bay Aquarium. I haven't decided that I'm going to either one (I actually wasn't planning on visiting either until today), but now I'm weighing pros and cons.

Fresno Chaffee Zoo is $13 plus maybe $5 in parking, and it has enough to see for that to be worth the price. However, it's well out of the way from every other place I'm considering, so it would change the dynamic of my trip somewhat and I don't know if the collection is good enough to warrant that.

Monterey Bay Aquarium is, from what I've read (and been told), one of the best or even the best aquarium in the United States or possibly in the world. The downside: admission would be $40, not including parking wherever I end up finding it. That's pretty steep, and from what I've seen of the place I can't really tell if I want to visit for that much. Maybe there's an appeal to it that I'm not understanding, but in any case I'm generally less interested in aquariums than zoos so the high praise hasn't fully convinced me.

Can anyone who has visited give a good overview of cool things to see or particularly interesting/rare animals at either one? I'm not very familiar with either collection, and specific things to see or experience would be what convinces me to go or not go.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Fresno Zoo: currently some of the zoo is under construction for their new Asia area, but most of the zoo should be open. The Africa area is world class. Multi-species savanna with white rhinos and antelope. Elephants. Lions. Giraffes. Cheetahs. Superb sea lion exhibit - a master class in zoo design. Decent reptile house. The rest of the zoo is a work in progress. Large South American walk-through aviary with a small tropical house with sloth, tamarins, sting ray, etc. attached. Good orangutan-siamang exhibit. Indian rhinos in old elephant exhibit. I think the tiger exhibit is closed while they build a new one (?). Medium-sized zoo. Would take you maybe 2 hours to see it. Do you have an LA Zoo or other AZA zoo membership? That would give you half-off admission.

Monterey Aquarium: Where to begin? It's right on Monterey Bay. You can go to the back deck and see wild sea otters, harbor seals, common murres, cormorants, sea lions, sometimes grey whales (also at the nearby Point Lobos). The kelp forest tank is a classic of zoo design. The main exhibits are a tour through the ecosystems of Monterey Bay. Many invertebrates and fish species endemic to Monterey superbly exhibited and interpreted.

The outer bay tank was once the largest tank in the world - sharks, sun fish, schools of anchovies, sea turtles. Sea otter exhibit is superb. Talks and deep sea media presentation are superb. Laysan albatross. Yes, it is expensive. If you have limited time and are worried about expense then maybe skip it and go back someday to do Monterey, Big Sur, and Point Lobos together.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@DavidBrown has given a perfect summary. I have visited both facilities as well, Fresno Zoo a couple times and Monterey Bay for the first time last summer. I would say Fresno Chaffee Zoo is definitely worth it if you are into zoos. The African savanna is stunning and (as David said) the sea lion exhibit is an attraction in itself - probably the best I have seen anywhere.

If you do go there, do you have time to head up the hill to the adjoining Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks? This is without a doubt one of my favorite places on earth (and I have been to over 20 states and half a dozen countries). The peace and beauty of walking among the largest trees on earth cannot be described in words. Mule deer are a certainty and if you go to the large meadow in Sequoia (I forget the name) there is a good chance for black bear.

On Kings Canyon Highway, on the way to the entrance of Kings Canyon National Park, you will pass Project Survival's Cat Haven, another personal favorite. They have a stronger commitment to conservation than just about any zoological facility I know. They also have an outstanding cat collection, including one of only three USA facilities with jaguarundi. You will be taken on a guided tour, but no appointments are necessary - just show up at the beautiful entry lodge and enjoy the bobcat habitat and overlook into tiger habitat while you wait a few minutes for the next tour.

Monterey Bay Aquarium is interesting, but perhaps (at the risk of incurring the wrath of ZooChatters everywhere) a bit overrated? It is most definitely NOT the best aquarium in the world, probably not even in USA, but it is one of the best. What surprised me is the small number of exhibits. Where it shines is the focus on local landscape (with the notable exception of African penguins -why are they here?) and a commitment to conservation. The historic building (former sardine cannery) is itself interesting and as David said the location is unbeatable. The neighboring area (Cannery Row) is also fun. If you have the time and are in the area it's worth it, but if not don't feel bad about skipping it.

BenFoxster and snowleopard like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Thanks for the response @Arizona Docent. I unfortunately don't see having time to hit Kings Canyon/Sequoia, although fortunately I already visited Sequioa last year and you're right about how peaceful and beautiful it is... and the mule deer. My main trip is going to Pinnacles NP to look for condors, so besides Fresno (if I go) everything I'm doing is on the coastal side of the Central Valley. I'd love to go back someday, but I'm trying to prioritize places I haven't been yet.

As for the aquarium, I feel as though I might be inclined to agree with you. I don't want to downplay the significance of how much people who have gone rave about it and I can definitely see the appeal of many things there, but at the end of the day it does have few exhibits, and a lot of the coastal animals that can be seen outside the aquarium can also be seen elsewhere on the coast closer to where I live. If I end up in Monterey for any decent amount of time I'll definitely visit, but for someone like me who is on a budget and a tight schedule this might not be the trip for it.

BenFoxster and StoppableSan like this.
  5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The penguins, sea dragons, and other tropical organisms in that gallery are in a gallery themed for kids to learn about other organisms and oceans in the world.

Reasonable people can disagree that the Monterey Aquarium is not the best aquarium in the world (although they are WRONG:)).

reduakari, Hipporex and Coelacanth18 like this.
  6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Haven’t been to Fresno, unfortunately- missed out on that due to time constraints on both my visits to California. However, I have been to MBA, and I walked away from it pretty conflicted. It definitely was disappointing in that it didn’t live up to expectations: I finished the aquarium pretty quickly, to the point I thought “that’s it?”. Open Ocean in particular was pretty bland- the sardine ball was cool, and I enjoyed the hammerheads, but it failed to have the “wow” factor that it tried to. Most of the exhibits were very good but not necessarily very extensive, and many of the species that made the aquarium notable were no longer present (the only two were Laysan albatross and the skilfish, which is now gone). The Kelp Forest tank was definitely the best exhibit in the aquarium and it’s up there with the best exhibits I’ve ever seen.

So although I enjoyed MBA, I didn’t feel it lived up to expectarions and even three years later I’m not sure if I’d consider it the best aquarium in the US or not. If you’re on the fence about it already, I’d save it for a later time.

Arizona Docent and Coelacanth18 like this.
  7. Coelacanth18

@DavidBrown Have you been to either Shedd or Georgia Aquariums? Those are the two others in North America that are often cited as the best aquariums, so I'm curious to know how you feel about them in comparison to Monterey.

I know a little bit about their conservation work and I definitely think they are one of the best for that reason alone. My university follows their Seafood Watch List (honestly a great example of public outreach and education in conservation, IMO) and only sells seafood products that are Best Catch. Makes it easy for me to grab sushi or poke without having to ask a million questions.

@jayjds2 Do you know if they still have mola mola? I remember that being a species that would be interesting to see, as well as several cephalopods that were there (I think that was a temporary exhibit though).

BenFoxster likes this.
  8. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I do believe they still have mola mola on display. Also, you should definitely go to both places.

Hipporex and Coelacanth18 like this.
  9. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Monterey Bay Aquarium - to paraphrase CGSwans - is near perfect in being what it intends to be. If you visit expecting the best aquarium in the world you will likely be disappointed. If you visit unassumingly, you may likely leave having visited your best aquarium in the world. Monterey scores not through the largest tank or longest tunnel, but through extremely well thought-out design both regarding attention to detail and attention to the larger whole. Many of its tanks are beautifully naturalistic and are in effect directly connected to the Monterey Bay ecosystem outside (the aquarium afaik uses the actual ocean water, including ofc living plankton). Finally, considering that Monterey's distinctive strength arguably isn't superlatives, it has also got some pretty impressive exhibits.

10. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've never been to the Fresno Zoo, but as someone that goes to MBA at least once every other year I have to recommend it. It is by far the best aquarium I've ever been to and, in my opinion, literally the only downside is that everything is so freaking expensive. I recommend going onto the patio and spotting some wild marine mammals (including otters, seals, sea lions, and perhaps even cetaceans). And yes the aquarium does currently have an ocean sunfish in the Open Seas tank. However the temporary cephalopod exhibit Tentacles has now been closed. However the aquarium still has other cephalopods (two giant Pacific octopuses and a red octopus) in other parts of the aquarium. I should also mention I believe it is one of the only places in the world where you can see captive albatrosses. Two rescued individuals live bts but come on display once a day for a presentation.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2019
  11. Coelacanth18

I've heard that it is great for marine life watching and that (along with the sunfish) is another draw. However, I already have plans to visit a reliable sea otter location further south (along with elephant seals), while seals and sea lions are very easy to find anywhere on the coast. I've actually seen whales and dolphins off the coast in Southern California several times and anticipate doing so specifically in a couple of weeks. The biggest draw for me would be cool seabirds, but I don't think there's anything unique enough there either.

As for cephalopods, all of them are cool but those species in particular are common in aquariums and I have seen them both before.

BenFoxster likes this.
  12. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fair point. Truth be told, a lot of the species seen at this aquarium can be seen quite commonly elsewhere. The real draw I feel is the large and naturalist exhibits. I hope that whichever you chose, you get to do the other someday and have a good time.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Well, @DavidBrown has already done a terrific job of summarizing two of the best zoological facilities in California. I visited Fresno Chaffee Zoo in 2011 and was quite disappointed, but with the addition of Sea Lion Cove, African Adventure and Roo Walkabout (plus some smaller areas) the zoo basically doubled in size by the time I revisited in 2017. The African zone is world-class and I was lucky enough to have a behind-the-scenes tour with @Arizona Docent. Sea Lion Cove is up there with the one in St. Louis as the best zoo exhibit for pinnipeds in the country. The Reptile House is enjoyable and even though there are a few mediocre zones...this is clearly a zoo going places and it is a must-see facility.

As for Monterey Bay Aquarium, it is a magnificent establishment although like all major aquariums it is expensive to enter. There was mention of a $40 admission fee but that is for students...it is actually $50 for adults and I'm guessing that nearby parking is at least $20 as well. That is $70 U.S. right off the bat, which translates into $100 Canadian and so I fully admit that the place is massively expensive. I've visited exactly 90 different aquariums and Monterey Bay is part of the BIG THREE that also includes Shedd and Georgia in the United States. Everyone has their preferences but my personal favourite over the years has always been Shedd. Georgia might soon be #1 because their 'expansion 2020' looks to be amazing and those whale sharks are already a huge draw. That puts Monterey Bay into 3rd place but that is still incredible because there are 160 public aquariums in America and Monterey Bay is worth the money in my opinion. I visited in 2006, 2008 and 2011...and I just missed seeing Great White Sharks on all three occasions!

BenFoxster likes this.
  14. Coelacanth18

Since I'm a student, the $40 admission fee applies to me which is why I cited that amount. I didn't know what the parking situation is in the area, but if I have to pay $20 for parking that would not be ideal at all. I'm fortunate that I can find most parking in LA for $10 max and often free, but parking in or near the Bay Area can be exorbitant.

15. Arizona Docent

I will point out that every single zoo and aquarium in Arizona has free parking! :p

It sounds like you are not doing Monterey Bay this trip. Whenever you do go (and anyone reading this) I do have one word of advice. At the ticket window and website they only sell single day tickets. But if you stay at a nearby hotel (as I did) you qualify to buy a two day ticket for the same price as a single day. Plus you can leave your car at the hotel and walk (though area hotels often charge extra for parking).

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Two more things:

- California is an extremely expensive state in terms of paying for parking and on my Snowleopard 2017 Road Trip I ended up spending exactly $111 U.S. ($150 Canadian) just on parking during my two-week trek. Of all the zoo summer vacations that I've had over the years, that one was by far and away the highest dollar amount simply on parking my vehicle. It seems that everyone charges in California.

- If you are a big fan of birds, it is worth pointing out that Monterey Bay Aquarium has a couple of female Laysan Albatrosses and nowhere else in the world has that species in captivity. Also, a recent female rescue bird is a Pacific Red-footed Booby (Sula sula rubripes) and I'm not sure if anywhere else on the planet has one in captivity.

BenFoxster likes this.
  17. Arizona Docent

See the first sentence in post 15 above :p:p:p

18. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Hopefully you didn't end up paying twenty bucks for parking. The Downtown East garage is $7/day. It's not as convenient as the Cannery Row lots, but it isn't that far from the aquarium.

BenFoxster, StoppableSan and Hipporex like this.
  19. Coelacanth18

I actually didn't pay for any parking at all! I went up to visit Monterey but I skipped the aquarium due to time and cost. I was able to park along the street for free, there were ample spaces, and it was good for up to 2 hours.

BenFoxster and Arizona Docent like this.