Join our zoo community

fruit eating butterflies lifespan

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by yousuf89, 30 Apr 2016.

1. yousuf89

yousuf89 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most butterflies can live around few weeks or less
    But some like the Heliconius butterflies can live for 4 to 6 months in captivity due to their feeding on pollen
    However I've heard that some butterflies that feed mainly on fruit lives longer than the one that feeds mainly on nectar

Which fruit-eating butterflies has a long lifespan (like 3 month or more)?

2. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not aware of any of the fruit feeding butterflies at the Bristol Zoo butterfly house living 3 months, but the Morpho and Caligo species can easily live a month. The Euploea species that breeds in the house also seem to be long lived, as do the Idea butterflies.

3. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Caligo spp. live more than 2 months but become damaged over time due to their active and careless flight. If not kept in right humidity, they tend to die earlier (as the other tropical species).
    Butterfly species from temperate regions have the highest longevity as adult, up to almost 1 year (namely Brimstone).

4. yousuf89

Morpho lasts for about 115 days from egg to butterfly and live for two or three weeks as adults

Caligo last for 125-133 days from egg to butterfly and live for 21 days as adults

The butterfly of temperate live long is because some migrate and those in captivity doesn't live long

Guess the only butterfly that live long is Heliconius (can around 6 month)

I prefer that zoos will mainly keep Heliconius butterlflies

I mean what's the point of keeping butterflies that won't last long (unless they breed them)
    that will be a waste of money

5. yousuf89

long-live butterflies in captivity?

I heard that butterflies that are kept at captivity (zoo, aquarium, museums...etc) lives longer by feeding them on fruit or anything with amino acid

is it true?

and also according to this link
    https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/exhibits/always-on-display/butterfly-rainforest/butterfly-qa/

" Some species of butterflies modify their nectar diet to include rotten fruit, pollen and animal excrement, and can live as long as 3 to 6 months, or even longer. The modified diet provides the butterflies with valuable amino acids that can help prolong life span"

is this also true?