Join our zoo community

FunkyGibbon is.....Big in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by FunkyGibbon, 12 Jan 2019.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Terrible, just puer awfulness! Other than that the thread is still going great, I agree with @Vision that the mini-reviews are a brilliant way to do this on the move! :)

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
    nczoofan and Vision like this.
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Took me a while but I got there eventually :p

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How can we delete someone else's post?

Thankfully the rest of the thread makes up for it. Keep up these reviews, they have been quite enjoyable reads. :) Also can we expect any photos coming soon?

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

...you make a gibbon go mad.

~Thylo

5. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It took me 8 hours to figure this out....now I wish I never tried.

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Just to give a little bit of a teaser, this thread is still missing one final review and then a round-up post as well, both of which are hopefully coming soon :p

7. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With your history of starting threads and not ending them, I’m not holding my breath :p

Still waiting on that bilou thing to end :cool:

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  8. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did you see the Japanese water shrew or get photos? They unfortunately didn't have any when I was there in May of 2018.

9. FunkyGibbon

I have bad photos :D

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Haha, I've felt this same struggle. While I loved the Mole House and it's unique way of exhibiting moles (basically guaranteeing visitors some view of active moles) it was exceedingly difficult to photograph within. Any luck with any of the other species in there?

11. FunkyGibbon

I saw both moles species and one of the shrew species, although for my sins I really can't remember which.
    EDIT: it was the one displayed on the right, if that helps.
    FURTHER EDIT: it was the least shrew

Last edited: 15 Oct 2019
  12. FunkyGibbon

Sunshine Aquarium - 22nd January 2019

'Ain't no Sunshine when he gone'

I wasn't going to visit Sunshine Aquarium because I had heard such bad things about the pinniped exhibits. However, when I decided not to do my side trip that included Hakoneen Aquarium and its Baikal seals Sunshine was back on the menu. This was my last full day in Japan and luckily the aquarium didn't disappoint. Too much.

We might as well get the bad stuff out of the way. The pinniped exhibits are really poor. Poor enough to tarnish the whole place really. The Baikal seal pool is just tiny and I suspect its inhabitants are quite obese. There is also an outdoor set-up for Californian sealions. Whilst this is innovative, consisting of several parts including an overhead Perspex ring tank, in its totality it is still far less tank space than these large predators deserve.

Apart from this the aquarium is mostly rather good. There are pleasing oddities, but with much of the signage being Japanese-only and the tanks being neon lit (tricky for camera phone photography) I will probably never know what most of them were. I do remember a good variety of cuttlefish and squid species, and I think I'm right in saying I've never seen a single one outside of Japan.

Sunshine Aquarium was to some extent a microcosm of my entire trip. Quirky presentation, the occasional stunningly beautiful exhibit, some eye-popping rarities, mind-bindingly innovative enclosures and then round the corner just an awful hellhole that makes you really question your entrance fee and how you're spending it. And of course, the giftshop puts its Western equivalents to shame. Whilst it wasn't the ending my trip needed it was probably the ending it deserved.

sooty mangabey and devilfish like this.
  13. FunkyGibbon

A Final Thought

Many words on ZooChat have been devoted, whether explicitly or not, to the topic of which zoos are 'must-visit'. Most zoonerds have some sense that, whether or not it will ever be financially viable for them, they should at least aspire to visit the likes of San Diego, Berlin and Singapore. From there the list can be extended downwards at your own leisure.

I put it to the forum, and I would welcome dissent or agreement, that a life of zoo visiting is not complete without a trip to Tokyo. There is simply so much to see here that cannot be seen in any other zoo in the world, so much of it of significance. And it's not just the animals; almost any aspect of being a zoo is occasionally pushed slightly sideways in ways that may delight or dismay but never bore.

So many of us are slowly working our way through all of the heavy hitters of either Europe or North America (or both!). It is almost certainly true that the vast majority of these are 'better' zoos than what is to be found in Japan, but Tokyo's offerings cut through this premise entirely by simply offering a wildly different experience. I would urge any zoonerd who has the means to strongly consider adding a Tokyo/Japan trip to their calendar next year*.

*unless you haven't visited a few of your local greats. In that case you really should do that first. Partly because they will be better zoos and partly because Japan is much more fun when you have something to contrast it to.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2019
  14. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which Tokyo aquarium is the best? Sushine,Shinagawa,Tokyo sea life park or Sumida?

15. FunkyGibbon

Definitely not Sunshine, and I didn't visit Shinagawa on @devilfish 's advice so probably not there either. Personally I prefered Tokyo Sea Life to Sumida, but I know people go both ways.

16. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Funky, did you do any wildlife watching when you were in Japan, or was your visit all to zoos and aquariums?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. FunkyGibbon

I did quite a lot of other cultural stuff, but no wildlife watching.

18. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks. I prefer Tokyo Sea Life Park more (mainly I think not worth the price for Sumida) and your reply definitely help. I really want to see the fairy penguins.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  19. FunkyGibbon

I have started uploading photos from the trip. I think it's a good chance to reflect on each zoo as I go.

Tama Zoo:

Tama Zoo - ZooChat

First of all, what a beautiful winter's day that was. Glorious weak sunshine, crisp clean air and no wind. When I look back at my notes I find I recorded the day as euphoric, but that impression hasn't really stuck with me. There are a few parts of Tama that are really pretty bad, and I don't think we are critical enough of them, especially some of the small mammal stuff where it wouldn't take a lot to change the situation. Also with the space they have, I want to see much better bear and hoofstock exhibits, as well as better aviaries.

Something I got wrong in my initial review: the Insectarium is actually by far the inferior of the two insect houses. Insectopia is much better and much more specious as well.

Overall Tama probably deserves more acclaim on ZooChat than it currently gets. If it was in Europe it would be quite legendary. But I find that I don't love it as much as I thought I did. I am sure that I will really enjoy a return visit in a few years, but I hope to see a changed and still changing zoo.

20. FunkyGibbon

Tokyo Sea Life Park:

Tokyo Sea Life Park - ZooChat

It wasn't long after my trip that I realised that Tokyo Sea Life was actually my favourite collection in Tokyo. This is perhaps particularly surprising if you look at the poll I conducted before my trip, in which it came flat-out last:

What to do in Tokyo - My Hundredth Zoo

As with all zoos, but perhaps more so with all Japanese zoos, TSLP is not without its flaws. In particular, there are a few medium-sized tanks really feel too small for their medium-sized inhabitants. However, its advantages take a little longer to list:

Very cool local marine collection
    Some excellent exhibits
    Up to date, comprehensive signage
    Outstanding native freshwater section
    Beautiful, stylish aesthetic
    Fantastic location

I really enjoy the fact that Tokyo Sea Life is quite quirky. I like that it has tuna as its marquee exhibit. I love all the weird fish and the interesting seashore exhibits. I thought the riverine, freshwater exhibits were world-leading. Most of all though, I love the genuine beauty of parts of it.

The highest praise I would give is that it is probably the only Tokyo aquarium I would revisit next time, other things being equal.