Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Future Development of Auckland Zoo (Speculation)

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 15 Oct 2022.

Tags:
  1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Introduction

The focus of development at Auckland over the past five years has been on the construction of the South East Asian precinct, which following a two year delay, will finally be completed this year.

I thought it’d be interesting to have a thread to discuss the development of the zoo beyond this precinct given little has been shared of recent as to their plans. In the posts below, I’ll detail the probable changes we’ll see over the next five years.

Patrick Keegan and Matt_C like this.
  2. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Auckland has looked into procuring red ruffled lemurs?

It just came up in discussion with a friend who thinks they are planned for the old otter enclosure but I don't remember ever seeing anything about it.

Patrick Keegan, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  3. Zoofan15

New Zealand Coast Exhibit

This exhibit opened in 2001 and originally housed California sea lions. They were subsequently joined by New Zealand fur seals and a Subantarctic fur seal, the latter of which is the last surviving occupant of this exhibit:

upload_2022-10-15_15-42-32.jpeg

upload_2022-10-15_15-40-33.jpeg

upload_2022-10-15_15-42-56.jpeg

Adjoining this exhibit is an exhibit for Little blue penguins:

upload_2022-10-15_15-40-3.jpeg

Since the zoo is planning to phase out pinnipeds from their collection, I’ll be interested to see what species replaces them. I was advised via email that the exhibit will likely remain part of the New Zealand precinct; and upon my last visit, a keeper mentioned while nothing had been decided, she’d love to see it repurposed for penguins.

Since the zoo has recently bred Little blue penguin and stated an intention to build up a sustainable colony, I’m of the opinion a large colony of this species will be housed in the seal pool when they pass; with the small pool (current penguin exhibit) used for hand-reared chicks ahead of their introduction to the main pool.

The other possibility is with the zoo regularly treating sea turtles at their vet clinic (which are subsequently transferred to Kelly Tarlton’s), they may instead accomodate them in this exhibit for rehabilitation ahead of their release.

4. Zoofan15

According to this document from December 2019, Auckland Zoo have applied to import Red ruffed lemur: https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/FileAPI/hsno-ar/APP203982/APP203982-Application.pdf

That’s interesting to know there’s been discussion of housing them in the otter exhibit and something I will discuss in more detail in the next post.

5. Zoofan15

Old Sumatran Tiger and Asian Small-clawed Otter Exhibits

The old Sumatran tiger exhibit opened in 2006 and for several years housed the zoo’s male Sumatran tiger, Oz. Following the death of its last occupant in 2019, the exhibit has held Ring-tailed lemur, which have been a high uninspiring exhibit - not least due to their lack of visibility in the well shaded exhibit, that is well suited for the felids it was built for.

upload_2022-10-15_15-57-24.jpeg

Adjoining the old Sumatran tiger exhibit is an exhibit for Asian small-clawed otter. This is a relatively new exhibit - but like the tiger exhibit, has been replaced nonetheless with a new otter exhibit as part of the South East Asian precinct.

upload_2022-10-15_15-58-23.jpeg

My personal desire is to see the old Sumatran tiger exhibit repurposed for Sri Lankan leopard. The exhibit is well suited for a single male leopard space wise and offers shade and privacy; while ensuring some degree of visibility.

I also believe that aside from the attraction a new species as charismatic as the Sri Lankan would bring to the zoo, it would be a fitting link to the Nepalese red panda exhibit behind, which is also from South Asia - and a geographical outlier to other exhibits in the zoo. Any concerns around space could be remedied by expanding into the space occupied by the old otter exhibit.

However, the 2014 masterplan detailed lemurs (specifically a walk through exhibit) being scheduled for this area; and while I wondered/hoped if this had been abandoned (along with several other aspects of the masterplan), @Matt_C has reminded me of the zoo’s plans to import Red ruffed lemur, which there’s apparently discussion around placing in the old otter exhibit.

Long term, it’s not hard to imagine a walk though being created, with a double door system installed at each end of the old tiger/Ring-tailed lemur exhibit - with a pathway winding along the perimeter of the old otter exhibit, with that enclosure holding Red ruffed lemur.

6. Zoofan15

Greater Flamingo Exhibit

The flamingo exhibit opened in 2001 and following the successful rearing of several chicks over the past eight years, is looked cramped and dated:

upload_2022-10-15_16-10-22.jpeg

The zoo’s Greater flamingo flock are an asset to the zoo. They’re the only flock of this species in the region and likely to remain so for the foreseeable given the import ban. They’re a successful breeding flock and the zoo has achieved the notable accolade of being the only zoo in the world to have chicks hatched and reared by an entirely hand raised flock. It’s clear this is a species the zoo needs to invest in.

The 2014 masterplan mentioned a Greater flamingo aviary, but gave no elaboration on plans for this. An email to the zoo confirmed that although this hasn’t been ruled out, there’s no concrete plans as to when it will happen and where in the zoo it will be situated.

Assuming they wish to build this aviary within the confines of the African precinct, the most realistic option is to build it on the site of the elephant exhibit - but more on this in the next post.

7. Zoofan15

Asian Elephant Exhibit

The Asian elephant exhibit opened in 1992 and has the capacity to house three cows of this species. Following the announcement Auckland Zoo plan to phase out this species, it’s believed Burma will be exported in 2024 - either to Australia or North America.

upload_2022-10-15_16-18-6.jpeg

upload_2022-10-15_16-18-47.jpeg

Burma’s export will leave a sizeable exhibit space available for redevelopment. Initial plans for this exhibit were to extend the Southern white rhinoceros exhibit, however I was advised on my last visit that they’re now rethinking this idea, given the death of one of the bulls no longer necessitates the advent of another exhibit.

The plan for this exhibit that was being discussed by the zoo as of June was for an African forest precinct. Realistic possibilities given availability and import restrictions include Mandrill and Eastern bongo, as well as smaller primate species such as Black and white colobus.

Another possibility that has been discussed previously is a walk through aviary for Greater flamingo. There’s the space to invest in the infrastructure needed to support the breeding of this species for decades to come in this area.

Less likely in my mind, is an exhibit for African lion; combined with a supporting exhibit for either Spotted hyena or Africa wild dog. The lionesses have an exhibit that’s an adequate size for the non breeding pride and the zoo seem happy with this arrangement. If the lions were to be transferred across, it’d vacate their exhibit for a flamingo aviary - which in turn would link nicely to the African aviary next door, which houses lovebirds, tortoises and meerkats.

8. Zoofan15

Old Red Panda Exhibit

The off display red panda exhibit is a renovated bear pit built in 1922 and is the oldest functional exhibit in the zoo. I was relieved to see it wasn’t demolished during the construction of the South East Asian precinct, though it has been screened off from view and most visitors pass by, not realising it’s there.

upload_2022-10-15_16-31-26.jpeg

It’s difficult to say what the zoo will do with this exhibit, which is not even on the zoo’s map. With renovations set to occur on the site of the otter and lemur exhibit, it’s possible the two red pandas housed in the upper exhibit (adjacent to those two) will be housed in one half of this exhibit - with it serving as an off display exhibit for the foreseeable.

Long term, my preference would be to see a species of South East Asian langur in this exhibit - to compliment the South East Asian precinct it borders.

It’s equally likely the red pandas will move permanently into this exhibit space (with their exhibit repurposed for lemurs) and this remain a geographical outlier (South Asia), albeit bordering the South East Asian precinct - acceptable given the African precinct contains species from North Africa; as well as an extensive Savannah representation.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Old Siamang Exhibit

The Siamang exhibit opened in 1996, but has since been demolished - following the transfer of the zoo’s Siamang pair to the South East Asian precinct in 2020. The transfer served a double purpose of removing the last Geographical outlier from the Rainforest precinct, which has since been rethemed as South America (please ignore the exhibit for American alligators, which is part of this precinct :p).

upload_2022-10-15_16-40-29.jpeg

Long term, I believe the most likely outcome will be an extension to the Black-handed spider monkey exhibit. The zoo has a successful breeding troop, but has little capacity to manage more than a single cohesive troop - which many zoos have found a hindrance.

An alternative could be dedicated housing for multiple small monkey species e.g tamarins and marmosets, allowing for a breeding centre of sorts to be established at the zoo. Adelaide Zoo, which have a long and successful history with breeding Golden lion tamarin have undoubtedly achieved this success through holding multiple pairs - something Auckland Zoo currently has no capacity to do so.

Either way, I’m confident this exhibit space will be re-purposed for a South American species given it’s bordered by South American exhibits and the zoo are dedicated to maintaining exhibits arranged by geography at this point in time.

Patrick Keegan and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've long heard of Auckland's plans for a Lemur walkthrough just past the entrance where the current Otter/Red Panda/Lemur enclosures are. The area isn't large, but could do with a decent sized Lemur walkthrough. I'm certain if this is the case, it'll involve the demolition of the current exhibits, but hopefully they can maintain some of the initial infrastructure. The walkthrough will hopefully hold both Ring Tailed and Red Ruffed lemurs.

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If they plan to convert the front area (where the current red panda enclosure is) into a lemur complex, the plan may very well be to renovate those off display enclosures for Red Pandas. Of course, they're rather decent as it is, and couldn't really be expanded size wise, but if they added some tall trees for them to climb, it could be quite a nice exhibit. Melbourne have a nice enclosure that's fairly simple; (credit: @zooboy28 )

[​IMG]

I'd like to see it redesigned into an aviary for the zoos Macaws, alongside some other South American birds too. A pair of Golden Lion tamarins could easily occupy this exhibit too if they wish.

Matt_C and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Zoofan15

I think demolishing the red panda and otter exhibits is a logical move as it’ll allow the integration of these two exhibits into one.

I’m divided as to how the Sumatran tiger aviary (there’s really no better word for it) will be brought into play, because the infrastructure is by no means unsuitable for lemurs in its current state versus the otter exhibit, which will require total demolition.

One thing to consider is that they could hold Black and white ruffed lemur as well as Red ruffed lemur if they maintain a way of separating them (they would otherwise hybridise). The best to do this is to have the tiger exhibit as a separate annex - either in its current state or as a walk through with double doors.

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Zorro like this.
  13. joe99

joe99 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think these are all mostly pretty good ideas

New Zealand Coast Exhibit- This one was always a nice enclosure and glad its staying within the NZ area of the zoo. The other ideas i have in mind if converted for little blues would be potentially house rescues of other penguin species, such as Fiordland Crested penguins like Taronga alongside the little blues breeding colony. I don't really see it being used for turtles unless for un-releaseable animals, since heating could be a factor.

Old Sumatran Tiger and Asian Small-clawed Otter Exhibits- Lemur walkthrough of some kind seams the most realistic in my opinion, though I think it could make for a nice aviary or other smaller tropical animals. Would be interesting to see how this area could be used if the "African Forest" idea does replace the elephant area.

Greater Flamingo Exhibit - Personally I would consider things something that should be considered pretty soon, since having them in a free flight aviary would really help with future breeding. Just putting a mesh over the enclosure now would work, but expanding it would be also cool. Replacing the lion exhibit with a large aviary could be cool too, but would require a lot more to change to make it suitable.

Asian Elephant Exhibit- I think having that area as a larger lion enclosure and potentally a new cheetah enclosure from that area could work if the "African Forest" idea, giving animals already in the zoo more area to roam. really any combination of all these ideas could work, its a pretty large area after all.

Old Red Panda Exhibit- I would agree that having either a new species, lemurs, red pandas or some small Asian primate could work well. Would be kinda sad to see this go, since its still a good enclosure and a part of the zoos history

Old Siamang Exhibit- Tufted Capuchin comes to mind in terms of primates, or the Multi pair small primate enclosure idea you mentioned. Another idea would be a South American aviary, with Macaws, Amazons, Conures etc.. would make a great exhibit and fit the theme of the area.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  14. Zoofan15

African Forest Precinct - Madagascar and the Congo

There’s huge potential for the space vacated by the elephant exhibit and you raise an interesting point re. building the lemur walk through in this area. When the idea “African forest” was mentioned to me, my mind sprang to the Congo/Central African rainforest ecosystem - but it could just as easily apply to the forests of Madagascar.

I sincerely hope a lemur walk through (no matter how large) isn’t their idea of a replacement for the elephants. That would be the most underwhelming concept for a precinct since Hamilton Zoo announced plans to build the largest farmyard any New Zealand zoo has ever seen.

The ideal would be to see both Madagascar and the Congo represented, with lemurs complimented by Mandrills and perhaps a pair of Eastern bongo if space wasn’t too limited by this stage - thus representing two different geographical areas, linked by the rainforest biome theme.

15. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since Auckland zoo is the only zoo in the region who have flamingos they could do worse than transform the current elephant exhibit into a covered exhibit if they intend to develop the flock to a much greater size. It could become a major feature especially since the Amount of time effort and money invested so far.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. Zoofan15

A possible reason no flamingo aviary has been built yet:

If they utilised the whole space, there’d be room to house a flock numbering in the hundreds.

However, I’m wondering if Auckland Zoo are cautious to invest in infrastructure for a species which is vulnerable to avian malaria and other such diseases, which have the potential to wipe out the entire flock. In such a worst case scenario, the zoo would be unable to source more; and would be left with infrastructure dedicated to their housing that would be difficult to repurpose for another species of similar appeal.

Just something I hadn’t considered until now…

17. Zorro

That would be a good reason to off load some to other zoos in case of a set back but at the end of the day what is there with out some kind of a risk to it.

18. Zoofan15

It could indeed be beneficial to have a second flock at Orana Wildlife Park as a contingency if the main flock at Auckland is wiped out.

I think the most productive thing Auckland Zoo can do at this point in time is carry out an assessment of reproductive success of each flamingo. The majority of successful chicks have come from first generation flamingos and a small number of founders (Neil, Cheviot etc), who’ve experienced repeated success.

This means there’s a large number of founders who haven’t bred (and probably never will). Since the flock is achieving slow but incremental breeding success with the current numbers, they could remove underperforming founders and sub in Auckland bred chicks, which have a higher reproductive success - therefore not overcrowding the exhibit.

Relocating the under performing birds to a new exhibit (at Orana) could even stimulate breeding. If they haven’t bred under the current conditions in the two decades they’ve had to do so, they probably never will.

19. Zorro

I believe Auckland should do another import to boost numbers and perhaps a joint shipment with another NZ zoo.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  20. Zoofan15

It would be great if they could source the numbers to make up their flock to the minimum baseline number for optimum breeding (40 flamingos). This could be achieved with an import of around 15 flamingos.

A second zoo could joint fund the import under the agreement they’d receive Auckland bred chicks, which would likely be bred in reasonable numbers within 3-5 years from the new import; supplemented by additional breeding success at Auckland Zoo.

As mentioned, only a small number of founders have achieved repeated breeding success, with their offspring comprising the majority of the proven breeders. Ultimately, the regional population has the potential to become inbred quite quickly if unrepresented or new founders fail to contribute.