Join our zoo community

Future Exhibits/Plans at Your Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 29 Aug 2012.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed before, but what are planned exhibits and projects at your zoos? My home zoo, Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, is currently working on South American Adventure Phase 1 (Pampas Plains), which will have a focus on the Pampas region of South America and animals in it, including Maned Wolves, Chacoan Peccaries, Greater Rheas, and Giant Anteaters. The llama exhibit will be renovated for one of the species. The Maned Wolves will keep the same enclosure they have now (but with new glass viewing), the peccaries and rheas will get new exhibits, and anteaters will be a new species to the zoo. They're also planning on an overhaul of the old bear exhibits, to make it into a new cat exhibit, but this isn't public yet, so I'll keep quiet. What are some other exhibits or plans that your zoo is working on?

Last edited: 29 Aug 2012
  2. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

This is the Brookfield Zoo's master plan: http://zoodesign.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/75236-revised-master-plan-1-to-100-copy.jpg. There are a couple things that are inaccurate including the Great Bear wilderness (great wild north on master plan) is almost completely different except for wolf woods and the picnic area north east of Roosevelt Fountain is a pavillion area where the zoo can hold special events. Here is a more accurate master plan but it is small and blurry (p.29) Chicago Zoological Society - Strategic Plan

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A summary of what I know from California zoos:

Los Angeles Zoo: They are finishing up a long-in-production master plan that has reshaped a good chunk of the zoo. Since 1998 there they have built new chimpanzee, orang-utan, gorilla, seal, and Asian elephant exhibits; a new reptile-invertebrate complex, a new entrance complex and education building, repaved the parking lot into a "green" lot that collects water run-off and channels it into the local aquifer and is landscaped with California native plants. They are currently building a "Rainforest of the Americas" that will feature giant otters, Baird's tapirs, harpy eagles, red uakaris, and other species not yet revealed. Hopefully a new wave of projects will follow in coming decade as there are many major exhibits that need replacement still (lions, hippos, giraffes), etc.

San Diego Safari Park: supposedly they are going to begin work on the new tiger exhibit complex soon which will feature Sumatran tigers and several Asian bird species, but they have been talking about building it for years so believe it when you see it.

San Diego Zoo: new koala and other Australian animal (possibly Tasmanian devils and wombats) exhibit complex is under construction. They just opened a newly renovated Reptile Mesa. Rumors are that the old grottoes and cages in Cat Canyon will be replaced by a new Africa exhibit of some kind, possibly including African penguins. Penguins have been absent from the zoo since the 1970s.

Living Desert: Rumors are that they are gearing up to build their long-in-development lion exhibit in their Africa area. In past plans this area has also included black rhino, baboons, and Nile crocodiles, but unclear if this is still the current plan.

Oakland Zoo: they are building a new animal hospital and then their long-in-development California area that will feature grizzly bears, wolves, California condors, mountain lions, and jaguars. Not sure what other species will be included. Beavers and black bears were also in the plans at one time.

San Francisco Zoo: new polar bear exhibit to replace the old bear grotto, new big cat exhibit complex, new great ape complex for chimps and orangs, new rhino and hippo exhibits with underwater viewing for hippos, renovated gorilla forest, and rumors of new elephant exhibit down the line...NOT. Supposedly they are building some new playgrounds, a squirrel monkey exhibit, and a new cage for their bobcat. Yippee.

Aquarium of the Pacific: just opened a new magellanic penguin exhibit.

Sea World: new roller Manta coaster and non-manta ray touch tank

Fresno: new sea lion exhibit opening this fall or soon after; new Africa exhibit for 2014 with African elephants, lions, white rhinos, spot-neck otters, giraffes, etc. These developments may be the most exciting California project as they have a lot of money to build with, an ambitious director, and a supportive community.

Sacramento: new monkey and gibbon complex in near future are rumored. They just got Wolf's guenons so would assume that they will get a new exhibit soon.

Sequoia Park Zoo in Eureka (only AZA zoo in California I've not yet seen): new river otter-salmon-bald eagle exhibit...sounds quite cool. They have an ambitious master plan to rebuild their small zoo and seem to be making good progress from what I read. The master plan is on their website.

Micke Grove Zoo in Lodi: lost AZA accreditation in 2005ish. Working to get it back. They have plans for and have partially constructed a new snow leopard-Asian small clawed otter exhibit complex and hopefully can finish it.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

Heck, I revealed the cat that's supposed to go into the old bear exhibits on the Beardsley Zoo News thread, so I'll just reveal it here and say it's Amur Leopard. Also for South American Adventure, there are 4 phases overall, but I don't know what they are. The whole project should be completed by 2017.
    Mystic Aquarium: I have heard/seen plans for dolphins, sea otters, and a new better African Penguin exhibit.
    Roger Williams Park Zoo: When the planned $15-$20 million Polar Bear exhibit was nixed, they had plans to bring in a bunch of new species. So far they've added Sichuan Takin and King Vultures, and Red River Hogs should be on exhibit by the end of August. They also have plans for venemous snakes, moose, vampire bats, new monkeys, a walk-thru lorikeet exhibit, and best of all, a brand new tiger exhibit to make up for the Polar Bears and lack of cats in the zoo.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2012
  5. deanmo19

deanmo19 Well-Known Member

Don't forget moose.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A wonderful analysis of a truly great U.S. state in terms of weather, zoos and aquariums!:) My two cents:

- Los Angeles Zoo has certainly been revitalized and I'm sure I would be impressed on my next visit, but there are still a LOT of outdated exhibits there and many of them feature marquee animals.

- The Fresno Chaffee Zoo and Oakland Zoo additions are huge and highly anticipated, and I see that the new sea lion habitat just opened at Fresno this week.

- Has Aquarium of the Bay had any new developments?

- Of the 24 AZA-accredited facilities in California there are only 4 that I've never seen: Safari West Wildlife Preserve, California Science Center (a little bizarre that it is part of AZA), Sequoia Park Zoo and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. I wouldn't mind mini-reviews of those 4 sent to me via email...hint, hint.

7. DavidBrown

The California Science Center now has some major animal exhibits, and so makes sense that it is AZA. It wasn't yet when I visited in 2010, perhaps because it was too new. There are several exhibits centered around various ecosystems. There is a kelp forest tank with leopard sharks, garibaldi, etc (Ecosystems: Kelp Forest). It isn't as large as Monterey Aquarium's kelp forest, but on a similar scale. There is a desert exhibit with a bat colony, desert tortoises, porcupines (not yet on exhibit when I visited),and several reptile and invertebrate species from the California desert. The desert area also features a simulated flash flood like the ones at the Denver Aquarium and the Las Vegas Springs Preserve. There is a "rot room" where you can watch maggots chow down an animal corpse - gross, but cool - and an extremely important ecosystem service. There is actually a substantial animal attraction here - and it is free.

There are plans to build a tropical Asian rain forest exhibit too with hornbills, langurs, otters, and monitor lizards, but I don't know when/if it will happen (Ecosystems: Rain Forest). The California Science Center is soon to be home to a retired space shuttle and they need to build a multi-zillion dollar exhibit for it so the rain forest may be on indefinite hold.

8. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Denver -

Just finished TEP but are always making improvements to the old complexes. As of now the renovation of the old Pachy's House is undergo and will soon be up for the public, hopefully around the middle of September. This exhibit will still show signs of it older self but will do wonders for its current inhabitants, 1.1 Black Rhinoceros and 2.0 Nile Hippopotamus. There outdoor and indoor exhibits will be more than doubled in size.

Denver Zoo's master plan had a revision as of late and is now in the re-drawing stage. The next exhibits, as far as I know, will be: Asian Temperate Forest ( which means renovation of the feline house for 6 species ) or North American Trails.

If Asian Temperate is chosen first than the exhibit will over take the rest of the northern hoof stock paddocks and Wolf Woods. The only animals that are listed to be in that exhibit are Amur Tigers, Pallas' Cat, and Lynx but since we no longer have those small cats, and we do plan on keeping the snow leopards and amur leopards, the exhibit will probably contain large cats and some hoof stock.
    Denver also has a very good record with Mongolia and we are currently doing most of our research there, making me think the Pallas' cat will re-join out collection along with other Mongolian animals.

If we choose to do North American Trails first than a chunk of the older side of the zoo will be renovated. ( Sheep Mountain, Old Monkey Exhibits, and Bear Mountain ) The only animals that I know where listed were: Wolverine and other small carnivores, grizzly bears, moose, and prairie dogs.....

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo -

Currently renovated and building a new exhibit for African elephants, lions, and meerkats. It's also featuring black rhinos.
    Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – Encounter AFrica

Pueblo Zoo -

Nothing much is going on or has in a while. Can't blame them either, they don't have as much support as the other two zoos do, but are still getting by. The reptile house was finished last year I believe and is actually quite good for the lack of funds. The newest animals at the zoo are Sichuan takins and I believe there was a new exhibit for them.... Other than that the zoo has plans on their website about a new Black Rhino exhibit. It looks pretty good. Ambitious to me but it could very well happen, its just going to take a while. Pueblo Zoo - Located in Pueblo, Colorado

9. BeardsleyZooFan

Small Wonders Project - The Sacramento Zoo

10. 6647

6647 Well-Known Member

Good Zoo -

The master plan calls for a renovation of the otter exhibit, and they will be replaced with Humboldt Penguins. This, along with the Andean Spectacled Bear, with display two types of animals that are not usually expected to live in South America.

A new otter exhibit will be constructed in the Wetlands section of the zoo. There will still be underwater viewing, but the otters will now have more dirt and soil to dig around in. There are 2 potential spots for the enclosure, and the one that is not chosen for it may become an enclosure for another wetland animal.

A new antelope species is coming soon to the African Plains exhibit, to go along with the zebras and ostriches. It will probably be Thomson's Gazelles. Also, there might be new birds in there as well (Guinea fowl possibly?).

What is now the Wild Dog enclosure will later hold capybaras, agoutis, monkeys, and possibly a tapir. This will happen as soon as the SSP plans for the Dogs is completed.

A new gibbon enclosure will be across from the lemurs, and might also include another animal, like muntjacs or peafowl.

A Rodent exhibit holding either pikas or praire dogs near the barn will also be constructed, not to mention a new pig will be added to the barn.

Also, new outdoor enclosures are to be expected for Pete, our American Alligator, along with the zoo's Komodo Dragons.

Lastly, an African Aviary will come to the zoo near the meadow up the hill from the barn area. The meadow is very large, and will likely be the location for the zoo's larger projects in the future. :D

11. DavidBrown

12. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Africa - The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden

Africa!

Phase I: Jun 6, 2008: Giraffe Ridge: Masai Giraffes, Crowned Cranes
    Phase II: 2010: Cheetah Encounter and Flamingo yard
    Phase III: 2013: Lions and Cheetahs
    Phase IV: 2014: African Plains: Zebras, Gazelles, Storks, Ostriches, Cranes etc. African Savannah Cafe will look out onto the plains. African Wild Dogs were supposed to be part of the exhibit but the zoo is still unsure despite them being on the latest map.
    Phase: V: 2015: Nile Hippo and Nile Crocs: Above and Underwater viewing.

http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-africa-map-phase-3-a-278463/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-africa-map-phase-5-a-278464/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-future-white-lion-exhibit-282103/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-future-cheetah-exhibit-278448/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/june-201...ne-2012-right-side-giraffe-ridge-275770/5767/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/june-2012-left-side-giraffe-ridge-275769/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-cheetah-encounter-entrance-sign-282109/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-cheetah-encounter-278466/
    http://www.zoochat.com/556/jul-2012-cheetah-encounter-278465/

13. BeardsleyZooFan

Since posting this thread, I know a bit more about Beardsley's plans, as well as plans for other institutions.
    Beardsley: Pampas Plains will have, like I said before, a new viewing hut for Maned Wolves, will include Chacoan Peccaries, and will make new exhibits for Greater Rheas and Giant Anteaters. However, I don't know if the peccaries will get a new enclosure or if they will keep their current enclosure. Tapirs and Capybaras are also being considered. The second phase might highlight the Andes Mountains. If they move forward with this, they will probably make a new larger aviary for the Andean Condor, and bring back Andean Bears, hopefully in a much better enclosure.
    Maritime Aquarium: Somewhat recently finished a $4 million refurbishment, which I must say, has improved the aquarium a lot. The renovation includes new animals, new exhibits, new interactive activities, a new seal show, repaintings, and improved lighting and graphics.
    Bronx Zoo: There are plans to build a new massive Safari Adventure exhibit. Hopefully this will be an animal attraction along with the planned 4D theater. They also want to build a new Wildlife Ambassadors Center and new health care faculty. These additions better happen and be good, because the Bronx is sliding down its position as one of the top zoos in America.
    Queens Zoo: I've never visited this institution, but they plan to add a Jaguar exhibit.
    New York Aquarium: Never visited this place either, but they made a new Conservation Hall that was better than the old one, and are currently working on "Ocean Wonders: Sharks!" exhibit.
    New England Aquarium: I might visit this place next year for the first time. They're currently renovating their Giant Ocean Tank.
    Beardsley: Diageo Donates $30K & 800 Volunteer Hours to Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo | Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    WCS Institution Plans: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20100103/FREE/301039990
    New England Aquarium: Aquarium Transformation in Progress

14. BeardsleyZooFan

Florida Institutions

Naples Zoo: "Kiwa Ranch" will recreate a ranch abandoned due to drought. When humans are away, animals will play! There will be new improved exhibits for Reticulated Giraffes, Cheetahs, Leopards, Lions, and Honey Badgers. There will also be new monkey (probably baboon), snake, lizard, spider, and scorpion exhibits. Naples Zoo Board of Directors
    Lowry Park Zoo: The zoo has announced a capital campaign called "New Horizons." Plans include a renovated Florida Wildlife Center (I think some parts are alreay renovated), a new South American exhibit with anteaters, giant otters, jaguars, and macaws, improvements to the Manatee Hospital, a new lion exhibit in Safari Africa, a new veterinary hospital and conservation center, a new quarantine center, improvements to the Florida Environmental Education Center, and new exhibits for Bonobos and Western Lowland Gorillas, which will make Lowry Park only the 2nd zoo in the U.S. with all 4 species of great apes. Make A Donation; Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo

15. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Birmingham is finding Cenzoo the lone gorilla a new home and replacing him with baboons.

Hoofstock is the next focus of trails of africa.

16. BeardsleyZooFan

More info about Pampas Plains at Beardsley Zoo:
    http://beardsleyzoo.org/node/421
    The glass viewing portal for the Maned Wolves has already been completed however.
    Smithsonian National Zoo: They plan to finish up Elephant Trails next year, and I might be able to come down there in time to see it in 2013.
    Roger Williams Park Zoo: A New England exhibit is planned to open in 2014 with river otters, lynx, owls, porcupines, and wild turkeys.

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

NOTE: Much of this is speculation I've learned and heard about on this site mostly from BeardsleyZooFan.

The Beardsley Zoo is thinking about getting perminent Galapagos Giant Tortoises as their temporary exhibit for the species (and one Aldabra) was a success and very popular. The zoo may also be renovating the current South American Rainforest Building for one of the phases. Finally, the zoo may also bring in a Jaguar possibly for Phase 4.

The Smithsonian National Zoo is apparently planning on adding more animals to the Cheetah Conservation Station exhibit. So far they've brought in two Ruppell's Griffon Vultures and they plan to add Sitatunga, Lesser Kudu, Red River Hogs, Abyssianian Ground Horbills, and crowned cranes.

18. tamarin

tamarin Well-Known Member

attcal zoological park is preparing an aquarium named oceanopolis and a phisical's history museum with many dinosaur sceletons !!!!!!!!

19. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apparently Edinburgh zoo is planning a ambitious £58 000 000 transformation in the next ten years or so. The zoo will be split into four biome areas.
    Grasslands- Nepalese village,African watering hole and walkthrough safari.
    Animals will include:Giraffe,hornbill, ostriches, rhino, zebras, cheetah and anteloPes.
    Woodland-lions, sun bears, Tigers, various birds of Prey, Kangaroos, wombats
    Elephants and wallabies
    Oceans and wetlands-Penguins, sea lions, flamingoes, Polar bears, sea otters, manatees and capybaras
    Tropical rain forest-Tapir, jaguar, Pygmy hippos, chimpanzees,bongos, orangutans, gibbons and gorillas.

Sounds good to me, although they announced this before the pandas, which will mean that it will be at least another ten years at the earliest. The pandas will altogether cost 20 million, so money will just be an other factor.

20. BeardsleyZooFan

Just to clear up that this is not 100% fantasy, a PDF stated that if the Giant Tortoises were popular enough, the zoo would look into a permanent exhibit with giant tortoises. http://www.bridgeportct.gov/OfficeofPolicyMgmt/Documents/2013 Adopted/ZOO 2013.pdf (Look at 2012-2013 goals, #2)
    An article stated that South American Rainforest might be renovated and new animails might be added in the next few years. Beardsley Zoo doesn?t hibernate | Stratford Star (Look at the Infrastructure section.)
    A South American exhibit that was to be called Andes Adventure would feature Jaguars as the main attraction, but that exhibit was canceled. The current South American Adventure exhibit plan (which is what Thylacine was talking about with phases) is a modification of Andes Adventure, so Jaguars could be a possibility.