Join our zoo community

Future Exhibits/Plans at Your Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 29 Aug 2012.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Komodos are still in the rumor and consideration phase and the chance of it happening is about 50%.

There is no proof of that happening to the island. (I hope it does not considering Lincoln park just opened a macaque exhibit.

You have no idea what I would do for this to become a reality.

Old master plan.

In the planning phase as part of the new master plan.

Old master plan.

Old master plan.

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You also forgot to mention to zoo is building a pangolin exhibit.

3. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting this all together, Grayson. As to Columbus, I think many of these proposed changes went down with the big failed levy (unless I've missed something). I've been lamenting for a while the lack of any announcing projects here in Columbus. I believe I've heard something about the changes to the ape exhibits, but that's about it. I would doubt that any major changes are coming to North America anytime soon as the Zoo just completed a mini-overhaul of several exhibits there (the change to Americas was one part of the master plan proposed to accompany the failed levy). The pinnipeds were also a victim of the failed levy, while the two smaller additions are things I've often seen suggested on these forums, but have not heard about anything concrete. With the exception of #3 (I've always liked North America, and would rather see the zoo open a dedicated South American section), I'd love to see any or all of these changes take place, but I don't think there has been anything confirmed. If anyone knows of anything different, please let me know.

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the work putting the list together.

San Diego Zoo: The zoo has announced that they will be tearing down the current children's zoo (built in the 1950s and renovated multiple times) and building a new one. Presumably that will start after Africa Rocks is done, so maybe in late 2017 or 2018.

5. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I believe pinnipeds are still on the agenda because there was an article earlier this year stating Columbus Zoo officials were scouting Sea Lion Cove at Fresno Chaffee Zoo because they were in the beginning stages of designing a sea lion exhibit. As for Americas and meerkats I wrote these down because I talked with a staff member when I visited in October and she said she believed these were still on the agenda.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  6. GraysonDP

I really hope they build a new sea lion exhibit in that area.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is there any evidence that Queens is still adding Jaguar and Prospect Park is still adding Amur Leopard?

~Thylo

8. GraysonDP

Just some articles I have read. Still nothing new you've heard from Bronx?

9. ThylacineAlive

Bronx has been slowly renovating individual enclosures and exhibits throughout the zoo over the course of the past year or two and I imagine they'll continue with that.

~Thylo

10. GraysonDP

Which have they renovated?

11. ThylacineAlive

The second floor of World of Birds, the Childrens Zoo, and the Zoo Center over the past few years. The Aquatic Bird House was closed on my last visit for maintenance as well. In general signage has been updated, new species added, and individual enclosures renovated and opened in World of Reptiles, World of Birds, JungleWorld, ect.

~Thylo

12. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting, I hadn't heard about that. I personally hope it will be primarily a South American area (isn't there another zoo where that is the case? Bronx maybe?). The SDZ has a few scattered South American animals (primarily in Monkey Trails, as well as the anteaters and Andean bears elsewhere) as well as Parker Aviary, but no real complex for the continent. I wonder what will become of the Insect House and Arachnid Rescue Center.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  13. Ili Pika

Ili Pika New Member

We have a privately owned small zoo. We are looking to add quite a few things, including gibbons, japanese macaque, tiger, and babirusa. We know that the babirusa and tiger are coming, not sure about the two primates yet. We also have some reptiles and some other small mammals like an aardwolf, zorilla, civet, and elephant shrew coming. Oh, and chevrotain. Maybe a slow loris, not sure yet. Well, not sure about the zorilla or elephant shrew either, but probably. We are getting sulcata tortoise, several agamas and monitors, and multiple other frogs and reptiles. We may get some Caribbean flamingos and a screech owl. And some pelicans. Also, some paddlefish and sturgeon for our rivers of the world exhibit. Also, arapaima. We are growing in size and popularity.
    We already have some other cool animals, like Fossa and quoll and stuff. And sugar gliders, we breed those.

Nix likes this.
  14. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What zoo are you referring to? It sounds like it has quite the collection planned.

15. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Detroit is expanding the tiger exhibit, construction to begin this fall. The former penguinarium is to be turned into a bat conservation center, but I have been unable to find out details or a schedule.

16. Giganotosaurus5

Giganotosaurus5 Member

My zoo, Point Defiance, is getting a completely new and renovated aquarium, apparently with hammerhead sharks, green sea turtles, a kelp forest habitat, and more! I am very excited for the opening, which is supposed to take place sometime in 2018.

They are going to remove all the animals from the old facility and move them into the new area. Apparently, they are going to change the old aquarium facility into an Amazon jungle exhibit, though I don't know how reliable that information is (even the person I asked said it was very doubtful, but possible)

I also heard they are going to phase out the elephants, with what I believe were a species of Asian rhinoceros.

17. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pittsburgh zoo will soon start construction on one of it's largest exhibit areas-conservation solarium. This was part of the well know top of the world expandsion that was still in the original plan, including a large reptile/amphibian building, pangolins, an indoor/outdoor orangutan exhibit, new Komodo dragon exhibit, and more! Kids kingdom, the aquarium and African savanna will most likely be the only areas larger

18. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After that will be the mountains exhibit which will have snow leopards- and by the sound of it- the exhibits going to be huge. Also including Andean bears and most likely more species, this should all be done in the next 5-6 years

19. 9030

9030 Active Member

They need an outdoor Pinniped exhibit.

20. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Updates on California Projects:
    San Diego Zoo:
    The new Children’s zoo will include different sections based on climate zones and will supposedly have pangolins and 3 species of wombat.
    There have been rumors of an Asian section replacing the bear grottos in Asian Passage.
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park:
    A new much larger elephant exhibit is being planned that will help the general flow of the park.
    SeaWorld San Diego:
    Their new coaster Emperor has yet to be opened even with less restrictions in the state. The new rollercoaster planned for the Wild Arctic area has had no new developments. Over COVID the CEO who planned both of theses rides quit and was replaced by a new CEO. So this could mean an end to the parks new rollercoaster every year trend.
    Living Desert:
    Construction for the new rhino area has begun, it will include species like Black Rhino, Klipspringer, Springbok, Waterbuck, Banded Mongoose, Dwarf Mongoose, Naked Mole Rat, Cape Vulture, Cattle Egret, Great White Pelican, and Pink-Backed Pelican.
    Across from the Rhino area will be a small Lion exhibit with an additional event room that looks out at the exhibit.
    A large Sea of Cortez (Baja Mexico) shark tank is also being planned.
    Los Angeles: A master plan has been created giving the zoo new African, Asian, Australian, and Californian areas. If you want more information check the Los Angeles Zoo news thread for the most recent iteration of the master plan.
    Santa Barbara:
    A new Australian outback is currently under construction. It is a large walkthrough in the old elephant exhibit. The exhibit will hold wallabies, Grey Kangaroos, and Emus.
    Fresno: A new Asian exhibit is being built. It will hold Sumatran Tigers, Sloth Bears/Small clawed otters (mixed exhibit), Orangutans, Greater-One Horned Rhinos, and a few other species. The news thread also has the most recent version of the plan if you want to know more.
    So overall zoos near me are doing pretty well with new additions.

kiang, 9030 and StoppableSan like this.