Join our zoo community

Future Expansions/Exhibits/Renovations at America's Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by GraysonDP, 13 Dec 2016.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You also forgot to add that Brookfield will soon be exhibiting Tree pangolins. :D:D:D:D

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lots of work went into this listing which we all appreciate. Nice job!

On a technical note (and this is for everyone, not jus this thread starter), long lists are much easier to read if you put the headings (the zoo names in this case) in bold type.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Yes that's so.
    But there was one done after it. Sorry for the confusion

6. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Akron Zoo:

Curious Creatures will replace the now closed Journey to the Reef in June 2017. The replacement was announced today and will feature unusual animals and plants. Animals will be both terrestrial and aquatic. 20 exhibits will be in the new area with several interactivite areas.

Tiger Valley renovations include the renovation of the tiger, lion, and red panda exhibits plus the the likely additions of gibbons and Colobus monkeys. Sloth bear and white stork status has not been announced since the exhibit has not been formally announced. A Ferris wheel could be added as well.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

First post, long time lurker!

This is my local zoo, are there any time frames or places to find out more about these projects? A Latin America section would be cool, and tie into the original master plan. Lions could be fairly easy to get into Safari Africa as there are some open areas still...and a remodeled Primates of the World would be great! That section has only received minor upgrades since opening.

BenFoxster and betsy like this.
  8. 6536799

6536799 Member

The Americas region for the columbus zoo is likely no longer an option but seals/ sea lions/ pinnipeds is likely to come I saw an article about it written by the firm that would be constructing it and they said the columbus zoo had contacted them about building it

9. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I think rhinos will be coming soon, as before the hippo exhibit was announced, I was told by workers the zoo was getting permissions and planning to construct habitats for hippo AND rhinos. I was surprised there were no rhinos involved with this new hippo outpost when I saw the plans because of this.

Also more recent news, there is construction and changes occurring in the reptile house once again, including construction in the main atrium where the chameleons used to live. There are large wooden panels around the area hiding construction from view, but I asked a volunteer who said "Construction for the chameleons again and maybe a little something else."

And regarding the Fort Worth Zoo there is some construction occurring in the Texas Wild area in the old horse pen. Looks like a new building is being erected, does anyone have any knowledge on what it could be?

10. mlwinans

mlwinans New Member

NC Zoo Expansion will be Australia and Asia as mentioned but it will also include a third exhibit for the Amazon/South America. When all three are completed, if built in as they currently see them to be, NC Zoo will be the largest Zoo in the world.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Does anyone have any more information on the bonobo exhibit?

StoppableSan likes this.