Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Future of the Bronx Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 8 Apr 2009.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

2. okapikpr

Some information regarding future improvements at WCS parks...

3. okapikpr

Cash-strapped Bronx Zoo evicting animals -- amNY.com

This article says that to close a $15 million budget gap, the Bronx Zoo will be closing three exhibits:

World of Darkness
    Rare Animal Range
    and an unspecified hoofstock exhibit

Now taking previous news into consideration, these exhibits have already been identified for renovation or rebuilding. Now the question is:

(1)Are they going forward with renovations of these areas, or (2)are they actually closing these exhibits to save money and plan to make improvements in the future when better days return?

I would obviously think it is #2, does anyone have any insight into this?

4. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I mentioned in the other thread on this that I was questioning the validity of this article (in NYC, AMNY is not considered a real news source, see & Newsday isn't exactly a NYC local paper either; the Post nor DN picked the story up). Also, if you look at the agenda for Thursday at the NYC council, there's nothing on the agenda even remotely related to environment.

But I digress. There's no way they'd actually be closing these exhibits (perhaps the ranges, but not WoD) for good. WoD used to charge admission for a reason: it's one of the most popular exhibits at the zoo (probably somewhere right behind Tiger Mountain, Congo, and Madagascar). I'm sure if there's any validity to this, it's a matter of improvement to these sites. IMO, WoD could use it (I've always thought it was far too dark and more could be done with it) and the RAR's just don't interest visitors. "Hey kids, want to trek the the farthest point in the zoo to see a sika deer? Wait, I can't exactly find where they are. What's that building? OH...we can look at....boo, a bad bird exhibit." Not exactly a good conversation that's probably had a lot.

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

My vision for there next exhibit would be an Arctic Tundra exhibit with the main feature being polar bear and grizzly bear

6. dcamp023

dcamp023 Well-Known Member

The new york times is also running an atricle stating that the zoo is transferring its lemurs caimen and deers to other zoos. I understand that the papaers arent reliable but where are they getting this information.

7. tigertiger

I would love something official on this because my parents read the headlines and articles on the papers in NYC to me this morning and every paper has a different story. One mentions closing Madagascar and getting rid of the lemurs entirely, another mentions closing the monorail (only place to see rhino and elephants at the zoo) and WoD, and another mentions cutting the Mouse House. I'm sure they're cutting 'something' at this point--I'd just like an official word as to what, you know?

It seems some papers are running one thing while others another.

8. tigertiger

I asked someone in WCS public relations and they pointed to the statement in the April 6th press release that follows:

""At the Bronx Zoo, a number of older areas are being considered for modification such as the World of Darkness, the Rare Animal Range, and the exhibits of Arabian Oryx and Blesbok in the southeastern corner of the zoo. In the coming years, it is hoped that a new and exciting Children’s Safari will be built in that southeastern corner. In the immediate future, we will be opening exhibits with hyenas and aardvarks in the Bronx and snow leopards in Central Park. As improvements are made in our parks, we will remain committed to the highest quality of care for our wildlife and continue to provide a first-class guest experience.""

So basically: nothing we don't know, essentially.

9. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Man, I hate to see this phasing out of rare hoofed stock to become too much of a trend here in the US. This news and the end of horn/hoof mesa may be neccessay steps to improve these zoos, but it's kind of bittersweet. I for one enjoy seeing obscure species that the common visitor may not appreciate. It's such a diverse range of animals to cast by the wayside. Elephant, pandas and primates may be what draws the visitors, but I've always considered a decent hoofed stock collection to be the infrastucture of a nice collection.

10. tigertiger

From what I understand, Bronx proper (not the really weird articles coming out about this...) is looking to re-evaluate the hoof stocks. To be honest, I love f. sika deer and they're probably one of my top five favorite zoo animals. But, thinking into the future to wherever the next built-from-the-ground exhibit can go at Bronx...that's really the only space I can think of. And those ranges are HUGE ranges that have never really been given the justice they need. I'd much rather the zoo do something spectacular with those spaces than hold onto their legacy, you know?

11. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Is it true, the zoo got now spotted hyeanas and aardvarks ? And will be WOD open yet at the beginning of June ?

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I think perhaps some of us are not really getting what the current budget short-fall really means.
    These cuts are necessary because of the keepers, gardeners, grounds-keepers, plumbers, electricians, etc. etc. that have to be laid off. By closing these exhibits, they can service the others properly. I do not believe for a minute that these decisions are in preparation for new exhibits in the short-run. It is true that the SE corner was doomed in the Master Plan long ago, and when there are funds it will help that it was closed...but I believe we are talking YEARS and closing exhibits doesn't take very long.
    Nope, there is not a bright side to this.

13. tigertiger

Well the snow leopard and hynas ARE going to open; Central Park is mostly built and already in possession of the leopards and Bronx already has the cheetah exhibit presumably filled as it's on new maps.

Honestly though, when it comes down to it--especially in the case of WoD--something I'm sure will be done in the next five years as it's unsightly to have the largest building in the center of the zoo closed because it can't afford to be ran. Plus, maybe I'm too much of an optimist but I'd like to think it's easier and cheaper to renovate an exhibit when you don't need to worry about animals or the public. I am an optimist though.

14. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

iIve read the statement of Steven Sanderson on the webside of WCS, that the WOD, the anteope exhibts and the Range of rare animals are being considering for modification, so they will not closed because the finical crisis, this statement is from april 6.

15. tigertiger

Unfortunately this statement predated the statements and articles on Friday/Thursday that they'd be closing and evicting the animals.

WCS or BZ haven't made a new statement since then but the article has been reprinted everywhere on the web by now.

Honestly, that's what made it odd when all of this was released the other day.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2009
  16. Zooplantman

All true.
    Yet remember that the Lion House was boarded up for decades before it was turned into Madagascar. And that was my point.

17. tigertiger

But how long were there intentions and plans to turn it into something? I know you have background with Bronx so you may actually know specifics on that--that's why I ask. Especially in the case of WoD though, the plans are a revamp--not completely recreate.

18. Zooplantman

Well, since Himalayan Highlands opened, there were many plans and ideas for the Lion House, but money always got in the way. And there was no "great" idea for that old building.
    If WOD is really closed for a refurbishing, that's not - as you say - a big deal.
    The problems are:

1. that zoos have P.R. departments to spin their news. Just because we read it in their statement...or in the news...does not make it so. And,

2. With the current situation I suspect (this is NOT from inside knowledge) that no one can make any promises. Closing things right now suits the lay-offs. Opening things is an very different matter. Different funding to refurbish then to operate. If you refurbish it can you staff it?

We'll have to wait and follow the action. I ignore the rhetoric.

19. dcamp023

dcamp023 Well-Known Member

Im still very confused. So is the zoo actually sending some of their animals off to other zoos due to the recent layoffs or keeping them and just closing the exhibits for updating?

20. tigertiger

dcamp023, it's really a stupid and confusing situation.

On the 6th, WCS (runs Bronx and the other NYC zoos/aquariums minus SI) released a triumphant news statement that they'd be moving forward with a handful of layoff's and that they'd be looking long term at WoD and the Rare Animal Ranges for upgrade/renovation as a part of the long-term happiness of the zoo.

On Thursday, apparently (I still have yet to hear a straight story from the zoo but every news source picked it up) the zoo told the city council that due to their budget falls, they would be closing WoD, the Rare Animal Range and another exhibit.

These two conflicting statements is where the confusion is coming from as the first one seems more 'in the future we'll look at changing these' and the second sounds more like 'there is no future for these.' It's lead an amount of us to believe that the reason they choose to close (if they did) these locations is so that they can renovate in the next few years.