Join our zoo community

GaiaZOO Kerkrade GaiaPark Kerkrade Zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Orycteropus, 10 Apr 2009.

1. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have the Bat-eared Foxes live in a mixed exhibit yet? In the past there was a plan to mix them with an other African species ... If anybody has information about this, please let me know ...

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was a plan to mix them? As far as i know, the foxes are in their own exhibit in the Africa section, but i'm no Gaiapark expert. There's bound to be one here that knows though ;)

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone have a link to their map. I've been looking at some of their exhibits on zoolex but can't find a map with the exhibits labeled. Thanks. :)

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. jwer

It's on their site, but for some reason not on the translated site. Luckily, your dutch doesn't have to be up to scratch to get the idea ;)

Gaia park | Plattegrond

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks you Jwer and Lintworm. I looked on their site but only the english part. :)

8. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

9. jwer

This was more then a month ago, but i can't remember if it was posted here. Gaia was running towards the hatch, which was closing and in the end, ran into it and got knocked out. She was then moved by another gorilla and fell down an elevation. As far as i understood, the combination of running into the hatch and falling down was fatal...

10. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is Gaiapark Zoo really interested in the Allen's Swamp Monkey? As far as I heard yhis species is yet not at Kerkrade Zoo.

11. jwer

Where did you find that information? This species is not yet at Gaiapark, and i highly doubt it's in their collection plan on the short term...

12. john

Their head of the primates section Tjerk ter Meulen is managing the ESB - while not existing ties between this ESB and the head of the primate section or any other employee of Kerkrade as far as I can see. (see EAZA net). So I was pondering about the possible meaning of it.

13. jwer

This usually means he's managing the ESB :rolleyes:

There are more zoos that manage an EEP or ESB of species they currently not own. Partly because they had them in the past, partly because they are interested in the species or species closely related to them but also just because they like to.

In this case, mr. Ter Meulen seems to run the ESB for black-capped mangabey's (which Gaiapark DOES have) and probably just runs the Allen's Swamp monkey next to it because he was asked to by EAZA/ has the time to run it/ it's not a major ESB and they are animals relatively related to the black-capped mangabeys...

14. john

Any idea about possible transistion of these ESB's to Apenheul, due to the knowledge there available, or will these two underestimated ESB's remain at Kerkrade Zoo (where only one species is on show, and less know-how than in the previous times)?

15. jwer

As far as i know, mister Ter Meulen has been listed as a studbook keeper for years, and probably knows more about the individuals in his program then anyone in Apeldoorn. I even think he's a very experienced monkey-keeper and ex-worker of Apeldoorn but don't pin me to that? I don't think his expertise needs questioning.

Then again, an ESB keeper just registers kinship and runs a studbook. Some do more, like collecting information about how to keep the animals properly but that's just as much the task of the members of the TAG then the studbook keeper. As long as he keeps the studbook properly, i don't really care what his qualifications are...

What do you reckon would the ESB gain from moving to Apenheul?

16. john

Yes, yes, I do appreciate the work at Kerkrade Zoo very well, as I do to the very enthousiast workers at Apenheul.
    So it could be that these two ESB's remain at Kerkrade Zoo, as well that they move on to the Apenheul Zoo Park.
    The work of Mister Ter Meulen is full of dedication.

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.0.1 Baringo Giraffe born in the early hours of September 19th, The third calf to be born at Gaia this year (the others being 1.0 who was born 26th June and 1.0 who arrived on 25th May)

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another male I am afraid.

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Baringo Giraffe bull, Jimiyu left Gaiapark today for Almeria, Spain

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As in the gazelle paradise place?