Join our zoo community

GaiaZOO Kerkrade GaiaPark Kerkrade Zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Orycteropus, 10 Apr 2009.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Visited GaiaZoo for the first time today, and I'm happy (or sad) to report all sorts of news!

- Western cattle egrets in the flamingo aviary have laid a whole bunch of eggs (At least 12)

- The flamingos in the flamingo aviary are now up to 510, and have also laid eggs

- Also in the flamingo aviary, the small walkthrough part in Safari lodge was closed because some birds were nesting there too

- New birds in the flamingo aviary (Most moved in from Taiga aviary): Demoiselle crane, Tufted duck, Northern shoveler, Knob-billed duck

- The taiga aviary is currently only a large group of poles, the owl aviary is a bunch of poles with netting around it, but not yet on top

- The pampas enclosure is now completely finished, and the map says the rhea's have now moved in. I can't say this for sure however, because the monkey island was (sadly) closed and I didn't see the rhea's in the pampas enclosure either

- A small mesh tunnel aviary near Jungle trail is now completely empty (Formerly a squirrel enclosure, according to my cousin, who lives close by. But she hadn't been there for a few years either)

I'm sure I'll remember other things later so I'll probably send more updates later today

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Mr Gharial

The bridge next to the bush dogs has another bridge sort of built over it (now sure how to explain it), you can walk over it but you can't get very close to the Bush dog enclosure

KevinB likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This area was always a wet area, with the water level only just below the visitor bridge. So I guess the water probably hasn't drained sufficiently to allow normal access to the area.

Building a temporary walkway over it is a good temporary solution.

4. Mr Gharial

The water was below the usual bridge, but it the wood seemed rotten and covered in algae (I assume also slippery)

5. Mr Gharial

Other things I just remembered:

I saw all the birds in the Vreemde vogels aviary, apart from the two ibises. Which isn't really news, but it is odd, as ibises are usually rather easy to spot. Maybe they are behind the scenes?

Also didn't spot any greater kudu's in the savannah enclosure, not in the separation enclosure either

The green anaconda in the terrarium house near the tapirs is either gone or behind the scenes (Signage is also gone)

The bridge that leads to the upper path in Puna aviary is gone, probably because of corona

The red-legged seriema wasn't in the aviary outside the monkey island, but the red howlers were (Monkey island was closed, so I couldn't check if they were free-roaming or in another spot)

Southern bald ibises and Hamerkops were also nesting in the flamingo aviary (though I didn't see any eggs)

6. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

The last animal died recently.

7. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

I visited GaiaZoo a few days prior to your visit. I noticed a sign at the former owl aviary stating that the avairy won't be rebuild and that the area (of the aviary) will be added to the wolf enclosure in autumn of this year. The taiga aviary is expected to be rebuild around the end of the year according to a sign at the aviary.

8. Mr Gharial

Well, that's a real shame. I've never seen ravens in real life and was hoping that my recent visit would be the first time. It looked like a pretty cool aviary as well

9. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Indeed, I forgot to mention that maybe a new aviary will be constructed somewhere in the zoo to house the Eurasian eagle-owls (not sure about the other species). But they aren't sure whether this will actually happen.

Kifaru Bwana and Mr Gharial like this.
  10. KevinB

11. MennoPebesma

Some news from the Dutch zoo magazine "De Harpij":

- In the flamingo aviary about 100 flamingos were born this breeding season.
    - The 2019 lion twins have moved to other zoos. The male went to Dortmund and the female to Ölands Djurpark in Sweden.
    - Recently, several European hamsters and garden dormice have been released into the wild or relocated to Tallinn Zoo in Estonia.

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow. In this tempo, European zoos will soon get drowned in tsunami of Greater flamingos :) . This is great result.

But it would be nice too if other species also got their champion producing three-digit per season. For example European zoo population of Chileans is getting aged and would need similar boost.

13. MennoPebesma

GaiaZOO has started the reconstruction of the Taiga aviary. Unlike the former Taiga aviary, this will not be a walk-through aviary. In the future, visitors will be able to watch the birds from an observation hut and a covered path around the aviary. This is to ensure that the birds can always be seen, even during periods when avian flu is present.

The new design for the aviary can be seen on the GaiaZOO website: BouwDagBoek 2022 - GaiaZOO

14. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

What birds lived In the old taiga aviary?

MennoPebesma likes this.
  15. MennoPebesma

According to Zootierliste the following birds lived in the former Taiga aviary:

- Azure-winged magpie (Cyanopica cyanus cyanus)
    - Baer's pochard (Aythya baeri)
    - Baikal teal (Sibirionetta formosa)
    - Cheer pheasant (Catreus wallichii)
    - Common hoopoe (Upupa epops)
    - Common redshank (Tringa totanus)
    - Demoiselle crane (Anthropoides virgo)
    - Eurasian black vulture (Aegypius monachus)
    - Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus)
    - European roller (Coracias garrulus)
    - European thick-knee (Burhinus oedicnemus oedicnemus)
    - European Turtle dove (Streptopelia turtur turtur)
    - Glossy ibis (Plegadis falcinellus)
    - Marbled teal (Marmaronetta angustirostris)
    - Northern bald ibis (Geronticus eremita)
    - Northern shoveler (Spatula clypeata)
    - Pied avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)
    - Red-breasted goose (Branta ruficollis)
    - Rock pigeon (Columba livia)
    - Scaly-sided merganser (Mergus squamatus)
    - Western Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus percnopterus)
    - Western eurasian griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus fulvus)
    - White-headed duck (Oxyura leucocephala)

A number of these species are currently behind the scenes, others have been placed in other aviaries within GaiaZOO. In addition, a number of species have also been (temporarily) moved to other zoos.

Platypusboy and JurassicMax like this.
  16. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There will be a new entrance building too as it is written at the bottom of the page.

17. KevinB

Personally I find it a little odd that things seem to be looked at bit differently between Belgium and the Netherlands - in Belgium walk-through aviaries are allowed to remain open duing avian flu periods.

18. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Regrettable, it was definitely 1 of the nicer and better walk-through aviaries I've seen.

MennoPebesma and StoppableSan like this.
  19. Mr Gharial

- Gaiazoo has recieved a Jamaican boa in the Tropical terrarium, as well as six Guadeloupean anolises (held in the same enclosure) from Burgers' zoo , which are already breeding

- During the lockdown GAIAzoo has decided to re-do all of the wooden walkways near the capuchin monkeys, these are expected to be done in a few days

- The Taiga aviary is expected to reopen in April

- The entrance area is being rebuilt. So there's a temporary entrance/exit area elsewhere

Last edited: 1 Feb 2022
  20. GreatApeFan7

GreatApeFan7 Active Member

Not sure if this is 100% correct, but gorilla database Gorillasland lists former Pairi Daiza resident Lomako as GaiaZoo's new silverback.

Gorillas Land | Gaia Zoo