Join our zoo community

GaiaZOO Kerkrade GaiaPark Kerkrade Zoo

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Orycteropus, 10 Apr 2009.

1. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

It would also fit in nicely with the Limburghuis and the focus on more local/native species.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

GaiaZoo changed quite a lot compared to my first visit (2005). I could only recall the wolverine/musk ox/reindeer area in the Taiga section (it was called "Mammoetroute" at my first visit), with many new enclosures en several new species. The Rainforest section ("Evenaartocht" in the past) didn't change that much enclosure wise, but it did on the field of species. The Savanna section (former "Dinosafari") now contains enclosures for lions, rhinos and the large aviary.

Unfortunately the squirrel monkey area is closed due to covid-19 with risk of infection of the monkeys. Because of that, white-lipped peccary, howler monkey, seriema and rhea aren't visible either.

3. AWP

I mentioned the names that were used in the past above. Nowadays this original concept is more or less lost. Gaia used to name the three main sections after three major eras in the paleontological history of Limburg: the Carboniferous ("Evenaartocht", equatorial journey), the Late Cretaceous ("Dinosafari") and Pleistocene ("Mammoetroute", mammoth route).

Well, I understood this concept and liked the idea, but species wise only the "Mammoetroute" made real sense. Sure, I got the point of displaying modern rainforest species in the section with reference to the warm and wet forest of the Carboniferous and the modern (African) megafauna in the "dinosaur" section, but it was still a bit odd. There are still some scattered remains of the former concept, most notably the models of mammoth, wooly rhino and giant deer (Eryops and Arthropleura are still signed, but I couldn't see the models in the dense vegetation).

If Gaia had stick to the original concept, some ideas to do it right:
    * a tropical hall divided in two sections, the first one for the Carboniferous with terraria/aquaria for arthropods, giant salamanders and lungfish, and the second with a Indopacific theme representing the coastal area of Limburg in the Late Cretaceous with estuarine crocodiles, Komodo dragons and magpie geese among others;
    * "Tegelen", species of the interglacial periods like rhinos, elephants, leopards, macaques, deer and hippos;
    * "Mammoetsteppe", more or less the current Taiga section, including lions and spotted hyenas.

Above writing is just an observation, for sure no critics. I had some memories of Gaia, but I was really impressed this week, surely one of the most beautiful Dutch zoos (I regard Burgers as the best at the moment).

4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I liked the original concept of GaiaZoo (which was originally named Gaiapark) but I think there perhaps two reasons for it being changed: firstly that it was perhaps a bit of a difficult concept to really understand for "average" visitors without much biological or scientific background knowledge, and secondly, that the areas representing the past of Limburg (Cretaceous, Ice Age, Carboniferous) have largely or entirely been filled with new animal exhibits. The Ice Age area is now the Barbary macaque and lynx area, the Cretaceous area has been replaced with the lion and meerkat/porcupine exhibits, and the Carboniferous area has been partially filled up with the bush dog exhibit.

I think the current concept of four main zones (Limburg, Taiga, Rainforest and Savanna) is a little simpler and more comprehensive with the short descriptors, and I also think doing section representing certain geographical areas and/or ecosystems allows for a little more flexibility in terms of species choice than having to strictly follow a certain concept.

That said, while the current section descriptors are pretty nice, the Taiga descriptors is really the only one that isn't truly accurate, as most of the species housed there do not live in taiga or boreal forest habitats. Some of the species choices in the Taiga are also a bit of stretch (such as the Australian aviary, which I believe I have read is currently closed to Covid-19 though). But nonetheless Taiga is probably my favorite section of GaiaZoo, even if the others are also very nice.

I agree that GaiaZoo is probably one of the best - and definitely one of my favorite - Dutch zoos. Normally I visit GaiaZoo a few times per year as it not far away or difficult to reach from where I live, but unfortunately I have not been able to get to GaiaZoo in 2020 due to the Covid-19 situation. I really hope I will be able to visit again in 2021.

Jungle Man, Ursus, AWP and 2 others like this.
  5. AWP

It is closed at the moment.

Species in the "Taiga" are more paleartic/holarctic species than true taiga species, but that is mainly okay for me. It is a good thing GaiaZoo draws attention to exotic animals in the Netherlands and the problems they give with the "Vreemde Vogels" aviary for parakeets etc and the enclosure for skunks and raccoons next to it, but I would rather see these in the Limburg section instead of the "Taiga".

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Flamingo-colony in the new aviary is a huge succes : sofar more then 50 chicks have hatched this year !

Jana, Antoine, snowleopard and 4 others like this.
  7. KevinB

Jarne, Dustin1999, AWP and 4 others like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really chuffed with the new development: At last some positive engagement on beavers in a riverine landscape.

FYI: The population in Limburg has expanded significantly in recent years and has redesigned the Maas riverine habitat. There has unfortunately been some negative feedback on their numbers and damage to dyke systems. Well, we Dutch like to design straight unnatural canals to leverage and divert water as quickly as possible to open sea ... This of course is not the natural way of rivers and thankfully we are on the way back from that ill-advised policy. Frequent flooding and the realisation we need water buffers along our rivers have enabled nature restoration to take effect. For me personally, beavers and otters are a welcome addition back into the ecosystem river and riverine habitat and ensure other wildlife and new and often rare plantlife may prosper.

Dustin1999, Jungle Man and KevinB like this.
  9. KevinB

A Red-howler monkey was born at GaiaZoo.

GaiaZOO

10. KevinB

A male Brazilian or lowland tapir was transferred from AquaZoo Leeuwarden to GaiaZoo to join their remaining female, at the request of the breeding program coordinator.

GaiaZOO

11. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Oh no -the Gaiza zoo stops with musk oxen, and that because of an impossible reason !

15 years of musk oxen
    Actually, climate change is responsible for next year's beautiful project. We thought back and forth for a long time before we decided to part with our musk oxen. The animals were the very first residents with us at GaiaZOO. We are all experiencing climate change first hand. Long-lasting heat waves have become the norm in our country as well. Musk oxen do not tolerate heat. The well-being of the animals is our top priority. We are convinced that the climate is no longer species-appropriate for the oxen and consider it our responsibility to provide them with better housing. This is a decision that has been particularly difficult for us, because the musk oxen are very popular with all our colleagues. It is paradoxical that after many years a calf was born now of all times. Nevertheless, we are happy that we can relocate the young animal together with its mother to another zoo.
    We are proud to look back on 15 years of hosting musk oxen at GaiaZOO. They were our first residents in 2005. However, as our summers are getting hotter and longer due to climate change, we can no longer justify keeping these animals in our zoo. We are the only Dutch zoo where these animals have been seen and over the years several musk oxen have seen the light of day at GaiaZOO.

Musk oxen should not tolerate heat ? Funny-that didn't bother anyone there when they bought the animals 15 years ago-and I'm sure there were already hot summers in the Netherlands 15 years ago, they're not a modern invention! And now all of a sudden this should not work anymore ? Musk oxen are kept in so many zoos in Europe with great success-even in Bern-there they are very proud to be the southernmost keeper of this species. Yes, cub mortality is extremely high in all zoos in Europe, but it is just enough to maintain a small but stable population. Well, I think 38°C for 5-6 months is not a problem for musk oxen. In Greenland and Canada it is also getting warm - the climate change does not stop in front of Greenland and Canada...Besides, also the snow leopard does not tolerate heat, and feels very well in Germany and San Diego - they breed like rats, and they would hardly do that if they did not feel well...they can be kept even in Arabia - why not? No - I think this argument with the heat is irrelevant and far-fetched. Such a nonsense - musk oxen do not tolerate heat, Ts, Ts....You can keep all animals in captivity, no matter where and from what climate they come. Where would the zoos go, if they would follow the climate with regard to their animal populations?

FBBird likes this.
  12. 16217

16217 Well-Known Member

Soooo, you are saying that keeping king penguins outside in lets say rotterdam is a good idea? Because if we follow your theory that every animal can be kept in captivity no matter where and what climate they come from, this should work right......?

I think it's fair that Gaia zoo currently is trying to get a better home for their musk oxen and the environment definitely plays a big role in keeping certain species, you can't just keep a red-footed tortoise in greenland outside.

13. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You should ignore @Bib Fortuna . He does have a good point, but manages to pack it in such a thick layer of sarcasm, you have to know him, to understand it.

What @Bib Fortuna ignores is that the past 3 summers were extreme, even compared to 15 years ago. Never before was it this hot, for such long periods in the country (and again your 38 degrees for 5-6 months is complete b*llshit, not supported by science). So their reasoning is not that farfetched and it only adds to the fact (that you kind of seem to understand) that keeping Musk Ox in a temperate maritime climate is at the edge of what is acceptable anyway for Musk Ox (see the frequent losses in Gaiazoo and Cologne). Keeping them in areas with more continental climates (Bern, Berlin) seems to go better, so it is not only temperature, but also humidity...

14. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

This does raise the question whether we can still keep arctic/polar species outdoors with extreme summers becoming more frequent. Nonetheless its a shame to lose such a interesting species in The Netherlands, especially when their enclosure gets transformed into a South-American pampa exhibit....

Antoine likes this.
  15. KevinB

Has anyone heard of similar climate-related welfare issues with other Arctic species like reindeer, polar bears or Arctic foxes? For the most part those species seem to be doing relatively well in Western European zoos right now, and while there might be some concerns for those animals during the summer months, they seem manageable. I haven't really heard of or read about any severe issues with those species. Perhaps there is something in the biology of musk oxen that makes them especially sensitive?

South Limburg where GaiaZoo is in fact one of the hottest regions of the Netherlands, and also more rainy/humid then some of the other hotter regions. So that also might play a role. Perhaps musk oxen might do better in a region that is more coastal and/or cooler. In any case, whatever the reason might be, despite the recent birth musk oxen over the years didn't really do well at GaiaZoo, and thus while I regret the loss of the species, I do understand the choice they made. I do hope that musk oxen will be able to maintained in some European zoos, and that we will be able to see them again at some point somewhere in the low countries (Pairi Daiza?).

That said, I'm not very excited about the plans for an extended South America area with a pampas exhibit (in which the tapirs really wouldn't be correctly placed). I don't dislike South American pampas exhibits, but personally I would prefer if they space would be continued to be used for a northern species. Personally I think that something like moose or wisent could be a nice addition to the Taiga collection (and in the case of wisent there is also a nice zoo-related conservation story).

snowleopard and JurassicMax like this.
  16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I know that Minnesota Zoo has cared for Musk Ox for many years and there have been issues in the hot summer months. One would think that a U.S. state such as Minnesota would be a prime location for Musk Ox to thrive due to the harsh winters, and the zoo has held large herds in the past and continues to exhibit that species today. However, I have it on good authority that the Musk Ox struggle in the summer months, often panting in the heat and not being good display animals as they sit in a few shady locations all day long and hardly move around. Even my local Greater Vancouver Zoo, with only a few days of snow per year, is not a good destination for Musk Ox as they require colder temperatures. I think that GaiaZOO getting out of the species is the ethical thing to do.

Kifaru Bwana, ZooBinh, KevinB and 3 others like this.
  17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Berlin and Warsaw, for example, have muskox paddocks mostly shaded by trees. If I remember well, Gaiapark has completely open paddock. So they decided to rebuild this part instead of providing shade.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. vogelcommando

Heavy snow has caushed a lot of damage to a number of aviaries at GAIA Zoo and several birds escaped. Most of them have been catched again in the meantime and only 2 pigeons and 1 Redshank are still missing. The Taiga-aviary is so badly damaged that it prob. has to be build partly / completly new and also the new Flamingo-aviary is badly effected but most prob. repearable in the time coming ...

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I did see the pictures. A real bummer.

20. vogelcommando

Article about the leaving of the musk oxes

Muskoxen leave Dutch zoo due to global warming