Join our zoo community

Gecko eggs

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Monty, 7 Mar 2009.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My wife emptied old dirt out of a pot and found these eggs. one got broken and contained a Gecko. It is still alive but looks premature. We reburied the eggs where they were.

Are there any reptile keepers who know if I could hatch them more successfuly than just burying them and hopeing for the best.

[​IMG]

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

What type are they? You could use a polystyrine box with a heat mat and thermostat. The temperature should be oniline somewhere, along with loads of other info.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Geckos normally lay only two eggs at a time - lopoks like it may be a communal species, but ther should be six or eight eggs.

NSW DEC is quite strict about this sort of thing - stick them back in the ground and hope for the best. The problem is, now that the eggs have been moved, the embryos will probably die - reptile eggs don't get turned like bird eggs.

Hix

4. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe they were the Southern Marbled Gecko.

I had no idea that several Geckos would lay their eggs in one place, although the eggs were bigger han I would have expected and for one to have all those eggs in her would not be possable. I thought that maby one Gecko had layed all the eggs over several weeks.

The one which was in the broken egg only lived a few hours. Hopefuly as the eggs were fairly advanced the young may survive the move and still hatch.

Finding these eggs has got me much more interested in Geckos.