Join our zoo community

Gembira Loka Zoo Gembira Loka Zoo

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Peter Dickinson, 10 Nov 2009.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

My visit to the Gembira Loka Zoo took place shortly after the 2006 earthquake. The zoo like much of the city of Yogyakarta was in a bit of a mess. I would like to re-visit and see how things have come together. Difficult to be too critical about a place that was suffering so much from the effects of nature coupled with financial and staff problems. EAZA did set aside some funds to help out. Saw my biggest ever Komodo Dragon here and the largest group of Proboscis monkeys.

Salt Merchant likes this.
  2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Peter any idea about the size or weight of the Dragon?

3. Peter Dickinson

Difficult to be sure Mark but I could give a good guess that it was around 3+ metres and must have weighed over a hundred kilos. I have seen a lot of large Komodos (and other monitors) but the Gembira Loka one does stick in my memory.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

3 plus metres :eek:, Geezzz do you have any pics

5. Peter Dickinson

No, sorry. I may have done once but they would have been very poor quality because I had no camera as such.

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

8. Salt Merchant

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Salt Merchant

I hate autocorrect.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

UsToo!

11. Kifaru Bwana

Interesting feature from Mongabay News on the elephant program at Gembira Loka Zoo. All elephants are listed: MM Argo (breeder), Inta and FF Sinta, Natasya, Sobaya, Cempaka, Gilang Seiji, and calf Arinta (born March 2020).

It is reported that with the introduction of both Seblat ETC originating cows Sinta and Natasya the zoo is now focussed on breeding. Previously, they found with reproductive evaluations that some of their females have developed reproductive cysts and problems have arisen (no individual elephants have been named though). So, both Sinta and Natasya are thought of as potential and good candidates for breeding and now also Seiji is reported to be pregnant (she was due in October 2020). No news in October last year though ...???

Interesting piece of history both M Argo and F Gilang were transferred from the Sultanate's Palace enclosure in 2009. The female Khoriah (Way Kambas name) is not named now, it may be she has been renamed. A final piece of information: the last birth at Gembira Loka before calf Arinta in 2020 was in 1992 28 years ago.

Perhaps our Indonesian zoo fans can find out a little more on some of the open ends and answer the questions given here!

LINK:
    A) Menyambut Kehadiran Arinta, Bayi Gajah dari Gembira Loka
    B) 2 Gajah Gembira Loka Bunting Tua, Ini Perawatan Kesehatan untuk Mereka » JOGLOSEMAR NEWS

Last edited: 25 Jun 2021
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Added the link to the second pregnancy from February 2020.

13. Salt Merchant

Two African penguins, Trena and Pigo, has hatched. FYI, Gembira Loka Zoo acquired 6 penguins, three male and three female, from Singapore Zoo in 2013.
    Login • Instagram

14. Salt Merchant

15. Salt Merchant

16. Salt Merchant

Via Instagram story, GLZ showcase an new exhibit for the Zona Cakar (Claw Zone) with what appear to be an leopard, possibly Javan.

Zona Cakar is first opened in 2019, showcasing carnivores such as sun bear, Sumatran tiger, Asian small-clawed otter, fishing cat, caracal, serval, Sunda clouded leopard, and recently leopard. GLZ planned to add jaguar and hyena in the future.

17. Salt Merchant

18. Salt Merchant

Gembira Loka Zoo has acquired several alpacas for their Petting Zoo.

Additionally, there's couple of updates on the zoo's various zones. After years of closure since the start of the pandemic, the zoo has reopen the Aquarium, called "Zona Aquarium" (Aquarium Zone). Inhabitants of this old-styled aquarium include various freshwater and saltwater fishes, like discus, tinfoil barbs, banded leporinus, red-bellied piranhas, and most notably an white-edge freshwater whipray, among others.

A new zone, called "Zona Primata" (Primate Zone), will soon be opened. Current inhabitants are common marmosets and Guianan squirrel monkey, both were already displayed at the zone.

19. Salt Merchant

As the zone has recently been opened, several species of primates has been revealed by the zoo as part of the new "Zona Primata", aside from the common marmosets and Guianan squirrel monkey. These primates are black-tufted marmoset, Tonkean macaque, and siamang.

More species might come soon. The ring-tailed lemur, East Javan langur, Celebes crested macaque, and agile gibbon are shown in the zoo's promotional banner for the Primate Zone, so they might possibly be exhibited at the new zone soon.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  20. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Wonder what happened to the supposed 2nd part of Zona Cakar with spotted hyenas and jaguars? Was it cancelled? Haven't seen any updates since 2019